Drs. Hart and Papadopoulou contributed equally to this work.
Fgf10 maintains notch activation, stimulates proliferation, and blocks differentiation of pancreatic epithelial cells
Article first published online: 25 AUG 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 228, Issue 2, pages 185–193, October 2003
How to Cite
Hart, A., Papadopoulou, S. and Edlund, H. (2003), Fgf10 maintains notch activation, stimulates proliferation, and blocks differentiation of pancreatic epithelial cells. Dev. Dyn., 228: 185–193. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10368
- Issue published online: 16 SEP 2003
- Article first published online: 25 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAY 2003
- Swedish Research Council
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, New York
- Wallenberg Consortium North
- EU 5th program
- EU regional fund, objective 1
- 1996. The morphogenesis of the pancreatic mesenchyme is uncoupled from that of the pancreatic epithelium in PDX1/IPF1-deficient mice. Development 122: 1409–1416. , , .
- 1997. Sonic hedgehog directs specialised mesoderm differentiation in the intestine and pancreas. Curr Biol 7: 801–804. , , .
- 1999. Notch-signalling controls pancreatic cell differentiation. Nature 400: 877–881. , , .
- 1998. Notch and neurogenesis. J Neurosci Res 54: 125–136. , .
- 1997. Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) and branching morphogenesis in the embryonic mouse lung. Development 124: 4867–4878. , , , , .
- 2001. Fgf10 is essential for maintaining the proliferative capacity of epithelial progenitor cells during early pancreatic organogenesis. Development 128: 5109–5117. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Homeobox gene Nkx2.2 and specification of neuronal identity by graded Sonic hedgehog signalling. Nature 398: 622–627. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Soluble dominant-negative receptor uncovers essential roles for fibroblast growth factors in multi-organ induction and patterning. EMBO J 17: 1642–1655. , , , , .
- 2003. Single-cell transcript analysis of pancreas development. Dev Cell 4: 383–393. , .
- 1998. Cloning and characterization of Sel-1l, a murine homolog of the C. elegans sel-1 gene. Mech Dev 78: 203–207. , , , , .
- 1998. Transcribing pancreas. Diabetes 47: 1817–1823. .
- 2002. Pancreatic organogenesis- developmental mechanisms and implications for therapy. Nat Rev Genet 3: 524–532. .
- 2002. Role for FGFR2IIIb-mediated signals in controlling pancreatic endocrine progenitor cell proliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 3884–3889. , , , .
- 2001. Interactions between fibroblast growth factors and Notch regulate neuronal differentiation. J Neurosci 21: 5587–5596. , , , , .
- 2000. Neurogenin3 is required for the development of the four endocrine cell lineages of the pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 9: 71607–71611. , , , .
- 1997. Structure, function, and expression of SEL-1, a negative regulator of LIN-12 and GLP-1 in C. elegans. Development 124: 637–644. , .
- 2000. Attenuation of FGF-signalling in mouse β-cells leads to diabetes. Nature 408: 864–868. , , , .
- 1994. In manipulating the mouse embryo: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Press. , , .
- 2000. Control of endodermal endocrine development by Hes-1. Nat Genet 24: 36–44. , , .
- FGF-FGFR signaling in vertebrate organogenesis. 1999. Cell Mol Biol 45: 631–638. ,
- 2002. The role of the transcriptional regulator Ptf1a in converting intestinal to pancreatic progenitors. Nat Genet 32: 128–134. , , , , , .
- 1998. The bHLH protein PTF1-p48 is essential for the formation of the exocrine and the correct spatial organization of the endocrine pancreas. Genes Dev 12: 3752–3763. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Neurogenic genes and vertebrate neurogenesis. Curr Opin Neurobiol 6: 3–10. .
- 2001. Persistent expression of Hlxb9 in the pancreatic epithelium impairs pancreatic development. Dev Biol 240: 247–253. , .
- 1999. Signaling through fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b plays a key role in the development of the exocrine pancreas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 6267–6272. , , , , .
- 1993. IPF1, a homeodomain-containing transactivator of the insulin gene. EMBO J 12: 4251–4259. , , .
- 2000. FGF10 acts as a major ligand for FGF receptor 2 IIIb in mouse multi-organ development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 277: 643–649. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2-IIIb acts upstream of Shh and Fgf4 and is required for limb bud maintenance but not for the induction of Fgf8, Fgf10, Msx1, or Bmp4. Dev Biol 231: 47–62. , , , , , .
- 2001. Clinical outcomes and insulin secretion after islet transplantation with the Edmonton protocol. Diabetes 50: 710–719. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Homeobox gene Nkx6. 1 lies downstream of Nkx2.2 in the major pathway of beta-cell formation in the pancreas. Development 127: 5533–5540. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of neurogenin3 reveals an islet cell precursor population in the pancreas. Development 127: 3533–3542. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nestin is expressed in mesenchymal and not epithelial cells of the developing mouse pancreas. Mech Dev 113: 189–192. , .
- 2000. Islet transplantation in seven patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus using a glucocorticoid-free immunosuppressive regimen. N Engl J Med 343: 230–238. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mice lacking the homeodomain transcription factor Nkx2.2 have diabetes due to arrested differentiation of pancreatic beta cells. Development 125: 2213–2221. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factors as multifunctional signaling factors. Int Rev Cytol 185: 45–106. , .
- 1991. The homeodomain LIM protein Isl-1 is expressed in subsets of neurons and endocrine cells in the adult rat. Neuron 7: 881–889. , , , .