Erk pathway and activator protein 1 play crucial roles in FGF2-stimulated premature cranial suture closure
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 227, Issue 3, pages 335–346, July 2003
How to Cite
Kim, H.-J., Lee, M.-H., Park, H.-S., Park, M.-H., Lee, S.-W., Kim, S.-Y., Choi, J.-Y., Shin, H.-I., Kim, H.-J. and Ryoo, H.-M. (2003), Erk pathway and activator protein 1 play crucial roles in FGF2-stimulated premature cranial suture closure. Dev. Dyn., 227: 335–346. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10319
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2003
- The Korean Health 21 R&D Project, Ministry of Health & Welfare, Republic of Korea. Grant Number: 01-PJ3-PG6-01GN11-0002
- 1996. Identical mutations in three different fibroblast growth factor receptor genes in autosomal dominant craniosynostosis syndromes. Nat Genet 14: 174–176. , , , , , , .
- 1994. TGF beta alters growth and differentiation related gene expression in proliferating osteoblasts in vitro, preventing development of the mature bone phenotype. J Cell Physiol 160: 323–335. , , , , , .
- 1997. Activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1 and ERK2) by FGF-2 and PDGF-BB in normal human osteoblastic and bone marrow stromal cells: differences in mobility and in-gel renaturation of ERK1 in human, rat, and mouse osteoblastic cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 238: 134–139. , .
- 1992. Parathyroid hormone induces c-fos and c-jun messenger RNA in rat osteoblastic cells. Mol Endocrinol 6: 1834–1842. , , , , .
- 1995. Abnormal bone growth and selective translational regulation in basic fibroblast growth factor (FGF-2) transgenic mice. Mol Biol Cell 6: 1861–1873. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Physical interaction of the activator protein-1 factors c-Fos and c-Jun with Cbfa1 for collagenase-3 promoter activation. J Biol Chem 277: 816–822. , , , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) increases N-cadherin expression through protein kinase C and Src-kinase pathways in human calvaria osteoblasts. J Cell Biochem 81: 68–81. , , , , , .
- 1997. Osf2/Cbfa1: a transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation. Cell 89: 747–754. , , , , .
- 1997. Mutations of the TWIST gene in the Saethre-Chotzen syndrome. Nat Genet 15: 42–46. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The IIIc alternative of Fgfr2 is a positive regulator of bone formation. Development 129: 3783–3793. , , , , , .
- 2001. AP-1 and Cbfa/runt physically interact and regulate parathyroid hormone-dependent MMP13 expression in osteoblasts through a new osteoblast-specific element 2/AP-1 composite element. J Biol Chem 276: 20029–20038. , , , .
- 1997. Mutations in TWIST, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, in Saethre-Chotzen syndrome. Nat Genet 15: 36–41. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fgfr2 and osteopontin domains in the developing skull vault are mutually exclusive and can be altered by locally applied FGF2. Development 124: 3375–3384. , , , , , .
- 1999. Fgfr1 and Fgfr2 have distinct differentiation- and proliferation-related roles in the developing mouse skull vault. Development 126: 5611–5620. , , .
- 1993. A mutation in the homeodomain of the human MSX2 gene in a family affected with autosomal dominant craniosynostosis. Cell 75: 443–450. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Jackson-Weiss and Crouzon syndromes are allelic with mutations in fibroblast growth factor receptor 2. Nat Genet 8: 275–279. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Increased bone formation and osteosclerosis in mice overexpressing the transcription factor Fra-1. Nat Med 6: 980–984. , , , , , , .
- 1997. AP-1 function and regulation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 9: 240–246. , , .
- 1998. FGF-, BMP- and Shh-mediated signalling pathways in the regulation of cranial suture morphogenesis and calvarial bone development. Development 125: 1241–1251. , , , .
- 2002. Okadaic acid stimulates osteopontin expression through de novo induction of AP-1. J Cell Biochem 87: 93–102. , , , , , .
- 2003. The protein kinase C pathway plays a central role in the FGF-stimulated expression and transactivation activity of Runx2. J Biol Chem 278: 319–326. , , , , , .
- 1999. Involvement of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in basic fibroblast growth factor-induced interleukin-6 synthesis in osteoblasts. J Cell Biochem 74: 479–485. , , , .
- 1997. Differentiation of central nervous system neuronal cells by fibroblast-derived growth factor requires at least two signaling pathways: roles for Ras and Src. Mol Cell Biol 17: 4633–4643. , , .
- 2002. Signal transductions induced by bone morphogenetic protein-2 and transforming growth factor-beta in normal human osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 277: 15514–15522. , .
- 2001. Erk is essential for growth, differentiation, integrin expression, and cell function in human osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 276: 14443–14450. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The Ser252Trp fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 (FGFR-2) mutation induces PKC-independent downregulation of FGFR-2 associated with premature calvaria osteoblast differentiation. Exp Cell Res 256: 158–167. , , , , , .
- 1999. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation is required for fibroblast growth factor-2-stimulated cell proliferation but not differentiation. J Biol Chem 274: 17491–17498. .
- 2002. Regulation of human cranial osteoblast phenotype by FGF-2, FGFR-2 and BMP-2 signaling. Histol Histopathol 17: 877–885. , , .
- 1996. Developmental expression and activities of specific fos and jun proteins are functionally related to osteoblast maturation: role of Fra-2 and Jun D during differentiation. Endocrinology 137: 4398–4408. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Disruption of the fibroblast growth factor-2 gene results in decreased bone mass and bone formation. J Clin Invest 105: 1085–1093. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast-growth-factor receptor mutations in human skeletal disorders. Trends Genet 11: 308–313. , .
- 1994. A common mutation in the fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 gene in Pfeiffer syndrome. Nat Genet 8: 269–274. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling activates the human interstitial collagenase promoter via the bipartite Ets-AP1 element. Mol Endocrinol 11: 1129–1144. , , , , .
- 2001. Differential expression patterns of Runx2 isoforms in cranial suture morphogenesis. J Bone Miner Res 16: 885–892. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Mutations in the fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 gene cause Crouzon syndrome. Nat Genet 8: 98–103. , , , , , .
- 2000. Integration of FGF and TWIST in calvarial bone and suture development. Development 127: 1845–1855. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Gene expression in osteoblastic cells. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 1: 85–98. , .
- 1998. Transcriptional coactivators potentiating AP-1 function in bone. Front Biosci 3: D838–D848. , .
- 1996. Transcriptional control of osteoblast growth and differentiation. Physiol Rev 76: 593–629. , , , , .
- 1997. Differentiation and transforming growth factor-beta receptor down-regulation by collagen-alpha2beta1 integrin interaction is mediated by focal adhesion kinase and its downstream signals in murine osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 272: 29309–29316. , , , , , .
- 1999. Roles of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in the signal transduction of basic fibroblast growth factor in endothelial cells during angiogenesis. Jpn J Cancer Res 90: 647–654. , , .
- 2000. Basic fibroblast growth factor stimulates collagenase-3 promoter activity in osteoblasts through an activator protein-1-binding site. Endocrinology 141: 2185–2191. , , .
- 1996. Transcription factor AP-1 regulation by mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathways. J Mol Med 74: 589–607. , .
- 1995. Apert syndrome results from localized mutations of FGFR2 and is allelic with Crouzon syndrome. Nat Genet 9: 165–172. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. MAPK pathways activate and phosphorylate the osteoblast-specific transcription factor, Cbfa1. J Biol Chem 275: 44593–44599. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor 2 induction of the osteocalcin gene requires MAPK activity and phosphorylation of the osteoblast transcription factor, Cbfa1/Runx2. J Biol Chem 277: 36181–36187. , , , .
- 2000. A Pro250Arg substitution in mouse Fgfr1 causes increased expression of Cbfa1 and premature fusion of calvarial sutures. Hum Mol Genet 9: 2001–2008. , , , , , .