gbx2 Homeobox gene is required for the maintenance of the isthmic region in the zebrafish embryonic brain
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Zebrafish as a Model System
Volume 228, Issue 3, pages 433–450, November 2003
How to Cite
Kikuta, H., Kanai, M., Ito, Y. and Yamasu, K. (2003), gbx2 Homeobox gene is required for the maintenance of the isthmic region in the zebrafish embryonic brain. Dev. Dyn., 228: 433–450. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10409
- Issue published online: 14 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Received: 8 APR 2003
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology. Grant Numbers: 09780677, 10220203, 15570170
- 1995. Forebrain and midbrain regions are deleted in Otx2-/-mutants due to a defective anterior neuroectoderm specification during gastrulation. Development 121: 3279–3290. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Visceral endoderm-restricted translation of Otx1 mediates recovery of Otx2 requirements for specification of anterior neural plate and normal gastrulation. Development 125: 5091–5104. , , , , , .
- 1994. Combinatorial expression of three zebrafish genes related to Distal-less: part of a homeobox gene code for the head. J Neurosci 14: 3475–3486. , , , , .
- 1995. c-otx2 is expressed in two different phases of gastrulation and is sensitive to retinoic acid treatment in chick embryo. Mech Dev 49: 49–63. , , , .
- 2001. Hindbrain patterning revisited: timing and effects of retinoic acid signalling. Bioessays 23: 981–986. , .
- 2001. spiel ohne grenzen/pou2 is required during establishment of the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer. Development 128: 4165–4176. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Sequence and expression pattern of the Stra7 (Gbx-2) homeobox-containing gene induced by retinoic acid in P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Dev Dyn 204: 372–382. , , , , .
- 1996. Mutations in zebrafish genes affecting the formation of the boundary between midbrain and hindbrain. Development 123: 179–190. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The caudal limit of Otx2 expression positions the isthmic organizer. Nature 401: 164–168. , , .
- 1993. Spatially restricted expression of Dlx-1, Dlx-2 (Tes-1), Gbx-2, and Wnt-3 in the embryonic day 12.5 mouse forebrain defines potential transverse and longitudinal segmental boundaries. J Neurosci 13: 3155–3172. , , , , , .
- 2002. The zebrafish spiel-ohne-grenzen (spg) gene encodes the POU domain protein Pou2 related to mammalian Oct4 and is essential for formation of the midbrain and hindbrain, and for pre-gastrula morphogenesis. Development 129: 905–916. , , , , .
- 1994. Comprehensive classification of homeobox genes. In: DubouleD, editor. Guidebook to the homeobox genes. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 27–71. .
- 1995. Control of Drosophila tracheal branching by the novel homeodomain gene unplugged, a regulatory target for genes of the bithorax complex. Development 121: 3901–3912. , , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162: 156–159. , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 1996. Midbrain development induced by FGF8 in the chick embryo. Nature 380: 66–68. , , .
- 1992. Coordinate embryonic expression of three zebrafish engrailed genes. Development 116: 1001–1010. , , , .
- 1997. A role for FGF-8 in the dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish gastrula. Development 124: 4253–4264. , , .
- 2000. Regulatory gene expression patterns reveal transverse and longitudinal subdivisions of the embryonic zebrafish forebrain. Mech Dev 91: 105–118. , .
- 2000. Pax2, Otx2, Gbx2 and Fgf8 expression in early otic vesicle development. Mech Dev 95: 225–229. , , .
- 1999. Regeneration of isthmic tissue is the result of a specific and direct interaction between rhombomere 1 and midbrain. Development 126: 3981–3989. , .
- 2001. Double in situ hybridization techniques in zebrafish. Methods 23: 345–358. .
- 1996. Engrailed, Wnt and Pax genes regulate midbrain-hindbrain development. Trends Genet 12: 15–20. .
- 2000. Otx2, Gbx2 and Fgf8 interact to position and maintain a mid-hindbrain organizer. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 736–741. , , .
- 2000. Interaction between Otx2 and Gbx2 defines the organizing center for the optic tectum. Mech Dev 91: 43–52. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Involvement of Wnt1 and Pax2 in the formation of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary in the zebrafish gastrula. Dev Genet 17: 129–140. , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 1998. Overexpression of the forebrain-specific homeobox gene six3 induces rostral forebrain enlargement in zebrafish. Development 125: 2973–2982. , , , , .
- 1997. The homeobox gene GBX2, a target of the myb oncogene, mediates autocrine growth and monocyte differentiation. Cell 91: 185–195. , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193–1206. , , , .
- 1993. A functionally conserved homolog of the Drosophila segment polarity gene hh is expressed in tissues with polarizing activity in zebrafish embryos. Cell 75: 1431–1444. , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm. Development 129: 4335–4346. , , .
- 1994. Expression of two zebrafish orthodenticle-related genes in the embryonic brain. Mech Dev 48: 229–244. , , , .
- 1998. A series of no isthmus (noi) alleles of the zebrafish pax2.1 gene reveals multiple signaling events in development of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development 125: 3049–3062. , .
- 1994. Patterning of the embryonic avian midbrain after experimental inversions: a polarizing activity from the isthmus. Dev Biol 163: 19–37. , .
- 1991. Induction of a mesencephalic phenotype in the 2-day-old chick prosencephalon is preceded by the early expression of the homeobox gene en. Neuron 6: 971–981. , , .
- 1995. Induction of ectopic engrailed expression and fate change in avian rhombomeres: intersegmental boundaries as barriers. Mech Dev 51: 289–303. , , , .
- 1999. FGF8 induces formation of an ectopic isthmic organizer and isthmocerebellar development via a repressive effect on Otx2 expression. Development 126: 1189–1200. , , , , .
- 1995. Mouse Otx2 functions in the formation and patterning of rostral head. Genes Dev 9: 2645–2658. , , , , .
- 1999. Genetic analysis of tissue interactions required for otic placode induction in the zebrafish. Dev Biol 206: 100–112. , .
- 1989. The proline-rich transcriptional activator of CTF/NF-I is distinct from the replication and DNA binding domain. Cell 58: 741–753. , , , .
- 1998. An Fgf8 mutant allelic series generated by Cre- and Flp-mediated recombination. Nat Genet 18: 136–141. , , .
- 1999. A role for Gbx2 in repression of Otx2 and positioning the mid/hindbrain organizer. Nature 401: 161–164. , , , , , .
- 1996. Specification of posterior midbrain region in zebrafish neuroepithelium. Genes Cells 1: 369–377. , , , .
- 1994. Differential spatio-temporal expressions of three otx homeoprotein transcripts during zebrafish embryogenesis. Mol Brain Res 27: 221–231. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of the homeobox gene GBX2 during chicken development. Mech Dev 76: 151–155. , .
- 1994. cDNA sequence of zebrafish (Brachydanio rerio) translation elongation factor-1 alpha: molecular phylogeny of eukaryotes based on elongation factor-1 alpha protein sequences. Biochim Biophys Acta 1219: 529–532. , , .
- 1993. Cloning of the zebrafish krox-20 gene (krx-20) and its expression during hindbrain development. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 1087–1095. , .
- 1998. Fgf8 is mutated in zebrafish acerebellar (ace) mutants and is required for maintenance of midbrain-hindbrain boundary development and somitogenesis. Development 125: 2381–2395. , , , , , .
- 2000. Overlapping and distinct functions provided by fgf17, a new zebrafish member of the Fgf8/17/18 subgroup of Fgfs. Mech Dev 99: 39–49. , , , , .
- 2002. spiel-ohne-grenzen/pou2 mediates regional competence to respond to Fgf8 during zebrafish early neural development. Development 129: 917–933. , .
- 2001. The midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer. Curr Opin Neurobiol 11: 34–42. , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting the development of the embryonic zebrafish brain. Development 123: 165–178. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Musculoskeletal patterning in the pharyngeal segments of the zebrafish embryo. Development 124: 2945–2960. , .
- 1992. The protein product of the zebrafish homologue of the mouse T gene is expressed in nuclei of the germ ring and the notochord of the early embryo. Development 116: 1021–1032. , , , .
- 1994. no tail (ntl) is the zebrafish homologue of the mouse T (Brachyury) gene. Development 120: 1009–1015. , , , , .
- 1997. Conserved biological function between Pax-2 and Pax-5 in midbrain and cerebellum development: evidence from targeted mutations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 14518–14523. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of Gbx-2 during early development of the chick embryo. Mech Dev 76: 157–159. , .
- 2000. Positioning the isthmic organizer where Otx2 and Gbx2 meet. Trends Genet 16: 237–240. .
- 1998. The carp homeobox gene Ovx1 shows early expression during gastrulation and subsequently in the vagal lobe, the facial lobe and the ventral telencephalon. Dev Genes Evol 208: 56–59. , , , , .
- 2002. The expression of gbx-2 during zebrafish embryogenesis. Mech Dev 113: 107–110. , .
- 1997. Analysis of competence and of Brachyury autoinduction by use of hormone-inducible Xbra. Development 124: 2225–2234. , , .
- 1990. Targeted disruption of the murine int-1 proto-oncogene resulting in severe abnormalities in midbrain and cerebellar development. Nature 346: 847–850. , .
- 2001. The two Xenopus Gbx2 genes exhibit similar, but not identical expression patterns and can affect head formation. FEBS Lett 507: 205–209. , , , .
- 2002a. Otx2 can activate the isthmic organizer genetic network in the Xenopus embryo. Mech Dev 110: 3–13. , , , .
- 2002b. Gbx2 interacts with Otx2 and patterns the anterior-posterior axis during gastrulation in Xenopus. Mech Dev 112: 141–151. , , , .
- 1996. The Xenopus laevis homeobox gene Xgbx-2 is an early marker of anteroposterior patterning in the ectoderm. Mech Dev 54: 149–160. , , .
- 1997. Specification of the anterior hindbrain and establishment of a normal mid/hindbrain organizer is dependent on Gbx2 gene function. Development 124: 2923–2934. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Early mesencephalon/metencephalon patterning and development of the cerebellum. Perspect Dev Neurobiol 5: 3–16. , .
- 1994. Multiple developmental defects in Engrailed-1 mutant mice: an early mid-hindbrain deletion and patterning defects in forelimbs and sternum. Development 120: 2065–2075. , , .