Complementation of melanocyte development in SOX10 mutant neural crest using lineage-directed gene transfer
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on the Neural Crest and the Contributions of James A. Weston
Volume 229, Issue 1, pages 54–62, January 2004
How to Cite
Hou, L., Loftus, S. K., Incao, A., Chen, A. and Pavan, W. J. (2004), Complementation of melanocyte development in SOX10 mutant neural crest using lineage-directed gene transfer. Dev. Dyn., 229: 54–62. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10468
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2003
- 2002. The role of microphthalmia in pigment cell development. In: OrtonneJP, BalottiR, editors. Mechanisms of suntanning. London: Martin Dunitz Publication. p 49–63. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neurocristopathy: its growth and development in 20 years. Pediatr Pathol Lab Med 17: 1–25. .
- 2001. Human Connexin 32, a gap junction protein altered in the X-linked form of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, is directly regulated by the transcription factor SOX10. Hum Mol Genet 10: 2783–2795. , , , , , .
- 2001. The transcription factor Sox10 is a key regulator of peripheral glial development. Genes Dev 15: 66–78. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neural crest-directed gene transfer demonstrates Wnt1 role in melanocyte expansion and differentiation during mouse development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 10050–10055. , , , .
- 2001. In utero complementation of a neural crest-derived melanocyte defect using cell directed gene transfer. Genesis 30: 70–76. , , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish colourless encodes sox10 and specifies non-ectomesenchymal neural crest fates. Development 128: 4113–4125. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Pax3 and vertebrate development. Methods Mol Biol 137: 459–470. .
- 1994. A system for tissue-specific gene targeting: transgenic mice susceptible to subgroup A avian leukosis virus-based retroviral vectors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 11241–11245. , , , , .
- 1999. Development of a flexible and specific gene delivery system for production of murine tumor models. Oncogene 18: 5253–5260. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. MYC expression promotes the proliferation of neural progenitor cells in culture and in vivo. Neoplasia 4: 32–39. , , , .
- 1991. Pax-3, a novel murine DNA binding protein expressed during early neurogenesis. EMBO J 10: 1135–1147. , , , , .
- 2000. DNA cloning using in vitro site-specific recombination. Genome Res 10: 1788–1795. , , .
- 1998. Mutation of the Sry-related Sox10 gene in Dominant megacolon, a mouse model for human Hirschsprung disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 5161–5165. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Basic fibroblast growth factor induces cell migration and proliferation after glia-specific gene transfer in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 1218–1223. , .
- 2000. Signaling and transcriptional regulation in the neural crest-derived melanocyte lineage: interactions between KIT and MITF. Development 127: 5379–5389. , , .
- 1987. Adaptor plasmids simplify the insertion of foreign DNA into helper-independent retroviral vectors. J Virol 61: 3004–3012. , , , .
- 1984. The differentiation in vitro of the neural crest of the mouse embryo. J Embryol Exp Morphol 84: 49–62. , .
- 2003. SOX10 maintains multipotency and inhibits neuronal differentiation of neural crest stem cells. Neuron 38: 17–31. , , , .
- 1998. Sox10, a novel transcriptional modulator in glial cells. J Neurosci 18: 237–250. , , , , .
- 1989. Dynamic, structural, and regulatory aspects of lambda site-specific recombination. Annu Rev Biochem 58: 913–949. .
- 1984. Association of megacolon with a new dominant spotting gene (Dom) in the mouse. J Hered 75: 435–439. , .
- 2000. Pax3 is required for enteric ganglia formation and functions with Sox10 to modulate expression of c-ret. J Clin Invest 106: 963–971. , , , , , .
- 1999. The neural crest. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2000. Direct regulation of the Microphthalmia promoter by Sox10 links Waardenburg-Shah syndrome (WS4)-associated hypopigmentation and deafness to WS2. J Biol Chem 275: 37978–37983. , , , , .
- 1999. Transgenic rescue of congenital heart disease and spina bifida in Splotch mice. Development 126: 2495–2503. , , , , .
- 2000. Neural crest expression of Cre recombinase directed by the proximal Pax3 promoter in transgenic mice. Genesis 26: 162–164. , , .
- 1999. Cell type-specific activation of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes by Sox10. J Neurosci 19: 9747–9755. , , , .
- 2001. Generation of RCAS vectors useful for functional genomic analyses. DNA Res 8: 221–226. , , , , .
- 2002. Mutation of melanosome protein RAB38 in chocolate mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 4471–4476. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. EDNRB/EDN3 and Hirschsprung disease type II. Pigment Cell Res 4: 161–169. , .
- 2003. The importance of having your SOX on: role of SOX10 in the development of neural crest-derived melanocytes and glia. Oncogene 22: 3024–3034. , .
- 2003. Use of avian retroviral vectors to introduce transcriptional regulators into mammalian cells for analyses of tumor maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 8764–8769. , , , .
- 2001. Survival and glial fate acquisition of neural crest cells are regulated by an interplay between the transcription factor Sox10 and extrinsic combinatorial signaling. Development 128: 3949–3961. , , , , .
- 2000. Protein zero gene expression is regulated by the glial transcription factor Sox10. Mol Cell Biol 20: 3198–3209. , , , .
- 1998. SOX10 mutations in patients with Waardenburg-Hirschprung disease. Nat Genet 18: 171–173. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transcription factor hierarchy in Waardenburg syndrome: regulation of MITF expression by SOX10 and PAX3. Hum Genet 107: 1–6. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of SOX10 function in neural crest-derived melanocyte development: SOX10-dependent transcriptional control of dopachrome tautomerase. Dev Biol 237: 245–257. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sox10 mutation disrupts neural crest development in Dom Hirschsprung mouse model. Nat Genet 18: 60–64. , , .
- 1986. Phenotypic diversification in neural crest-derived cells: the time and stability of commitment during early development. Curr Top Dev Biol 20: 195–210. .