Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of mouse fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor genes during early inner ear development
Version of Record online: 25 AUG 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 228, Issue 2, pages 267–272, October 2003
How to Cite
Wright, T. J., Hatch, E. P., Karabagli, H., Karabagli, P., Schoenwolf, G. C. and Mansour, S. L. (2003), Expression of mouse fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor genes during early inner ear development. Dev. Dyn., 228: 267–272. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10362
- Issue online: 16 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 25 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 19 MAY 2003
- Deafness Research Foundation
- NIDCD. Grant Numbers: F32DC00473, R01DC04185
- Turkish Neurological Society
- 2001. Vertebrate cranial placodes I. Embryonic induction. Dev Biol 232: 1–61. , .
- 2000. A fate map of chick otic cup closure reveals lineage boundaries in the dorsal otocyst. Dev Biol 227: 256–270. , , .
- 1994. The mouse segmentation gene kr encodes a novel basic domain-leucine zipper transcription factor. Cell 79: 1025–1034. , .
- 1994. Murine FGFR-1 is required for early postimplantation growth and axial organization. Genes Dev 8: 3045–3057. , , , , , .
- 1993. Murine FGF-4 gene expression is spatially restricted within embryonic skeletal muscle and other tissues. Mech Dev 40: 155–163. , .
- 2002. The IIIc alternative of Fgfr2 is a positive regulator of bone formation. Development 129: 3783–3793. , , , , , .
- 1995. Requirement of FGF-4 for postimplantation mouse development. Science 267: 246–249. , , , , .
- 2001. Synergy between Hoxa1 and Hoxb1: the relationship between arch patterning and the generation of cranial neural crest. Development 128: 3017–3027. , , , .
- 2003. The induction of the otic placode. In: KelleyM, WuDK, PopperAN, FayRR, editors. Springer handbook of auditory research. New York: Springer (in press). .
- 2000. Competence, specification and commitment in otic placode induction. Development 127: 3489–3499. , .
- 1995. Expression of a Delta homologue in prospective neurons in the chick. Nature 375: 787–790. , , , , , .
- 1998. Responsiveness of developing dental tissues to fibroblast growth factors: expression of splicing alternatives of FGFR1, -2, -3, and of FGFR4; and stimulation of cell proliferation by FGF-2, -4, -8, and -9. Dev Genet 22: 374–385. , , .
- 2002. Development of the mouse inner ear. In: RossantJ, TamP, editors. Mouse development. Patterning, morphogenesis and organogenesis. London: Academic Press. p 539–566. , , .
- 2002. A review of inner ear fate maps and cell lineage studies. J Neurobiol 53: 129–142. , .
- 2001. The human FGF gene family: chromosome location and phylogenetic analysis. Cytogenet Cell Genet 93: 131–132. .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factor-16 is a growth factor for embryonic brown adipocytes. J Biol Chem 275: 12119–12122. , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of synergistic signals initiating inner ear development. Science 290: 1965–1968. , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev 119: 91. , .
- 1993. Mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the proto-oncogene int-2 have developmental defects in the tail and inner ear. Development 117: 13–28. , , .
- 2002. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and vesicle. Development 129: 2099–2108. , , , , , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of a novel member, FGF-16, on the fibroblast growth factor family. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 243: 148–152. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Normal limb development in conditional mutants of Fgf4. Development 127: 989–996. , , .
- 2002. Fibroblast growth factor signaling regulates pillar cell development in the organ of corti. J Neurosci 22: 9368–9377. , , .
- 1992. Fgf-4 expression during gastrulation, myogenesis, limb and tooth development in the mouse. Development 114: 755–768. , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factors. Genome Biol 2: 3005. 3001–3005. 3012. , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Developmental expression of two murine fibroblast growth factor receptors, flg and bek. Development 113: 1419–1434. , , , , .
- 1993. Developmental localization of the splicing alternatives of fibroblast growth factor receptor-2 (FGFR2). Dev Biol 158: 475–486. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Opposite phenotypes of hypomorphic and Y766 phosphorylation site mutations reveal a function for fgfr1 in anteroposterior patterning of mouse embryos. Genes Dev 12: 2332–2344. , , .
- 2003. Expression and function of FGF10 in mammalian inner ear development. Dev Dyn 227: 203–215. , , , , , .
- 1992. Two FGF receptor genes are differentially expressed in epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during limb formation and organogenesis in the mouse. Development 114: 233–243. , , , .
- 1993. Unique expression pattern of the FGF receptor 3 gene during mouse organogenesis. Dev Biol 155: 423–430. , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish fgf3 and fgf8 encode redundant functions required for otic placode induction. Dev Biol 235: 351–365. , , .
- 2001. The expression of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in the embryonic and neonatal mouse inner ear. Hear Res 155: 54–62. .
- 2000. FGF/FGFR-2(IIIb) signaling is essential for inner ear morphogenesis. J Neurosci 20: 6125–6134. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron 35: 671–680. , , , , , .
- 1991. FGFR-4, a new member of the fibroblast growth factor receptor family, expressed in the definitive endoderm and skeletal muscle lineages of the mouse. Development 113: 641–651. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of avian frizzled genes in cranial placode development. Mech Dev 93: 195–200. , , , .
- 1998. The development of the vertebrate inner ear. Mech Dev 71: 5–21. , .
- 2000. Induction of inner ear fate by FGF3. Development 127: 2011–2019. , , , , .
- 2003a. Fgf3 and Fgf10 are required for mouse otic placode induction. Development 130: 3379–3390. , .
- 2003b. FGF signaling in ear development and innervation. In: RomandR, Varela-NietoI, editors. Current topics in developmental biology, development of the auditory and vestibular systems. San Diego: Academic Press (in press). , .
- 1998. Axial specification for sensory organs versus non-sensory structures of the chicken inner ear. Development 125: 11–20. , , .
- 1992. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor FGFR-1/flg during gastrulation and segmentation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 152: 75–88. , , .
- 1994. fgfr-1 is required for embryonic growth and mesodermal patterning during mouse gastrulation. Genes Dev 8: 3032–3044. , , , .
- 2000. Elevated cholesterol metabolism and bile acid synthesis in mice lacking membrane tyrosine kinase receptor FGFR4. J Biol Chem 275: 15482–15489. , , , , , , , .