Folic acid and homocysteine affect neural crest and neuroepithelial cell outgrowth and differentiation in vitro
Article first published online: 18 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 2, pages 301–308, June 2003
How to Cite
Boot, M. J., Steegers-Theunissen, R. P.M., Poelmann, R. E., Van Iperen, L., Lindemans, J. and Gittenberger-De Groot, A. C. (2003), Folic acid and homocysteine affect neural crest and neuroepithelial cell outgrowth and differentiation in vitro. Dev. Dyn., 227: 301–308. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10303
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2003
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 4 NOV 2002
- 1981. A differentiation antigen of human NK and K cells identified by a monoclonal antibody (HNK-1). J Immunol 127: 1024–1029. , .
- 2000. Hypothesis: folate-responsive neural tube defects and neurocristopathies. Teratology 62: 42–50. , .
- 1954. Congenital cardiovascular anomalies induced by pteroylglutamic acid deficiency during gestation in the rat. Circ Res 2: 544–554. , , , .
- 1996. Onset of elastogenesis and downregulation of smooth muscle actin as distinguishing phenomena in artery differentiation in the chick embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl) 194: 545–557. , , , .
- 1996. Periconceptional multivitamin use and the occurrence of conotruncal heart defects: results from a population-based, case-control study. Pediatrics 98: 911–917. , , , .
- 1999. Neural-tube defects. N Engl J Med 341: 1509–1519. , , , .
- 2002. Effect of elevated homocysteine on cardiac neural crest migration in vitro. Dev Dyn 224: 222–230. , .
- 2001. Effects of homocysteine on proliferation, necrosis, and apoptosis of vascular smooth muscle cells in culture and influence of folic acid. Thromb Res 104: 207–213. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Folic acid inhibits homocysteine-induced proliferation of human arterial smooth muscle cells. J Vasc Surg 30: 1121–1128. , , , , .
- 1996. Midline congenital anomalies: the estimated occurrence among American Indian and Alaska Native infants. Clin Genet 50: 74–77. , .
- 2001. Towards a cellular and molecular understanding of neurulation. Dev Dyn 221: 117–145. , .
- 1992. Prevention of the first occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. N Engl J Med 327: 1832–1835. , .
- 2001. The effects of folic acid application on IL-1beta levels of human gingival fibroblasts stimulated by phenytoin and TNFalpha in vitro: a preliminary study. J Oral Sci 43: 255–260. , , , , .
- 2000. Migration of cardiac neural crest cells in Splotch embryos. Development 127: 1869–1878. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Embryonic folate metabolism and mouse neural tube defects. Science 280: 2107–2109. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2000. Folic acid antagonists during pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 343: 1608–1614. , , , .
- 1987. Homocysteinemia due to folate deficiency. Metabolism 36: 458–462. , , .
- 1985. Characterization of conotruncal malformations following ablation of “cardiac” neural crest. Anat Rec 213: 87–93. , , .
- 1981. Double-blind randomised controlled trial of folate treatment before conception to prevent recurrence of neural-tube defects. Br Med J 282: 1509–1511. , , , , .
- 1993. Accelerated folate breakdown in pregnancy. Lancet 341: 148–149. , , , , .
- 1995. Homocysteine metabolism in pregnancies complicated by neural-tube defects. Lancet 345: 149–151. , , , , , , .
- MRC Vitamin Study Research Group. 1991. Prevention of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study. Lancet 338: 131–137.
- 1988. Periconceptional use of multivitamins and the occurrence of neural tube defects. JAMA 260: 3141–3145. , , , .
- 1999. Rapid and accurate HPLC assay for plasma total homocysteine and cysteine in a clinical laboratory setting. Clin Chem 45: 290–292. , , .
- 1999. Mice lacking the folic acid-binding protein Folbp1 are defective in early embryonic development. Nat Genet 23: 228–232. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Neural crest cells in outflow tract septation of the embryonic chicken heart: differentiation and apoptosis. Dev Dyn 212: 373–384. , , .
- 1988. The aetiology and pathogenesis of craniofacial deformity. Development 103 (Suppl): 207–212. .
- 2001. Genes, folate and homocysteine in embryonic development. Proc Nutr Soc 60: 53–61. , .
- 1996. Homocysteine induces congenital defects of the heart and neural tube: effect of folic acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 15227–15232. , , .
- 1999. N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor agonists modulate homocysteine-induced developmental abnormalities. FASEB J 13: 1523–1531. , , .
- 1995a. Risks of orofacial clefts in children born to women using multivitamins containing folic acid periconceptionally. Lancet 346: 393–396. , , , , .
- 1995b. Maternal periconceptional use of multivitamins and reduced risk for conotruncal heart defects and limb deficiencies among offspring. Am J Med Genet 59: 536–545. , , , , .
- 1991. Neural-tube defects and derangement of homocysteine metabolism. N Engl J Med 324: 199–200. , , , .
- 1995. Neural tube defects and elevated homocysteine levels in amniotic fluid. Am J Obstet Gynecol 172: 1436–1441. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Maternal hyperhomocysteinemia: a risk factor for neural-tube defects? Metabolism 43: 1475–1480. , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Periconceptional supplementation with vitamins and folic acid to prevent recurrence of cleft lip. Lancet 2: 217. .
- 1987. HHF35, a muscles actin-specific monoclonal antibody. I. Immunocytochemical and biochemical characterization. Am J Pathol 126: 51–60. , , , , .