Involvement of hepatocyte growth factor in branching morphogenesis of murine salivary gland
Version of Record online: 27 AUG 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 228, Issue 2, pages 173–184, October 2003
How to Cite
Ikari, T., Hiraki, A., Seki, K., Sugiura, T., Matsumoto, K. and Shirasuna, K. (2003), Involvement of hepatocyte growth factor in branching morphogenesis of murine salivary gland. Dev. Dyn., 228: 173–184. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10377
- Issue online: 16 SEP 2003
- Version of Record online: 27 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2003
- Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture of Japan. Grant Number: 14657532
- 1994. Expression and localization of hepacyte growth factor in rat submandibular gland. Growth Factors 10: 145–151. , , , .
- 1999. Enhancement by hepatocyte growth factor of bone and cartilage formation during embryonic mouse mandibular development in vitro. Arch Oral Biol 44: 935–946. , , , .
- 2002. Hepacyte growth factor is essential for migration of myogenic cells and promotes their proliferation during the early periods of tongue morphogenesis in mouse embryos. Dev Dyn 223: 169–179. , , , , , .
- 1996. Co-expression of the HGF/SF and c-met genes during early mouse embryogenesis precedes reciprocal expression in adjacent tissues during organogenesis. Dev Genet 18: 254–266. , , .
- 1977. Basal lamina of embryonic salivary epithelia. Production by the epithelium and role in maintaining lobular morphology. J Cell Biol 73: 445–463. , , .
- 1991. Identification of the hepatocyte growth factor receptor as the c-met proto-oncogene product. Science 251: 802–804. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor induces a variety of tissue-specific morphogenic programs in epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 131: 1573–1586. , , , , .
- 1992. The presence of hepatocyte growth factor in the developing rat. Development 116: 387–395. , , , .
- 1996. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor is an axonal chemoattractant and a neurotrophic factor for spinal motor neurons. Neuron 17: 1157–1172. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The role of interstitial collagens in cleft formation of mouse embryonic submandibular gland during initial branching. Development 103: 259–267. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Hepatocyte growth factor regulates activin betaA mRNA in submandibular gland. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 34: 520–523. , .
- 1989. Biosynthesis of the protein encoded by the c-met proto-oncogene. Oncogene 4: 1383–1388. , , , , , .
- 1993. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor stimulates the Ras-guanine nucleotide exchanger. J Biol Chem 268: 9165–9168. , , , .
- 1953. Epithelio-mesenchymal specificity in the morphogenesis of mouse sub-mandibular rudiments in vitro. J Exp Zool 124: 383–413. .
- 1965. Collagenase: effect on the morphogenesis of embryonic salivary epithelium in vitro. Science 150: 626–628. , .
- 2000. Sustained recruitment of phospholipase C-gamma to Gab1 is required for HGF-induced branching tubulogenesis. Oncogene 19: 1509–1518. , , , , , .
- 1992. Collagen in organ development. Trans Kans Acad Sci 95: 29–33. , .
- 1997. Epithelial morphogenesis in mouse embryonic submandibular gland: its relationships to the tissue organization of epithelium and mesenchyme. Dev Growth Differ 39: 1–8. , .
- 2002. Calcium induces differentiation of primary human salivary acinar cells. J Cell Physiol 193: 55–63. , , , , .
- 2002. Gene expression profiles of mouse submandibular gland development: FGFR1 regulates branching morphogenesis in vitro through BMP- and FGF-dependent mechanisms. Development 129: 5767–5778. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Morphogenesis. Cell 96: 225–233. .
- 1999. Significant role of laminin-1 in branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium cultured in basement membrane matrix. Dev Growth Differ 41: 207–216. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Submandibular gland morphogenesis: stage-specific expression of TGF-alpha/EGF, IGF, TGF-beta, TNF, and IL-6 signal transduction in normal embryonic mice and the phenotypic effects of TGF-beta2, TGF-beta3, and EGF-r null mutations. Anat Rec 256: 252–268. , .
- 1995. Antibodies against domain E3 of laminin-1 and integrin alpha 6 subunit perturb branching epithelial morphogenesis of submandibular gland, but by different modes. J Cell Biol 129: 521–534. , , , , , .
- 1998. Laminin alpha1 chain G domain peptide, RKRLQVQLSIRT, inhibits epithelial branching morphogenesis of cultured embryonic mouse submandibular gland. Dev Dyn 212: 394–402. , , , , .
- 2001. Differential MAPK pathways utilized for HGF- and EGF-dependent renal epithelial morphogenesis. J Biol Chem 276: 9166–9173. , , , , .
- 2000. The ERK-1/2 signaling pathway is involved in the stimulation of branching morphogenesis of fetal mouse submandibular glands by EGF. Dev Biol 220: 183–196. , , , , , , .
- 1969. Organ specificity in mesenchymal induction demonstrated in the embryonic development of the mammary gland of the mouse. Dev Biol 20: 46–71. .
- 2003. Role of PI 3-kinase and PIP3 in submandibular gland branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol 255: 178–191. , , , , , .
- 1974. Mesenchyme specificity in rodent salivary gland development: the response of salivary epithelium to lung mesenchyme in vitro. J Embryol Exp Morphol 32: 469–493. .
- 1999. EGF-dependent lobule formation and FGF7-dependent stalk elongation in branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium in vitro. Dev Dyn 215: 148–154. , .
- 1984. Partial purification and characterization of hepatocyte growth factor from serum of hepatectomized rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 122: 1450–1459. , , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning and expression of human hepatocyte growth factor. Nature 342: 440–443. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Purification and characterization of a growth factor from rat platelets for mature parenchymal hepatocytes in primary cultures. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83: 6489–6493. , , .
- 1987. Cell proliferation is not required for the initiation of early cleft formation in mouse embryonic submandibular epithelium in vitro. Development 99: 429–437. , , .
- 1986a. Collagenase inhibitor stimulates cleft formation during early morphogenesis of mouse salivary gland. Dev Biol 113: 201–206. , , , .
- 1986b. Scanning electron microscopic observation of mouse embryonic submandibular glands during initial branching: preferential localization of fibrillar structures at the mesenchymal ridges participating in cleft formation. J Embryol Exp Morphol 96: 65–77. , , , .
- 2001. High expression levels of nuclear factor kappaB, IkappaB kinase alpha and Akt kinase in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity. Cancer 92: 3037–3044. , , , .
- 1991. Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) stimulates the tyrosine kinase activity of the receptor encoded by the proto-oncogene c-MET. Oncogene 6: 501–504. , , , , , , .
- 1995. HGF/SF: a potent cytokine for mammary growth, morphogenesis and development. Development 121: 2897–2908. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 and BMP-2 have opposite effects on limb growth. Nature 361: 68–71. , .
- 1991. Substitution for mesenchyme by basement-membrane–like substratum and epidermal growth factor in inducing branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium. Development 112: 855–861. , .
- 1998. Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) acts as a mesenchyme-derived morphogenic factor during fetal lung development. Development 125: 1315–1324. , , , .
- 1993. Characterization of growth and differentiation of normal human submandibular gland epithelial cells in a serum-free medium. Differentiation 54: 143–153. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Mechanical aspects of mesenchymal morphogenesis. J Embryol Exp Morphol 78: 83–125. , , .
- 1994. Involvement of hepatocyte growth factor in kidney development. Dev Biol 163: 525–529. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Early organogenesis of the kidney. Pediatr Nephrol 1: 385–392. , .
- 1999. SF/HGF is a mediator between limb patterning and muscle development. Development 126: 4885–4893. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor is essential for liver development. Nature 373: 699–702. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mesenchyme specifies epithelial differentiation in reciprocal recombinants of embryonic lung and trachea. Dev Dyn 212: 482–494. , , , .
- 1988. Growth inhibition and differentiation of human salivary adenocarcinoma cells by medium conditioned with normal human fibroblasts. Cancer Res 48: 2819–2824. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Isolation and characterization of different clones including myoepithelial-like variants from a clonal neoplastic epithelial duct cell line of human salivary gland origin. Cancer Res 46: 1418–1426. , , , , .
- 1993. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor and its receptor, the c-met tyrosine kinase, can mediate a signal exchange between mesenchyme and epithelia during mouse development. J Cell Biol 123: 223–235. , , , .
- 1980. Collagen involvement in branching morphogenesis of embryonic lung and salivary gland. Dev Biol 77: 84–102. , .
- 1987. Scatter factor is a fibroblast-derived modulator of epithelial cell mobility. Nature 327: 239–242. , , , .
- 1996. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor as a regulator of skeletal muscle and neural crest development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 5866–5871. , , , , .
- 1983. Proteoglycan and glycosaminoglycan synthesis in embryonic mouse salivary glands: effects of beta-D-xyloside, an inhibitor of branching morphogenesis. J Cell Biol 96: 1443–1450. , .
- 1995. Placental defect and embryonic lethality in mice lacking hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor. Nature 373: 702–705. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The molecular basis of lung morphogenesis. Mech Dev 92: 55–81. , , , , , .
- 2000. Bmp4 and Fgf10 play opposing roles during lung bud morphogenesis. Development 127: 2695–2704. , , .
- 1991. Evidence for the identity of human scatter factor and human hepatocyte growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 7001–7005. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Roles of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor and the met receptor in the early development of the metanephros. J Cell Biol 128: 171–184. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of the met receptor tyrosine kinase in muscle progenitor cells in somites and limbs is absent in Splotch mice. Development 122: 2163–2171. , , , .