MMP-2 plays an essential role in producing epithelial-mesenchymal transformations in the avian embryo
Version of Record online: 10 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on the Neural Crest and the Contributions of James A. Weston
Volume 229, Issue 1, pages 42–53, January 2004
How to Cite
Duong, T. D. and Erickson, C. A. (2004), MMP-2 plays an essential role in producing epithelial-mesenchymal transformations in the avian embryo. Dev. Dyn., 229: 42–53. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10465
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 10 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2003
- NIH. Grant Number: GM53258
- 1996. Urokinase-type plasminogen activator regulates cranial neural crest cell migration in vitro. Dev Dyn 207: 281–290. , .
- 1991. Extracellular matrix degradation. In: HayED, editor. Cell biology of extracellular matrix. New York: Plenum Press. p 255–302. , .
- 1996. Expression and function of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors at the maternal-embryonic boundary during mouse embryo implantation. Development 122: 1723–1736. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Spatial and temporal expression of the 72-kDa type IV collagenase (MMP-2) correlates with development and differentiation of valves in the embryonic avian heart. Dev Dyn 209: 261–268. , , , .
- 2000. Extrinsic regulators of epithelial tumor progression: metalloproteinases. Curr Opin Genet Dev 10: 120–127. , .
- 1997. A metalloproteinase disintegrin that releases tumour-necrosis factor-alpha from cells. Nature 385: 729–733. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation in the embryonic heart is mediated through distinct pertussis toxin-sensitive and TGFbeta signal transduction mechanisms. Dev Dyn 214: 81–91. , , .
- 2000. Tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases: evolution, structure and function. Biochim Biophys Acta 1477: 267–283. , , .
- 1996. Localization of matrix metalloproteinase MMP-2 to the surface of invasive cells by interaction with integrin alpha v beta 3. Cell 85: 683–693. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Requirement of type III TGF-beta receptor for endocardial cell transformation in the heart. Science 283: 2080–2082. , , , .
- 2002. Synthetic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor decreases early cardiac neural crest migration in chicken embryos. Dev Dyn 224: 441–449. , .
- 2000. MMP-2 expression during early avian cardiac and neural crest morphogenesis. Anat Rec 259: 168–179. , , , , .
- 1995. Developmental expression of MMP-9 (gelatinase B) mRNA in mouse embryos. Dev Dyn 204: 30–40. , , , .
- 2001. Improved method for chick whole-embryo culture using a filter paper carrier. Dev Dyn 220: 284–289. , , , .
- 1989. Proteolytic activity of specialized surface protrusions formed at rosette contact sites of transformed cells. J Exp Zool 251: 167–185. .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases regulate morphogenesis, migration and remodeling of epithelium, tongue skeletal muscle and cartilage in the mandibular arch. Development 124: 1519–1530. , .
- 1993. Involvement of a metalloprotease in low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor truncation: inhibition of truncation in vitro and in vivo. J Neurosci 13: 2405–2414. , , , .
- 1997. Organization of cells into higher ordered structures: the role of the epithelial-mesenchymal transformation in the generation and stabilization of embryonic tissues. In: LanzaRP, LangerR, ChickWL, editors. Principles of tissue engineering. Austin: RG Landes. p 9–22. .
- 1995. Avian neural crest cells can migrate in the dorsolateral path only if they are specified as melanocytes. Development 121: 915–924. , .
- 1989. Plasminogen activator activity is associated with neural crest cell motility in tissue culture. J Exp Zool 251: 123–133. , .
- 1997. Induction of cell migration by matrix metalloprotease-2 cleavage of laminin-5. Science 277: 225–228. , , , , .
- 1997. Implication of collagen type I-induced membrane-type 1-matrix metalloproteinase expression and matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation in the metastatic progression of breast carcinoma. Lab Invest 76: 651–660. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1995. Proteinase expression in early mouse embryos is regulated by leukemia inhibitory factor and epidermal growth factor. Development 121: 1005–1014. , , , , , .
- 1995. An overview of epithelio-mesenchymal transformation. Acta Anat (Basel) 154: 8–20. .
- 1995. Transformations between epithelium and mesenchyme: normal, pathological, and experimentally induced. Am J Kidney Dis 26: 678–690. , .
- 1988. Linkage of extracellular plasminogen activator to the fibroblast cytoskeleton: colocalization of cell surface urokinase with vinculin. J Cell Biol 106: 1241–1247. , .
- 1998. Cleavage of beta-catenin and plakoglobin and shedding of VE-cadherin during endothelial apoptosis: evidence for a role for caspases and metalloproteinases. Mol Biol Cell 9: 1589–1601. , , , .
- 1997. Membrane protein secretases. Biochem J 321(Pt 2): 265–279. , , .
- 1979. Origins of avian ocular and periocular tissues. Exp Eye Res 29: 27–43. , , , , .
- 1998. Calmodulin regulates L-selectin adhesion molecule expression and function through a protease-dependent mechanism. Cell 92: 809–818. , , , , .
- 1998. Muscle and tendon morphogenesis in the avian hind limb. Development 125: 4019–4032. .
- 1996. MT-MMP, the cell surface activator of proMMP-2 (pro-gelatinase A), is expressed with its substrate in mouse tissue during embryogenesis. J Cell Sci 109(Pt 5): 953–959. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The winged-helix transcription factor FoxD3 is important for establishing the neural crest lineage and repressing melanogenesis in avian embryos. Development 128: 1467–1479. , , , .
- 2003. Methods for introducing morpholinos into the chicken embryo. Dev Dyn 226: 470–477. , , , , .
- 2002. Metalloproteinase-dependent predegeneration in vitro enhances axonal regeneration within acellular peripheral nerve grafts. J Neurosci 22: 10408–10415. , , , .
- 1995. Developmental expression of mouse stromelysin-3 mRNA. Development 121: 947–955. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases MMP2 and MMP9 are produced in early stages of kidney morphogenesis but only MMP9 is required for renal organogenesis in vitro. J Cell Biol 136: 1363–1373. , , , .
- 1995. Upregulation of the 72-kDa type IV collagenase in epithelial and stromal cells during rat tracheal gland morphogenesis. Dev Biol 171: 521–530. , , , , .
- 1987. Biochemical mechanisms of tumor invasion and metastases. Clin Physiol Biochem 5: 190–199. .
- 1988. Biochemical mechanisms of tumor invasion and metastases. Adv Exp Med Biol 233: 161–169. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinase stromelysin-1 triggers a cascade of molecular alterations that leads to stable epithelial-to-mesenchymal conversion and a premalignant phenotype in mammary epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 139: 1861–1872. , , , , , .
- 1987. Neural crest cell migratory pathways in the trunk of the chick embryo. Dev Biol 121: 220–236. , .
- 1981. Analysis of developmentally homogeneous neural crest cell populations in vitro. I. Formation, morphology and differentiative behavior. Dev Biol 82: 86–94. , , , .
- 1991. Segmental origin and migration of neural crest cells in the hindbrain region of the chick embryo. Development 113: 1281–1291. , , .
- 1990. Metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in matrix remodeling. Trends Genet 6: 121–125. .
- 1992. The matrix-degrading metalloproteinases. Bioessays 14: 455–463. .
- 2001. Matrix metalloproteinases: they're not just for matrix anymore! Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 534–540. , .
- 1993. Inhibition of urokinase synthesis and cell surface binding alters the motile behavior of embryonic endocardial-derived mesenchymal cells in vitro. Development 118: 931–939. , .
- 1992. Urokinase activity in the developing avian heart: a spatial and temporal analysis. Dev Dyn 193: 24–33. , .
- 1993. Proteases of cell adhesion proteins in cancer (see comments). Semin Cancer Biol 4: 251–258. , .
- 1982. Patterns and organization of craniofacial skeletogenic and myogenic mesenchyme: a perspective. Prog Clin Biol Res 101: 167–203. .
- 1988a. In vivo invasion of modified chorioallantoic membrane by tumor cells: the role of cell surface-bound urokinase. J Cell Biol 107: 2437–2445. .
- 1988b. Plasminogen activator dependent pathways in the dissemination of human tumor cells in the chick embryo. Cell 52: 321–328. .
- 1997. Kuzbanian controls proteolytic processing of Notch and mediates lateral inhibition during Drosophila and vertebrate neurogenesis. Cell 90: 271–280. , .
- 1993. Purification and characterization of NCAD90, a soluble endogenous form of N-cadherin, which is generated by proteolysis during retinal development and retains adhesive and neurite-promoting function. J Neurosci Res 36: 33–45. , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases (see comments). Br J Surg 84: 160–166. , , , , .
- 1988. Ultrastructural localization of plasma membrane-associated urokinase-type plasminogen activator at focal contacts. J Cell Biol 106: 87–95. , , , , .
- 1998. The delayed entry of thoracic neural crest cells into the dorsolateral path is a consequence of the late emigration of melanogenic neural crest cells from the neural tube. Dev Biol 200: 234–246. , , .
- 1992. Molecular cloning of murine 72-kDa type IV collagenase and its expression during mouse development. J Biol Chem 267: 7856–7862. , , , , , .
- 1999. Diminished matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) in ectomesenchyme-derived tissues of the Patch mutant mouse: regulation of MMP-2 by PDGF and effects on mesenchymal cell migration. Dev Biol 212: 255–263. , , , .
- 1992. Association between the expression of murine 72 kDa type IV collagenase by odontoblasts and basement membrane degradation during mouse tooth development. Arch Oral Biol 37: 1021–1030. , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the tendon cell fate using Scleraxis, a specific marker for tendons and ligaments. Development 128: 3855–3866. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Bone morphogenetic proteins induce apoptosis and growth factor dependence of cultured sympathoadrenal progenitor cells. Dev Biol 196: 119–127. , , .
- 2001. How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 463–516. , .
- 1993. Tumor cell interactions with the extracellular matrix during invasion and metastasis. Annu Rev Cell Biol 9: 541–573. , , .
- 1994. Targeted expression of stromelysin-1 in mammary gland provides evidence for a role of proteinases in branching morphogenesis and the requirement for an intact basement membrane for tissue-specific gene expression (published erratum appears in J Cell Biol 1996;132:752). J Cell Biol 125: 681–693. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Proteinases of the mammary gland: developmental regulation in vivo and vectorial secretion in culture. Development 112: 439–449. , , , , .
- 1994. Neural crest cells prefer the myotome's basal lamina over the sclerotome as a substratum. Dev Biol 163: 389–406. , , .
- 1985. Production of plasminogen activator by migrating cephalic neural crest cells. EMBO J 4: 1403–1406. , .
- 1990. Cleavage of A-CAM by endogenous proteinases in cultured lens cells and in developing chick embryos. Dev Biol 139: 314–326. , , , .
- 1997. Cleavage of beta 4 integrin by matrilysin. Exp Cell Res 236: 341–345. , , , .
- 1998. MMP-9/gelatinase B is a key regulator of growth plate angiogenesis and apoptosis of hypertrophic chondrocytes. Cell 93: 411–422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Proteinases and matrix degradation. In: KelleyWN, HarrisEDJ, RuddyS, SledgeCB, editors. Textbook of rheumatology. Philadelphia: WB Saunders. p 300–321. .
- 1997. ECM and cell surface proteolysis: regulating cellular ecology. Cell 91: 439–442. .
- 1998. A cellular striptease act (comment). Science 282: 1279–1280. , .
- 1995. ADAM, a widely distributed and developmentally regulated gene family encoding membrane proteins with a disintegrin and metalloprotease domain. Dev Biol 169: 378–383. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cloning and developmental expression of a membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase from chicken. J Biol Chem 271: 25548–25554. , , , , .