Generation of structures formed by lens and retinal cells differentiating from embryonic stem cells
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 228, Issue 4, pages 664–671, December 2003
How to Cite
Hirano, M., Yamamoto, A., Yoshimura, N., Tokunaga, T., Motohashi, T., Ishizaki, K., Yoshida, H., Okazaki, K., Yamazaki, H., Hayashi, S.-I. and Kunisada, T. (2003), Generation of structures formed by lens and retinal cells differentiating from embryonic stem cells. Dev. Dyn., 228: 664–671. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10425
- Issue published online: 18 NOV 2003
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Received: 26 MAY 2003
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, Technology of Japan
- Sumitomo Foundation
- 1997. The origin and efficient derivation of embryonic stem cells in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 5709–5712. , .
- 1993. Transdifferentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 5: 1023–1028. , .
- 1981. Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos. Nature 292: 154–156. , .
- 1999. Pax6: mastering eye morphogenesis and eye evolution. Trends Genet 15: 371–377. , .
- 1992. Embryonic lens induction: shedding light on vertebrate tissue determination. Trends Genet 8: 349–355. .
- 1995. The role of Pax-6 in eye and nasal development. Development 121: 1433–1442. , , .
- 2000. Immunocytochemical analysis of the mouse retina. J Comp Neurol 424: 1–23. , .
- 1991. Mouse small eye results from mutations in a paired-like homeobox-containing gene. Nature 354: 522–525. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. MGF (Kit ligand) is a chemokinetic factor for melanoblast migration into hair follicles. Dev Biol 225: 424–436. , .
- 2001. Pax6 and Sox2 form a co-DNA-binding partner complex that regulates initiation of lens development. Genes Dev 15: 1272–1286. , , , , .
- 2000. Induction of midbrain dopaminergic neurons from ES cells by stromal cell-derived inducing activity. Neuron 28: 31–40. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Generation of dopaminergic neurons and pigmented epithelia from primate ES cells by stromal cell-derived inducing activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 1580–1585. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Stem cells on the way to restorative medicine. Immunol Rev 83: 1–12. .
- 2002. Dopamine neurons derived from embryonic stem cells function in an animal model of Parkinson's disease. Nature 418: 50–56. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secreting structures similar to pancreatic islets. Science 292: 1389–1394. , , , , , .
- 2001. Pax6 is required for the multipotent state of retinal progenitor cells. Cell 105: 43–55. , , , , , .
- 1981. Isolation of a pluripotent cell line from early mouse embryos cultured in medium conditioned by teratocarcinoma stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 78: 7634–7638. .
- 1994. Generation of lymphohematopoietic cells from embryonic stem cells in culture. Science 265: 1098–1101. , , .
- 2000. Sequential activation of transcription factors in lens induction. Dev Growth Differ 42: 437–448. , .
- 1999. Embryonic stem cell models of development. Anat Rec 257: 32–41. .
- 2002. Pluripotent stem cells—model of embryonic development, tool for gene targeting, and basis of cell therapy. Anat Histol Embryol 31: 169–186. , , .
- 1993. A set of anti-crystallin monoclonal antibodies for detecting lens specificities: b-crystallin as a specific marker for detecting lentoidogenesis in cultures of chicken lens epithelial cells. Jpn J Ophthalmol 37: 355–368. , , , .
- 1992. Efficacious production of viable germ- line chimeras between embryonic stem (ES) cells and 8- cell stage embryos. Dev Growth Differ 34: 561–566. , .
- 2002. Embryonic stem cells. Totowa, New Jersey: Humana Press. .
- 2000. Translating stem and progenitor cell biology to the clinic: barriers and opportunities. Science 287: 1442–1446. .
- 2001. Stem cell and progenitor cells: origins, phenotypes, lineage commitments, and transdifferentiations. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 387–403. , , .
- 2002. Directed differentiation of embryonic stem cells into motor neurons. Cell 110: 385–397. , , , .
- 2002. In vitro functional gut-like organ formation from mouse embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 20: 41–49. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Development of osteoclasts from embryonic stem cells through a pathway that is c-fms but not c-kit dependent. Blood 90: 3516–3523. , , , , , .
- 1999. Derivation of melanocytes from embryonic stem cells in culture. Dev Dyn 216: 450–458. , , , , .