Roles of maf family proteins in lens development
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Chick as a Model System
Volume 229, Issue 3, pages 440–448, March 2004
How to Cite
Reza, H. M. and Yasuda, K. (2004), Roles of maf family proteins in lens development. Dev. Dyn., 229: 440–448. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10467
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 11 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 15 AUG 2003
- Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture of Japan
- 2000. Pax6 activity in the lens primordium is required for lens formation and for correct placement of a single retina in the eye. Genes Dev 14: 2701–2711. , , , .
- 2002. Bone morphogenetic protein signaling and the initiation of lens fiber cell differentiation. Development 129: 3795–3802. , , .
- 1998. mafA, a novel member of the maf proto-oncogene family, displays developmental regulation and mitogenic capacity in avian neuroretina cells. Oncogene 17: 247–254. , , , , , .
- 2001. Phosphorylation of MafA is essential for its transcriptional and biological properties. Mol Cell Biol 21: 4441–4452. , , , , , .
- 1997. The Maf transcription factors: regulators of differentiation. Trends Biochem Sci 22: 437–441. , .
- 1987. Evidence that fibroblast growth factor promotes lens fibre differentiation. Curr Eye Res 6: 1165–1169. , .
- 1998. Frequent dysregulation of the c-maf proto-oncogene at 16q23 by translocation to an Ig locus in multiple myeloma. Blood 91: 4457–4463. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Early eye development in vertebrates. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 255–296. , .
- 2002. c-Maf, the gammaD-crystallin Maf-responsive element and growth factor regulation. Nucleic Acids Res 30: 975–982. , , .
- 2003. Analysis of non-crystallin lens fiber cell gene expression in c-Maf -/- mice. Mol Vis 9: 288–294. , , , .
- 2001. DNA sequence-dependent folding determines the divergence in binding specificities between Maf and other bZIP proteins. EMBO J 20: 828–840. , , , .
- 2001. Regulatory elements in the rat betaB2-crystallin promoter. Exp Eye Res 73: 703–710. , , , , .
- 1995. A requirement for bone morphogenetic protein-7 during development of the mammalian kidney and eye. Genes Dev 9: 2795–2807. , , .
- 2001. Fgf receptor signaling plays a role in lens induction. Development 128: 4425–4438. , , , , , .
- 2002. Bmp signaling is required for development of primary lens fiber cells. Development 129: 3727–3737. , , , .
- 1998. BMP4 is essential for lens induction in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 12: 3764–3775. , .
- 1992. Embryonic lens induction: shedding light on vertebrate tissue determination. Trends Genet 8: 349–355. .
- 1994. Mutations at the PAX6 locus are found in heterogeneous anterior segment malformations including Peters' anomaly. Nat Genet 6: 168–173. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Activity and expression of murine small Maf family protein MafK. J Biol Chem 270: 7615–7624. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Up-regulation of novel intermediate filament proteins in primary fiber cells: an indicator of all vertebrate lens fiber differentiation? Anat Rec 258: 25–33. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Distinct roles of maf genes during Xenopus lens development. Mech Dev 101: 155–166. , .
- 2002. Domain disruption and mutation of the bZIP transcription factor, MAF, associated with cataract, ocular anterior segment dysgenesis and coloboma. Hum Mol Genet 11: 33–42. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Pulverulent cataract with variably associated microcornea and iris coloboma in a MAF mutation family. Br J Ophthalmol 87: 411–412. , , , , , .
- 2001. Isolation, characterization, and expression analysis of zebrafish large Mafs. J Biochem 129: 139–146. , , , , , .
- 1993. Overlapping positive and negative regulatory elements determine lens-specific activity of the delta 1-crystallin enhancer. Mol Cell Biol 13: 5206–5215. , .
- 2001. Pax6 and SOX2 form a co-DNA-binding partner complex that regulates initiation of lens development. Genes Dev 15: 1272–1286. , , , , .
- 1994a. MafB, a new Maf family transcription activator that can associate with Maf and Fos but not with Jun. Mol Cell Biol 14: 7581–7591. , , , .
- 1994b. Maf nuclear oncoprotein recognizes sequences related to an AP-1 site and forms heterodimers with both Fos and Jun. Mol Cell Biol 14: 700–712. , , .
- 1995. Small Maf proteins heterodimerize with Fos and may act as competitive repressors of the NF-E2 transcription factor. Mol Cell Biol 15: 2180–2190. , , , , , , .
- 2002. MafA is a glucose-regulated and pancreatic beta-cell-specific transcriptional activator for the insulin gene. J Biol Chem 277: 49903–49910. , , , , , .
- 1992. Isolation of the avian transforming retrovirus, AS42, carrying the v-maf oncogene and initial characterization of its gene product. Virology 188: 778–784. , , , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of lens fiber cell differentiation by transcription factor c-Maf. J Biol Chem 274: 19254–19260. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. A conserved region adjacent to the basic domain is required for recognition of an extended DNA binding site by Maf/Nrl family proteins. Oncogene 9: 3149–3158. , .
- 1999. Requirement for the c-Maf transcription factor in crystallin gene regulation and lens development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 3781–3785. , , , , .
- 1999. Transcription factors for lens development assessed in vivo. Curr Opin Genet Dev 9: 301–308. .
- 1995. The maf proto-oncogene stimulates transcription from multiple sites in a promoter that directs Purkinje neuron-specific gene expression. Mol Cell Biol 15: 246–254. , .
- 2002. Solution structure of the DNA-binding domain of MafG. Nat Struct Biol 9: 252–256. , , , , , .
- 2001. FGF signaling in chick lens development. Dev Biol 233: 394–411. , .
- 1996. Expression of the bZIP transcription factor gene Nrl in the developing nervous system. Oncogene 12: 207–211. , , , , .
- 1998. Overlapping effects of different members of the FGF family on lens fiber differentiation in transgenic mice. Development 125: 3365–3377. , .
- 2003. A dominant mutation within the DNA-binding domain of the bZIP transcription factor Maf causes murine cataract and results in selective alteration in DNA binding. Hum Mol Genet 12: 585–594. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The cooperative interaction between two motifs of an enhancer element of the chicken alpha A-crystallin gene, alpha CE1 and alpha CE2, confers lens-specific expression. Nucleic Acids Res 20: 3701–3712. , .
- 1992. Identification of the contact sites of a factor that interacts with motif I (alpha CE1) of the chicken alpha A-crystallin lens-specific enhancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 184: 24–30. , , .
- 1992. Cloning of the Drosophila prospero gene and its expression in ganglion mother cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 182: 1326–1332. , , , , .
- 1980. Induction of the eye lens. Differentiation 17: 137–149. .
- 1996. valentino: a zebrafish gene required for normal hindbrain segmentation. Development 122: 3981–3990. , , , , .
- 1997. The world according to Maf. Nucleic Acids Res 25: 2953–2959. , , , , .
- 1998. Transcription factor CP2 is essential for lens-specific expression of the chicken alphaA-crystallin gene. Genes Cells 3: 443–457. , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles of SOX2, Pax6 and Maf transcription factors in the regulation of lens-specific delta1-crystallin enhancer. Genes Cells 7: 791–805. , , , , .
- 1998. Sox1 directly regulates the gamma-crystallin genes and is essential for lens development in mice. Genes Dev 12: 776–781. , , , , .
- 1989. v-maf, a viral oncogene that encodes a “leucine zipper” motif. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86: 7711–7715. , , , , .
- 2003. The stability of the lens-specific Maf protein is regulated by fibroblast growth factor (FGF)/ERK signaling in lens fiber differentiation. J Biol Chem 278: 537–544. , , , .
- 1998. Induction of lens differentiation by activation of a bZIP transcription factor, L-Maf. Science 280: 115–118. , .
- 2000. Sequential activation of transcription factors in lens induction. Dev Growth Differ 42: 437–448. , .
- 1993. Prox 1, a prospero-related homeobox gene expressed during mouse development. Mech Dev 44: 3–16. , , , , , .
- 1981. Lens differentiation in vertebrates. A review of cellular and molecular features. Differentiation 19: 134–153. .
- 1993. Chicken filensin: a lens fiber cell protein that exhibits sequence similarity to intermediate filament proteins. J Cell Sci 105: 1057–1068. .
- 2002. L-Maf, a downstream target of Pax6, is essential for chick lens development. Mech Dev 116: 61–73. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of mouse lens fiber cell development and differentiation by the Maf gene. Development 127: 307–317. , , , .
- 1991. Chicken beta B1-crystallin gene expression: presence of conserved functional polyomavirus enhancer-like and octamer binding-like promoter elements found in non-lens genes. Mol Cell Biol 11: 1488–1499. , , .
- 1997. Rat maf related genes: specific expression in chondrocytes, lens and spinal cord. Oncogene 14: 745–750. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Functional redundancy of the DE-1 and alpha A-CRYBP1 regulatory sites of the mouse alpha A-crystallin promoter. Nucleic Acids Res 21: 2633–2640. , , .
- 1993. Acidic and basic FGF in ocular media and lens: implications for lens polarity and growth patterns. Development 118: 117–126. , , , .
- 1998. A novel homeobox gene PITX3 is mutated in families with autosomal-dominant cataracts and ASMD. Nat Genet 19: 167–170. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mutations in the human forkhead transcription factor FOXE3 associated with anterior segment ocular dysgenesis and cataracts. Hum Mol Genet 10: 231–236. , , , , .
- 2003. Cooperative action between L-Maf and Sox2 on delta-crystallin gene expression during chick lens development. Mech Dev 120: 455–465. , , , .
- 1992. A conserved retina-specific gene encodes a basic motif/leucine zipper domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 266–270. , , , , , .
- 2000. Multiple functions of fibroblast growth factor-8 (FGF-8) in chick eye development. Mech Dev 94: 25–36. , , , , , .
- 1999. Human KRML (MAFB): cDNA cloning, genomic structure, and evaluation as a candidate tumor suppressor gene in myeloid leukemias. Genomics 59: 275–281. , , , , , .
- 1999. BMP7 acts in murine lens placode development. Dev Biol 207: 176–188. , , , , , .
- 1992. Neural retina-specific leucine zipper gene NRL (D14S46E) maps to human chromosome 14q11.1-q11.2. Genomics 14: 491–492. , .
- 1997. Differential expression of maf-1 and maf-2 genes in the developing rat lens. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 38: 2679–2683. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of the chicken L-Maf, MafB and c-Maf in crystallin gene regulation and lens differentiation. Genes Cells 7: 693–706. , .