Dual mechanisms governing muscle cell death in tadpole tail during amphibian metamorphosis
Article first published online: 14 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 2, pages 246–255, June 2003
How to Cite
Nakajima, K. and Yaoita, Y. (2003), Dual mechanisms governing muscle cell death in tadpole tail during amphibian metamorphosis. Dev. Dyn., 227: 246–255. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10300
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2003
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2002
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: 14599007
- 1998a. The expression pattern of thyroid hormone response genes in remodeling tadpole tissues defines distinct growth and resorption gene expression programs. Dev Biol 203: 24–35. , , , .
- 1998b. The expression pattern of thyroid hormone response genes in the tadpole tail identifies multiple resorption programs. Dev Biol 203: 12–23. , , .
- 1993. bcl-x, a bcl-2-related gene that functions as a dominant regulator of apoptotic cell death. Cell 74: 597–608. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cloning, characterization and expression of two Xenopus bcl-2-like cell-survival genes. Gene 158: 171–179. , .
- 2002. Multiple thyroid hormone-induced muscle growth and death programs during metamorphosis in Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 12230–12235. , , , .
- 1975. The induction of collagenase by thyroxine in resorbing tadpole tailfin in vitro. Dev Biol 44: 217–222. , , , .
- 1993. Thyroid hormone-dependent transcriptional regulation of exogenous genes transferred into Xenopus tadpole muscle in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 7322–7326. , , .
- 1979. The induction of collagenase and acid phosphatase by thyroxine in resorbing tadpole gills in vitro. J Exp Zool 207: 391–398. , , .
- 1976. In: LoftsB, editor. Physiology of the amphibia. New York: Academic Press. p 467–599. , .
- 1999. Novel structural elements identified during tail resorption in Xenopus laevis metamorphosis: Lessons from tailed frogs. Dev Biol 215: 243–252. , , .
- 1994. Disruption of epithelial cell-matrix interactions induces apoptosis. J Cell Biol 124: 619–626. , .
- 1994. Divergent dimerization properties of mutant beta 1 thyroid hormone receptors are associated with different dominant negative activities. Mol Endocrinol 8: 841–851. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Metamorphosis is inhibited in transgenic Xenopus laevis tadpoles that overexpress type III deiodinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 962–967. , , .
- 2001. Timing of metamorphosis and the onset of the negative feedback loop between the thyroid gland and the pituitary is controlled by type II iodothyronine deiodinase in Xenopus laevis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 7348–7353. , , , .
- 2000. Requirement for matrix metalloproteinase stromelysin-3 in cell migration and apoptosis during tissue remodeling in Xenopus laevis. J Cell Biol 150: 1177–1188. , , , , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinases mediate the dismantling of mesenchymal structures in the tadpole tail during thyroid hormone-induced tail resorption. Dev Dyn 223: 402–413. , , , .
- 1974. An electron-microscope study of cell deletion in the anuran tadpole tail during spontaneous metamorphosis with special reference to apoptosis of striated muscle fibers. J Cell Sci 14: 571–585. , , .
- 1998. TIMP-2 promotes activation of progelatinase A by membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase immobilized on agarose beads. J Biol Chem 273: 16098–16103. , , , , , , .
- 1977. La tiiodothyronine, hormone de la metamorphose des Amphibiens. C R Acad Sci 284: 2261–2263. , .
- 1992. Subunit stoichiometry of a mammalian K(+) channel determined by construction of multimeric cDNAs. Neuron 9: 861–871. , , .
- 1993. The extracellular matrix as a cell survival factor. Mol Biol Cell 4: 953–961. , , .
- 1997. Comparison of three nonviral transfection methods for foreign gene expression in early chicken embryos in ovo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 230: 376–380. , , , .
- 2000. Structure, expression, and function of the Xenopus laevis caspase family. J Biol Chem 275: 10484–10491. , , .
- 1956. Normal table of Xenopus laevis. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company. , .
- 1994. Isoform transition of contractile proteins related to muscle remodeling with an axial gradient during metamorphosis in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 165: 86–94. , .
- 1995. Spatial, temporal and hormonal regulation of programmed muscle cell death during metamorphosis of the frog Xenopus laevis. Differentiation 59: 207–214. , .
- 1990. Dominant negative transcriptional regulation by a mutant thyroid hormone receptor-beta in a family with generalized resistance to thyroid hormone. Mol Endocrinol 4: 1988–1994. , , , .
- 1989. Repression of transcription mediated at a thyroid hormone response element by the v-erb-A oncogene product. Nature 340: 242–244. , , , , .
- 1994. A thyroid hormone-regulated gene in Xenopus laevis encodes a type III iodothyronine 5-deiodinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 7767–7771. , , , , , , .
- 1966. Requirement for RNA and protein synthesis for induced regression of the tadpole tail in organ culture. Dev Biol 13: 77–94. .
- 1996. Dominant-negative mutant thyroid hormone receptors prevent transcription from Xenopus thyroid hormone receptor beta gene promoter in response to thyroid hormone in Xenopus tadpoles in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 1205–1209. , , , , , .
- 2000. Developmentally and regionally regulated participation of epidermal cells in the formation of collagen lamella of anuran tadpole skin. Dev Growth Differ 42: 571–580. , , , , , .
- 1993. Thyroid hormone-induced gene expression program for amphibian tail resorption. J Biol Chem 268: 16270–16278. , .
- 1964. Ultrastructural changes in regressing tail muscles of Xenopus larvae at metamorphosis. J Cell Biol 22: 481–487. .
- 1997. Induction of apoptosis and CPP32 expression by thyroid hormone in a myoblastic cell line derived from tadpole tail. J Biol Chem 272: 5122–5127. , .
- 1990. Xenopus laevis alpha and beta thyroid hormone receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 7090–7094. , , .