Thyroid transcription factor (TTF) -1 regulates the expression of midkine (MK) during lung morphogenesis
Version of Record online: 24 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 2, pages 227–237, June 2003
How to Cite
Reynolds, P. R., Mucenski, M. L. and Whitsett, J. A. (2003), Thyroid transcription factor (TTF) -1 regulates the expression of midkine (MK) during lung morphogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 227: 227–237. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10304
- Issue online: 15 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 24 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2003
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HL56387, HD07463
- 1998. Truncated midkine as a marker of diagnosis and detection of nodal metastases in gastrointestinal carcinomas. Br J Cancer 78: 472–477. , , , , , .
- 1994. Lung-specific surfactant protein B gene promoter is a target for thyroid transcription factor 1 and hepatocyte nuclear factor 3 indicating common mechanisms for organ-specific gene expression along the foregut axis. Mol Cell Biol 14: 5671–5681. , , , .
- 1997. An angiogenic role for the neurokines midkine and pleiotrophin in tumorgenesis. Cancer Res 57: 1814–1819. , , , , .
- 2001. Transcription factors in mouse lung development and function. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280: L823–L838. , , .
- 1992. Characterization of an angiogenic determinant preferentially expressed by type I epithelial cells in the murine thymus. J Histochem Cytochem 40: 651–664. , , .
- 1993. Reciprocal expression of pleiotrophin and midkine in normal versus malignant lung tissues. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 9: 463–466. , , .
- 1990. Thyroid nuclear factor (TTF-1) contains a homeodomain and displays a novel DNA binding specificity. EMBO J 9: 3631–3639. , , , , , .
- 1992. Epithelial morphogenesis. Cell 69: 385–387. .
- 2000. Neointima formation in to restenosis model is suppressed in midkine-deficient mice. J Clin Invest 105: 489–495. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. cDNA cloning and sequencing of a new gene intensely expressed in early differentiation stages of embryonal carcinoma cells and in mid-gestation period of mouse embryogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 151: 1312–1318. , , .
- 1990. A retinoic acid responsive gene MK found in teratocarcinoma system is expressed in spatially and temporally controlled manner during mouse embryogenesis. J Cell Biol 110: 607–616. , , , , .
- 1996. The expression of truncated MK in human tumors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 219: 256–260. , , , , , .
- 2002. The growth factor midkine is modulated by glucocorticoid and retinoid in fetal lung development. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 28: 33–41. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The transcription factor Gata-6 is essential for branching morphogenesis and epithelial cell differentiation during fetal pulmonary development. Development 128: 503–511. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The T/EBP null mouse: thyroid-specific enhancer-binding protein is essential for the organogenesis of the thyroid, lung, ventral forebrain and pituitary. Genes Dev 10: 60–69. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Midkine enhances fibrinolytic activity in bovine endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 270: 9590–9596. , , , .
- 1995. Pleiotrophin and midkine in normal development and tumor biology. Crit Rev Oncog 6: 151–177. , , .
- 1991. The transcription factor TTF-1 is expressed at the onset of thyroid and lung morphogenesis and in ventral regions of the foetal brain. Development 113: 1093–1104. , , , .
- 1999. A receptor-like protein tyrosine phosphatase PTP/RPTP binds a heparin-binding growth factor, midkine. Involvement of arginine 78 of midkine in the high affinity binding to PTP. J Biol Chem 274: 12474–12479. , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of retinoic acid signaling during lung morphogenesis. Development 127: 3057–3067. , , .
- 1994. Functions of the retinoic acid receptor (RARs) during development (II). Multiple abnormalities at various stages of organogenesis in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2749–2771. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Epithelial marker genes are expressed in cultured embryonic rat lung and in vivo with similar spatial and temporal patterns. J Histochem Cytochem 44: 1173–1182. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of the heparin-binding cytokines, midkine (MK) and HB_GAM (pleiotrophin is associated with epithelial-mesenchymal interactions during fetal development and organogenesis. Development 121: 37–51. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of truncated midkine in human colorectal cancers. Cancer Lett 106: 287–291. , , , , , .
- 1997. Midkine expression in human breast cancers: expression of truncated form. Breast Cancer Res Treat 43: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 1991. Thyroid-specific enhancer-binding protein (T/EBP): cDNA cloning, functional characterization, and structural identity with thyroid transcription factor TTF-1. Mol Cell Biol 11: 4927–4933. , , .
- 1991. Purification of recombinant midkine and examination of its biological activities: functional comparison of new heparin binding factors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 177: 652–658. , .
- 1993. Midkine (MK), a retinoic acid-inducible growth/differentiation factor: Immunohistochemical evidence for the function and distribution. Dev Biol 159: 392–402. , , , , .
- 1995. Differential expression of pleiotrophin and midkine in advanced neuroblastoma. Cancer Res 55: 1792–1797. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Temporal/spatial expression of nuclear receptor coactivators in the mouse lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 279: L1066–L1074. , , , .
- 1996. The angiogenic factor, midkine is expressed in bladder cancer, and overexpression correlates with a poor outcome in patients with invasion cancer. Cancer Res 56: 2515–2518. , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular mechanisms controlling lung morphogenesis. Clin Genet 56: 14–27. , .
- 1997. Midkine, a retinoic acid-inducible heparin-binding cytokine in inflammatory responses: chemotactic activity to neutrophils and association with inflammatory synovitis. J Biochem 122: 453–458. , , , , , .
- 1991. Lung development in the mouse embryo. Exp Lung Res 17: 111–130. .
- 1990. A retinoic acid-responsive gene, MK, found in the teratocarcinoma system. Heterogeneity of the transcript and the nature of the translation product. J Biol Chem 295: 10765–10770. , , , .
- 1996. Evaluation of heparin binding growth factors in rescuing morphogenesis of heparitinase-treated mouse embryonic lung explants. Differentiation 61: 161–167. , , , , .
- 1993. A new family of heparin-binding growth/differentiation factors: increased midkine expression in Wilms' tumor and other human carcinomas. Cancer Res 53: 1281–1285. , , , , , .
- 2002. Increased expression in thyroid transcription factor-1 (TTF-1) in respiratory epithelial cells inhibits alveolarization and causes pulmonary inflammation. Dev Biol 242: 75–87. , , , , .
- 1993. Production of immortalized distal respiratory epithelial cell lines from surfactant protein C/simian virus 40 large T antigen transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 11029–11033. , , , , , , .
- 1990. In situ hybridization and the three dimensional reconstruction of serial sections. In: CoppA, CockroftDL, editors. Postimplantation mammalian embryos. London: Oxford University Press. p 155–171. , .
- 2000. Inhibition of distal lung morphogenesis in Nkx2.1 (-/-) embryos. Dev Dyn 217: 180–190. , , , , , .
- 1996. Thyroid transcription facto-1 hepatocyte nuclear factor-3beta, surfactant protein B, C, and Clara cell secretory protein in developing mouse lung. J Histochem Cytochem 44: 1183–1193. , , , .