Characterization of Wnt signaling components and activation of the Wnt canonical pathway in the murine retina
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 3, pages 323–334, July 2003
How to Cite
Liu, H., Mohamed, O., Dufort, D. and Wallace, V. A. (2003), Characterization of Wnt signaling components and activation of the Wnt canonical pathway in the murine retina. Dev. Dyn., 227: 323–334. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10315
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 24 DEC 2002
- National Cancer Institute of Canada. Grant Number: 013116
- 1996. Quantitative analysis of proliferation and cell cycle length during development of the rat retina. Dev Dyn 205: 293–307. , .
- 1997. Subsets of retinal progenitors display temporally regulated and distinct biases in the fates of their progeny. Development 124: 1119–1131. , .
- 1992. A temporally regulated, diffusible activity is required for rod photoreceptor development in vitro. Development 114: 947–957. , .
- 1993. Taurine promotes the differentiation of a vertebrate retinal cell type in vitro. Development 119: 1317–1328. , , , .
- 1995. Vertebrate retinal ganglion cells are selected from competent progenitors by the action of Notch. Development 121: 3637–3650. , , , .
- 1999. Extrinsic and intrinsic factors control the genesis of amacrine and cone cells in the rat retina. Development 126: 555–566. , .
- 1996. A new member of the frizzled family from Drosophila functions as a Wingless receptor. Nature 382: 225–230. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spindles cotton on to junctions, APC and EB1. Nat Cell Biol 3: E67–E68. .
- 1999. Differential expression of the Wnt putative receptors Frizzled during mouse somitogenesis. Mech Dev 89: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 1998. Math5 encodes a murine basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed during early stages of retinal neurogenesis. Development 125: 4821–4833. , , , , , .
- 1996. Ocular retardation mouse caused by Chx10 homeobox null allele: impaired retinal progenitor proliferation and bipolar cell differentiation. Nat Genet 12: 376–384. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Wnt signaling: a common theme in animal development. Genes Dev 11: 3286–3305. , .
- 1993. Retinal cell fate determination. Prog Retin Res 12: 1–13. .
- 1999. Cloning and characterization of a secreted frizzled-related protein that is expressed by the retinal pigment epithelium. Hum Mol Genet 8: 575–583. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Role of Olf-1 and Pax-6 transcription factors in neurodevelopment. J Neurosci 16: 5082–5094. , .
- 1995. Xotch inhibits cell differentiation in the Xenopus retina. Neuron 14: 487–496. , , .
- 1997. Regulation of neuronal diversity in the Xenopus retina by Delta signalling. Nature 385: 67–70. , , , .
- 2002. A transgenic Lef1/beta-catenin-dependent reporter is expressed in spatially restricted domains throughout zebrafish development. Dev Biol 241: 229–237. , , .
- 1998. The transcription factor HNF3beta is required in visceral endoderm for normal primitive streak morphogenesis. Development 125: 3015–3025. , , , .
- 2000. Extraocular mesenchyme patterns the optic vesicle during early eye development in the embryonic chick. Development 127: 4599–4609. , , .
- 2000. rax, Hes1, and notch1 promote the formation of Muller glia by postnatal retinal progenitor cells. Neuron 26: 383–394. , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse development. Genes Dev 4: 2319–2332. , , .
- 1998. Genetic patterning of the posterior neuropore region of curly tail mouse embryos: deficiency of Wnt5a expression. Int J Dev Biol 42: 637–644. , , .
- 2001. Roles of homeobox and bHLH genes in specification of a retinal cell type. Development 128: 1313–1322. , , , .
- 1997. Maintenance of neuroepithelial progenitor cells by delta-notch signalling in the embryonic chick retina. Curr Biol 7: 661–670. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Cellular determination in the xenopus retina is independent of lineage and birth date. Neuron 1: 15–26. , , , .
- 2001. Mouse Wnt receptor gene Fzd5 is essential for yolk sac and placental angiogenesis. Development 128: 25–33. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Analysis of chicken Wnt-13 expression demonstrates coincidence with cell division in the developing eye and is consistent with a role in induction. Dev Dyn 215: 215–224. , , .
- 1997. Expression of Sonic hedgehog and its putative role as a precursor cell mitogen in the developing mouse retina. Development 124: 363–371. , .
- 2002. The expression patterns of Wnts and their antagonists during avian eye development. Mech Dev 116: 173–176. , , .
- 2003. Wnt2b controls retinal cell differentiation at the ciliary marginal zone. Development 130: 587–598. , , .
- 2000. The Wnt/Ca2+ pathway: a new vertebrate Wnt signaling pathway takes shape. Trends Genet 16: 279–283. , , , , .
- 2001. Characterisation of Wnt gene expression during the differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells in vitro: role of Wnt3 in enhancing haematopoietic differentiation. Mech Dev 103: 49–59. , , , , , .
- 1998. Developmental expression patterns of mouse sFRP genes encoding members of the secreted frizzled related protein family. Mech Dev 75: 29–42. , , .
- 1997. Sonic hedgehog promotes rod photoreceptor differentiation in mammalian retinal cells in vitro. J Neurosci 17: 6277–6288. , , , .
- 2001. Expression patterns of Wnt genes in mouse gut development. Mech Dev 105: 181–184. , , , .
- 1995. Changes in retinal cell fate induced by overexpression of EGF receptor. Nature 377: 158–162. .
- 1997. The cysteine-rich frizzled domain of Frzb-1 is required and sufficient for modulation of Wnt signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 11196–11200. , , , , , .
- 1992. The Wnt family of cell signalling molecules in postimplantation development of the mouse. Ciba Found Symp 165: 199–212; discussion 212–218. , , , , .
- 1999. WNT signaling in the control of hair growth and structure. Dev Biol 207: 133–149. , , , , , , .
- 1997. WNTs modulate cell fate and behavior during vertebrate development. Trends Genet 13: 157–162. , , .
- 1999. PAX6 expression in the developing human eye. Br J Ophthalmol 83: 723–727. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Wnt genes. Cell 69: 1073–1087. , .
- 1994. Wnt genes and vertebrate development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 4: 523–528. , .
- 1993. Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb buds. Development 119: 247–261. , , , .
- 1997. A family of secreted proteins contains homology to the cysteine-rich ligand-binding domain of frizzled receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 2859–2863. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesis. Mech Dev 107: 69–82. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of two members of the Wnt family during mouse development—restricted temporal and spatial patterns in the developing neural tube. Genes Dev 5: 381–388. , .
- 1994. Maintenance of Wnt-3 expression in Purkinje cells of the mouse cerebellum depends on interactions with granule cells. Development 120: 1277–1286. , , , , .
- 2002. Wnt7b regulates mesenchymal proliferation and vascular development in the lung. Development 129: 4831–4842. , , , .
- 2000. Wnt signalling in Caenorhabditis elegans: regulating repressors and polarizing the cytoskeleton. Trends Cell Biol 10: 10–17. , , .
- 1995. wingless inhibits morphogenetic furrow movement in the Drosophila eye disc. Development 121: 3519–3527. , .
- 2000. Retinal stem cells in the adult mammalian eye. Science 287: 2032–2036. , , , , , , .
- 1987. A common progenitor for neurons and glia persists in rat retina late in development. Nature 328: 131–136. , .
- 1997. Armadillo coactivates transcription driven by the product of the Drosophila segment polarity gene dTCF. Cell 88: 789–799. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. A Drosophila tissue polarity locus encodes a protein containing seven potential transmembrane domains. Nature 338: 263–264. , , .
- 1999. A role for Sonic hedgehog in axon-to-astrocyte signalling in the rodent optic nerve. Development 126: 2901–2909. , .
- 1996. A large family of putative transmembrane receptors homologous to the product of the Drosophila tissue polarity gene frizzled. J Biol Chem 271: 4468–4476. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Development of normal retinal organization depends on Sonic hedgehog signaling from ganglion cells. Nat Neurosci 5: 831–832. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Rod photoreceptor development in vitro: intrinsic properties of proliferating neuroepithelial cells change as development proceeds in the rat retina. Neuron 2: 461–467. , .
- 1992. Diffusible rod-promoting signals in the developing rat retina. Development 114: 899–906. , .
- 1988. Multipotent precursors can give rise to almost all major cell types of the frog retina. Science 239: 1142–1145. , .
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 59–88. , .
- 1999. A Wnt5a pathway underlies outgrowth of multiple structures in the vertebrate embryo. Development 126: 1211–1223. , , , .
- 1985. Cell proliferation during postnatal development of the retina in the mouse. Dev Brain Res 21: 229–239. .
- 1998. Structure and expression of Wnt13, a novel mouse Wnt2 related gene. Mech Dev 73: 107–116. , , , , , .