Role of Hertwig's epithelial root sheath cells in tooth root development
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 228, Issue 4, pages 651–663, December 2003
How to Cite
Zeichner-David, M., Oishi, K., Su, Z., Zakartchenko, V., Chen, L.-S., Arzate, H. and Bringas, P. (2003), Role of Hertwig's epithelial root sheath cells in tooth root development. Dev. Dyn., 228: 651–663. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10404
- Issue published online: 18 NOV 2003
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2003
- 1996. The localization of epithelial root sheath cells during cementum formation in rat molars. J Periodontal Res 31: 433–440. , , .
- 2002. Immunolocalization of a human cementoblastoma-conditioned medium-derived protein. J Dent Res 81: 541–546. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cementum attachment protein enriches putative cementoblastic populations on root surfaces in vitro. J Dent Res 79: 1482–1488. , , , , .
- 1999. Root development in mice lacking functional tissue non-specific alkaline phosphatase gene: inhibition of acellular cementum formation. J Dent Res 78: 1221–1229. , , .
- 1996. Functional interaction of beta-catenin with the transcription factor LEF-1. Nature 382: 638–642. , , , , , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Annal Biochem 72: 248–254. .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Generation of osteoclast-inductive and osteoclastogenic cell lines from the H-2KbtsA58 transgenic mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 5578–5582. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential distribution of lumican and fibromodulin in tooth cementum. Connect Tissue Res 34: 87–96. , , , , .
- 1988. Ultrastructural evidence of directed cell migration during initial cementoblast differentiation in root formation. J Periodontal Res 23: 268–276. , .
- 1992. Mechanism of action of β-glycerophosphate on bone cell mineralization. Calcif Tissue Int 51: 305–311. , , , , .
- 1996. Differentiation potential of conditionally immortalized mesenchymal progenitor cells from adult marrow of a H-2Kb-tsA58 transgenic mouse. J Cell Physiol 167: 523–538. , .
- 2001. The developmental biology of cementum. Int J Dev Biol 45: 695–706. .
- 1996. Amelin: an enamel-related protein, transcribed in the cells of epithelial root sheath. J Bone Miner Res 11: 892–898. , , .
- 1999. Should cementoblasts express alkaline phosphatase activity? Preliminary study of rat cementoblasts in vitro. J Periodontol 70: 951–959. , , , .
- 2000. Cementum-forming cells are phenotypically distinct from bone-forming cells. J Bone Miner Res 15: 52–59. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Production of amelogenin by enamel epithelium of Hertwig's root sheath. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 81: 703–709. , , , .
- 1995. An overview of epithelio-mesenchymal transformation. Acta Anat 154: 8–20. .
- 1996. Nuclear localization of beta-catenin by interaction with transcription factor LEF-1. Mech Dev 59: 3–10. , , , , , .
- 1994. The biological clock that measures the mitotic life-span of mouse embryo fibroblasts continues to function in the presence of simian virus 40 large tumor antigen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 6448–6452. , , .
- 1999. Periodontal-derived cells attach to cementum attachment protein via alpha 5 beta 1 integrin. J Periodontal Res 34: 154–159. , , , .
- 1991. Direct derivation of conditionally immortal cell lines from an H-2Kb-tsA58 transgenic mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 5096–5100. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Epithelial rests colocalize with cementoblasts forming acellular cementum but not with cementoblasts forming cellular cementum. Acta Anat 163: 1–9. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cell proliferation and death of Hertwig's epithelial root sheath in the rat. Cell Tissue Res 298: 95–103. , , , , .
- 2000. Epithelial Dlx-2 homeogene expression and cementogenesis. J Histochem Cytochem 48: 277–283. , , , , , .
- 1954. The quantitative histochemistry of brain I. Enzyme measurement. J Biol Chem 207: 19–37. , , , , .
- 1991. Cells from Hertwig's epithelial root sheath do not transcribe amelogenin. J Periodontal Res 26: 42–47. , , .
- 1993. Development of the murine periodontium. II. Role of the epithelial root sheath in formation of the periodontal attachment. J Periodontol 64: 285–291. , .
- 1990. isolation of a fibroblast attachment protein from cementum. J Periodontal Res 25: 99–105. , , , .
- 1998. Differential chemotactic effect of cementum attachment protein on periodontal cells. J Periodontal Res 33: 126–129. , , , , .
- 1991. Isolation and partial characterization of mitogenic factors from cementum. Biochemistry 30: 7047–7052. , , , .
- 1999. Immunofluorescence detection of cadherins in mouse tooth germs during root development. Arch Oral Biol 44: 415–421. , , , .
- 1999. Immunohistochemical localization of calbindin D28k during root formation of rat molar teeth. Cell Tissue Res 297: 503–512. , , , , , , .
- 1988. An autoradiographic study of periodontal development in the mouse. J Dent Res 67: 455–461. , .
- 1978. Ultrastructure of Hertwig's epithelial root sheath during early root development in premolar teeth in dogs. Arch Oral Biol 23: 91–104. .
- 1987. Development of periodontal ligament and alveolar bone in homografted recombination's of enamel organs and papillary, pulpal, and follicular mesenchyme in the mouse. Arch Oral Biol 32: 281–289. , .
- 1958. A study of the structure, chemical nature, and development of cementum in the rat. Anat Rec 131: 233–251. , .
- 1995. Specific cementum attachment protein enhances selectively the attachment and migration of periodontal cells to root surfaces. J Periodontal Res 30: 360–368. , , , , , , .
- 1963. Electron microscopy of Hertwig's epithelial root sheath and of early dentin formation in the mouse incisor. Acta Odontal Scand 21: 175–186. .
- 1974. Cementum: an epithelial secretory product? J Dent Res 53: 157. , .
- 1989. Human and mouse cementum proteins immunologically related to enamel proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta 991: 12–18. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Hertwig's epithelial root sheath differentiation and initial cementum and bone formation during long-term organ culture of mouse mandibular first molars using serumless, chemically-defined medium. J Periodontal Res 23: 28–40. , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. A new look at the rests of Malassez: a review of their embryological origin, anatomy, and possible role in periodontal health and disease. J Periodontol 51: 437–444. .
- 1992. Immunohistological localization of cell adhesion proteins and integrins in the periodontium. J Periodontol 63: 584–592. , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Isolation and characterization of intermediate filaments. Methods Cell Biol 1982; 24: 399–419. , , , .
- 2001. Generation and phenotype of cell lines derived from CF and non-CF mice that carry the H-2Kb-tsA58 transgene. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 280: C228–C236. , , , .
- 1978. A fine structural study of coronal and root dentinogenesis in the mouse. Observations of the so called “von korff fibers” and their contribution to mantle dentine. J Anat 125: 183–197. .
- 1996. The role of epithelium in the development, structure and function of the tissues of tooth support. Oral Dis 2: 55–62. .
- 1998. Dynamic expression of E-cadherin in ameloblasts and cementoblasts in mice. Eur J Oral Sci 106 (Suppl 1): 137–142. , , , , .
- 1995. Root formation. Int J Dev Biol 39: 231–137. .
- 1989. Differentiation of odontoblasts in grafted recombinants of murine epithelial root sheath and dental mesenchyme. Arch Oral Biol 34: 27–35. , .
- 1966. Histochemical procedures: Von Kossa staining for calcium. In: Selected histochemical and histopathological methods. Springfield, IL: Thomas Publishers. p 581–584. , .
- 1982. Clonal growth of normal human epidermal keratinocytes in a defined medium. J Cell Physiol 110: 219–229. , , .
- 1990. Retinoic acid stimulation of human dermal fibroblast proliferation is dependent on suboptimal extracellular Ca2+ concentration. Am J Pathol 136: 1275–1281. , , , , , .
- 1950. The prevalence, distribution, and morphological changes of the epithelial remnants in the molar regions of the rat. J Dent Res 29: 637–646. , , .
- 1993. The prevalence and distribution of Malassez in the mouse molar and their possible role in repair and maintenance of the periodontal ligament. Arch Oral Biol 88: 399–403. , .
- 1993. Establishment of conditionally immortalized epithelial cell lines from both colon and small intestine of adult H-2Kb-tsA58 transgenic mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 587–591. , , , , .
- 1996. Characterization of a collagenous cementum-derived attachment. J Bone Miner Res 11: 686–692. , , , , .
- 1981. recombination experiments on the odontogenic roles of mouse dental papilla and dental sac tissues in ocular grafts. Arch Oral Biol 12: 747–753. , .
- 2001. Is there more to enamel matrix proteins than biomineralization? Matrix Biol 20: 307–316. .
- 1989. Type I collagen gel induces Madin-Darby canine kidney cells to become fusiform in shape and lose apical-basal polarity. J Cell Biol 108: 903–919. , , .