Patterns & Phenotypes
Periostin is expressed within the developing teeth at the sites of epithelial–mesenchymal interaction
Article first published online: 2 MAR 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 229, Issue 4, pages 857–868, April 2004
How to Cite
Kruzynska-Frejtag, A., Wang, J., Maeda, M., Rogers, R., Krug, E., Hoffman, S., Markwald, R. R. and Conway, S. J. (2004), Periostin is expressed within the developing teeth at the sites of epithelial–mesenchymal interaction. Dev. Dyn., 229: 857–868. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10453
- Issue published online: 15 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 2 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 10 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 4 AUG 2003
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH. Grant Numbers: HL52813, HL33756, HL60714
- 1997. Expression patterns of bone morphogenetic proteins (Bmps) in the developing mouse tooth suggest roles in morphogenesis and cell differentiation. Dev Dyn 210: 383–396. , , .
- 2001. Expression of members of the Fgf family and their receptors during midfacial development. Mech Dev 100: 313–316. , .
- 1997. The periodontal ligament: a unique, multifunctional connective tissue. Periodontol 2000 13: 20–40. , , .
- 1992. Effects of dentin proteins, transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGF beta 1) and bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP2) on the differentiation of odontoblast in vitro. Int J Dev Biol 36: 491–503. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Comparative analysis of TGF beta s, BMPs, IGF1, msxs, fibronectin, osteonectin and bone sialoprotein gene expression during normal and in vitro-induced odontoblast differentiation. Int J Dev Biol 38: 405–420. , , , , , .
- 1998. FGFs and BMP4 induce both Msx1-independent and Msx1-dependent signaling pathways in early tooth development. Development 125: 4325–4333. , .
- 2000. BMP4 rescues a non-cell-autonomous function of Msx1 in tooth development. Development 127: 4711–4718. , , .
- 1995. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 and -4 expression during murine orofacial development. Arch Oral Biol 40: 847–854. , , .
- 1998. Reciprocal temporospatial patterns of Msx2 and Osteocalcin gene expression during murine odontogenesis. J Bone Miner Res 13: 609–619. , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Msx1 controls inductive signaling in mammalian tooth morphogenesis. Development 122: 3035–3044. , , , , .
- 2003. Tooth and jaw: molecular mechanisms of patterning in the first branchial arch. Arch Oral Biol 48: 1–14. , .
- 1996. In situ hybridization of cell and tissue sections. In: CotterFE, editor. Methods in molecular medicine, molecular diagnosis of cancer. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press Inc. p 193–206. .
- 2003. What cardiovascular defect does my prenatal mouse mutant have, and why? Genesis 35: 1–21. , , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the initial morphogenesis of the mammalian tooth. Dev Biol 202: 215–227. , .
- 2000. Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the tooth. Development 127: 4775–4785. , , , , .
- 2002. Pathways and fate of migratory cells during late tooth organogenesis. Connect Tissue Res 43: 245–256. .
- 2002. Periostin secreted by epithelial ovarian carcinoma is a ligand for alpha(V)beta(3) and alpha(V)beta(5) integrins and promotes cell motility. Cancer Res 62: 5358–5364. , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 and periostin by Wnt-3 in mouse mammary epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 275: 32046–32051. , , , .
- 1998. The Shh signaling pathway in tooth development: defects in Gli2 and Gli3 mutants. Development 125: 2803–2811. , , , .
- 1999. Identification and characterization of a novel protein, periostin, with restricted expression to periosteum and periodontal ligament and increased expression by transforming growth factor beta. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1239–1249. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The life history of an embryonic signaling center: BMP-4 induces p21 and is associated with apoptosis in the mouse tooth enamel knot. Development 125: 161–169. , , , , .
- 2000. Patterns of gene expression associated with BMP-2-induced osteoblast and adipocyte differentiation of mesenchymal progenitor cell 3T3-F442A. J Bone Miner Metab 18: 132–139. , , , , , .
- 2001. A mechanism of noncontinuous supraosseous tooth eruption. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 120: 263–271. , .
- 2000. Associations of FGF-3 and FGF-10 with signaling networks regulating tooth morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 219: 322–332. , , , , , .
- 1993. The effect of rate of eruption on periodontal ligament glycosylaminoglycan content and enamel formation in the rat incisor. Cell Tissue Res 274: 413–419. , , , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors by parathyroid hormone in osteoblastic cells: role of second messenger pathways. Endocrinology 136: 705–712. , , , .
- 2001. Periostin (an osteoblast-specific factor) is expressed within the embryonic mouse heart during valve formation. Mech Dev 103: 183–188. , , , , .
- 1999. Bmp4 is required for the generation of primordial germ cells in the mouse embryo Genes Dev 13: 424–436. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Biomineralization, life-time of odontogenic cells and differential expression of the two homeobox genes MSX-1 and DLX-2 in transgenic mice. J Bone Miner Res 15: 430–441. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cross-talk between Msx/Dlx homeobox genes and vitamin D during tooth mineralization. Connect Tissue Res 43: 509–514. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Epithelial mesenchymal interactions, the ECM and limb development. J Anat 202: 43–50. .
- 1987. Tenascin is associated with chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation in vivo and promotes chondrogenesis in vitro. J Cell Biol 105: 2569–2579. , , .
- 1991. Role of fibroblast subpopulations in periodontal physiology and pathology. J Periodontal Res 26: 144–154. , .
- 2003. Normal and abnormal dental development. Hum Mol Genet 12(Suppl 1): R69–R73. , .
- 1994. Regulatory role of transforming growth factor-beta, bone morphogenetic protein-2, and protein-4 on gene expression of extracellular matrix proteins and differentiation of dental pulp cells. Dev Biol 162: 18–28. , , , .
- 1990. Fibroblastic cells derived from bovine periodontal ligaments have the phenotypes of osteoblasts. J Periodontal Res 25: 179–185. , , , , , .
- 2002. A novel mechanism for the regulation of osteoblast differentiation: transcription of periostin, a member of the fasciclin I family, is regulated by the bHLH transcription factor, twist. J Cell Biochem 86: 792–804. , , , , , .
- 2001. Tenascin-C in developing mouse teeth: expression of splice variants and stimulation by TGFbeta and FGF. Eur J Oral Sci 109: 114–124. , , .
- 2002. A cell line with characteristics of the periodontal ligament fibroblasts is negatively regulated for mineralization and Runx2/Cbfa1/Osf2 activity, part of which can be overcome by bone morphogenetic protein-2. J Cell Sci 115: 4191–4200. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Integrin subunit expression associated with epithelial-mesenchymal interactions during murine tooth development. Dev Dyn 205: 104–113. , , , , .
- 2000. Wnt/Shh interactions regulate ectodermal boundary formation during mammalian tooth development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 4520–4524. , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of periostin, homologous with an insect cell adhesion molecule, as a prognostic marker in non-small cell lung cancers. Jpn J Cancer Res 92: 869–873. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of the periostin mRNA level in neuroblastoma. J Pediatr Surg 37: 1293–1297. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Msx2 deficiency in mice causes pleiotropic defects in bone growth and ectodermal organ formation/ Nat Genet 24: 391–395. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Antagonistic signals between BMP4 and FGF8 define the expression of Pitx1 and Pitx2 in mouse tooth-forming anlage. Dev Biol 217: 323–332. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Altered patterns of gene expression in response to myocardial infarction. Circ Res 86: 939–945. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Osteoblast-specific factor 2: cloning of a putative bone adhesion protein with homology with the insect protein fasciclin I. Biochem J 294: 271–278. , , , .
- 2000. Genetic basis of tooth development and dental defects. Acta Odontol Scand 58: 191–194. .
- 1997. Signalling networks regulating dental development. Mech Dev 67: 111–123. , .
- 1990. Syndecan and tenascin: induction during early tooth morphogenesis and possible interactions. Cell Differ Dev 32: 383–389. , , , .
- 1998. Interactions between Bmp-4 and Msx-1 act to restrict gene expression to odontogenic mesenchyme. Dev Dyn 212: 533–539. , , .
- 1996. The enamel knot as a signaling center in the developing mouse tooth. Mech Dev 54: 39–43. , , , , .
- 1993. Identification of BMP-4 as a signal mediating secondary induction between epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during early tooth development. Cell 70: 45–58. , , , .
- 1997. Changes in the shape and orientation of periodontal ligament fibroblasts in the continuously erupting rat incisor following removal of the occlusal load. J Dent Res 76: 1660–1666. , , , .
- 2003. The divergent expression of periostin mRNA in the periodontal ligament during experimental tooth movement. Cell Tissue Res May 22 [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of bone morphogenetic proteins and Msx genes during root formation. J Dent Res 82: 172–176. , , .
- 1987. Alkaline phosphatase in the periodontal ligament of the rabbit and macaque monkey. Arch Oral Biol 32: 677–678. , , .
- 1999. Distinct spatial and temporal distributions of aggrecan and versican in the embryonic chick heart. Anat Rec 256: 366–380. , , , , , .