Neural crest and the origin of ectomesenchyme: Neural fold heterogeneity suggests an alternative hypothesis
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on the Neural Crest and the Contributions of James A. Weston
Volume 229, Issue 1, pages 118–130, January 2004
How to Cite
Weston, J. A., Yoshida, H., Robinson, V., Nishikawa, S., T. Fraser, S. and Nishikawa, S. (2004), Neural crest and the origin of ectomesenchyme: Neural fold heterogeneity suggests an alternative hypothesis. Dev. Dyn., 229: 118–130. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10478
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 2 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2003
- NIH. Grant Numbers: DE04316, NS29438, HD36396
- Japanese Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture
- Japanese Ministry of Science and Technology
- 2003. Snail precedes Slug in the genetic cascade required for the specification and migration of the Xenopus neural crest. Development 130: 483–494. , , .
- 1939. The behavior of the neural crest in the forebrain region of Amblystoma. J Comp Neurol 71: 389–409. , .
- 1988. Clone-forming ability and differentiation potential of migratory neural crest cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85: 5325–5329. , , .
- 1991. Common precursors for neural and mesectodermal derivatives in the cephalic neural crest. Development 112: 301–305. , , .
- 1984. Dependence of thymus development on derivatives of the neural crest. Science 223: 498–500. , .
- 2000. The transcription factor Snail controls epithelial–mesenchymal transitions by repressing E-cadherin expression. Nat Cell Biol 2: 76–83. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of neural crest migration in Xenopus using antisense Slug RNA. Dev Biol 213: 101–115. , , , .
- 1964. Analyse par la méthode de marquage nucléaire à la thymidine tritiée des dérivés de la crête neurale céphalique chez l'Urodéle Pleurodeles waltlii. CR Acad Sci Paris 259: 3624–3627. .
- 2001. Toward a cellular and molecular understanding of neurulation. Dev Dyn 221: 117–145. , .
- 2000. Expression of CD44 during early development of the chick embryo. Mech Dev 96: 111–114. , , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 1947. The differentiation of neural crest cells into visceral cartilages and odontoblasts in Amblystoma, and a re-examination of the germ-layer theory. Proc R Soc B134: 377–398. .
- 1982. Distribution of fibronectin in the early phase of avian cephalic neural crest cell migration. Dev Biol 93: 301–307. , .
- 1988. Spatial and temporal distribution of the adherens-junction-associated adhesion molecule A-CAM during avian embryogenesis. Development 103: 325–344. , , , , .
- 1995. Epithelium-mesenchyme transition during neural crest development. Acta Anat 154: 63–78. , , , .
- 2003. Cadherin-mediated cell adhesion and tissue segregation: qualitative and quantitative determinants. Dev Biol 253: 309–323. , , .
- 1935. An experimental study of the origin of pigment cells in Amphibia. J Exp Zool 72: 1–31. .
- 2002. Bimodal functions of Notch-mediated signaling are involved in neural crest formation during avian ectoderm development. Development 129: 863–873. , , .
- 1997. Organization of cells into higher ordered structures: the role of the epithelial-mesenchymal transformation in the generation and stabilization of embryonic tissues. In: LanzaR, LangerR, ChickWL, editors. Principles of tissue engineering. Austin, TX: RG Landes. p 9–22. .
- 1998. Neural crest development: the interplay between morphogenesis and cell differentiation. Curr Top Dev Biol 40: 177–209. , .
- 1997. Disruption of Msx-1 and Msx-2 reveals roles for these genes in craniofacial, eye, and axial development. Dev Dyn 209: 70–84. , .
- 2000. Reconciling different models of forebrain induction and patterning: a dual role for the hypoblast. Development 127: 3839–3854. , , .
- 1995. Expression of M-twist during postimplantation development of the mouse. Dev Dyn 204: 316–322. .
- 1983. Neural crest and the origin of vertebrates: a new head. Science 220: 268–274. , .
- 1997. Twist protein in mouse embryogenesis. Dev Biol 189: 205–214. .
- 1999. The neural crest in development and evolution. New York: Springer-Verlag. 313 p. .
- 1988. The neural crest. London: Oxford University Press. 303 p. , .
- 1979. Ability of neural crest cells from the embryonic chick to differentiate into cartilage before their migration away from the neural tube. Anat Rec 194: 469–476. , .
- 1994. A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Development 120: 2879–2889. , .
- 1980. Development of the vertebrate cornea. Int Rev Cytol 63: 263–322. .
- 1997. Timing and pattern of cell fate restrictions in the neural crest lineage. Development 124: 4351–4359. , .
- 1995. Screeen for mutations affecting development of zebrafish neural crest. Dev Genet 18: 11–17. , , , , , .
- 1989. A Xenopus mRNA related to Drosophila twist is expressed in response to induction in the mesoderm and the neural crest. Cell 59: 893–903. , , .
- 1950. The neural crest. London: Oxford University Press. 111 p. .
- 1946. Experimentelle untersuchungen über die Determination des Knorpeligen Kopfskelettes bei Urodelen. Nova Acta Soc Sci Upsal Ser IV 13: 1–170. , .
- 1991. In vitro clonal analysis of quail cardiac neural crest development. Dev Biol 148: 95–106. , .
- 1966. A radioautographic study of the migration and fate of cranial crest cells in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 156: 143–156. .
- 2000. BMP signaling is essential for development of skeletogenic and neurogenic cranial neural crest. Development 127: 1095–1104. , , , .
- 1996. Zebrafish pigmentation mutations and the processes of neural crest development. Development 123: 369–389. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Neural crest cells contribute to normal aorticopulmonary septation. Science 220: 1059–1061. , , .
- 2001. The winged-helix transcription factor FoxD3 is important for establishing the neural crest lineage and repressing melanogenesis in avian embryos. Development 128: 1467–1479. , , , .
- 2000. Snail-related transcriptional repressors are required in Xenopus for both the induction of the neural crest and its subsequent migration. Dev Biol 221: 195–205. , .
- 1998. Neural fold fusion in the cranial region of the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 212: 473–481. , .
- 2000. The neural crest. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1978. Participation of neural crest derived cells in the genesis of the skull in birds. J Embryol Exp Morphol 47: 17–37. .
- 1975. Mesenchymal derivatives of the neural crest: analysis of chimaeric quail and chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 34: 125–154. , .
- 2002. Modularity and reshuffling of Snail and Slug expression during vertebrate evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 16841–16846. , , , .
- 2003a. Molecular identification of distinct neurogenic and melanogenic neural crest sublineages. Development 130: 321–330. , , , .
- 2003b. Induction of neural crest in Xenopus by transcription factor AP2alpha. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 532–537. , , , .
- 1988. Origin of the dorsal surface of the neural tube by progressive delamination of epidermal ectoderm and neuroepithelium: implications for neurulation and neural tube defects. Development 103: 687–706. .
- 1995. Fetal brain subdivisions defined by R- and E-cadherin expressions: evidence for the role of cadherin activity in region-specific, cell-cell adhesion. Dev Biol 172: 466–478. , .
- 1995. Induction of the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Development 121: 767–777. , , .
- 1999. Development of neural crest in xenopus. Curr Top Dev Biol 43: 85–113. , , .
- 1990. Selective expression of PDGF A and its receptor during early mouse embryogenesis. Dev Biol 138: 114–122. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Characterization of the role of cadherin in regulating cell adhesion during sea urchin development. Dev Biol 192: 323–339. , .
- 1993. Mammalian neural crest and neural crest derivatives. Anat Anz 175: 501–507. , , .
- 1992. A PDGF receptor mutation in the mouse (Patch) perturbs the development of a non-neuronal subset of neural crest-derived cells. Development 115: 133–142. , , , , .
- 1989. Neural fold formation at newly created boundaries between neural plate and epidermis in the axolotl. Dev Biol 133: 44–57. , .
- 1990. The origins of neural crest cells in the axolotl. Dev Biol 141: 243–253. , .
- 1998. Neural crest emigration from the neural tube depends on regulated cadherin expression. Development 125: 2963–2971. , .
- 2000. A novel member of the Xenopus Zic family, Zic5, mediates neural crest development. Mech Dev 99: 83–91. , , , .
- 1995. Control of epitheliomesenchymal transformation. I. Events in the onset of neural crest cell migration are separable and inducible by protein kinase inhibitors. Dev Biol 170: 91–101. , .
- 1980. Fibronectin in early avian embryos: synthesis and distribution along the migration pathways of neural crest cells. Cell Tissue Res 211: 269–291. , .
- 1997. Changes in cell adhesion and extracellular matrix molecules in spontaneous spinal neural tube defects in avian embryos. Teratology 55: 195–207. , , , .
- 1981. Neural crest formation in the head of the mouse embryo as observed using a new histological technique. J Embryol Exp Morphol 64: 105–120. .
- 1986. Formation and distribution of neural crest mesenchyme to the first pharyngeal arch region of the mouse embryo. Am J Anat 176: 221–231. .
- 1998. In vitro generation of lymphohematopoietic cells from endothelial cells purified from murine embryos. Immunology 8: 761–769. , , , , , , .
- 1975. An analysis of the migratory behavior of avian cephalic neural crest cells. Dev Biol 42: 106–130. .
- 1978. The control of avian cepalic neural crest cytodifferentiation. I. Skeletal and connective tissues. Dev Biol 67: 313–329. .
- 1988. Interactions and fates of avian craniofacial mesenchyme. Development 103( Suppl): 121–140. .
- 1999. Minireview: summary of the initial development of the human nervous system. Teratology 60: 39–41. , .
- 1992. Platelet-derived growth factor-A and its receptor are expressed in separate, but adjacent cell layers of the mouse embryo. Development 115: 1045–1058. , .
- 2003a. The human tissue plasminogen activator-Cre mouse: a new tool for targeting specifically neural crest cells and their derivatives in vivo. Dev Biol 259: 176–187. , , , , .
- 2003b. Differential expression of beta3 integrin gene in chick and mouse cranial neural crest cells. Dev Dyn 227: 309–313. , , .
- 1931. Zur Entwicklung der Ganglienleiste: I. Die Kinematik der Ganglienleistenentwicklung bei den Urodelen. Arch Entwicklmech Org 125: 210–292. .
- 1936. Zur Entwicklung der Ganglienleiste: V. Über die Differenzierung des Rumpfganglienleistenmaterials. Wilhelm Roux Arch Entwicklmech Org 134: 122–145. .
- 1937. Experiments on the origin of the sheath cells and sympathetic neuroblasts in Amphibia. J Comp Neurol 67: 220–240. .
- 1987. Neural crest development in the Xenopus laevis embryo, studied by interspecific transplantation and scanning electron microscopy. Dev Biol 124: 91–110. , .
- 1993. Differential expression of multiple fork-head related genes during gastrulation and axial pattern formation in the mouse embryo. Development 118: 47–59. , .
- 2001. Requirement of FoxD3-class signaling for neural crest determination in Xenopus. Development 128: 2525–2536. , , .
- 1994. Msx1 deficient mice exhibit cleft palate and abnormalities of craniofacial and tooth development. Nat Genet 6: 348–356. , .
- 1992. Regulation and role of PDGF receptor a-subunit expression during embryogenesis. Development 115: 123–131. , , , , .
- 1994. Segment and cell type lineage restrictions during pharyngeal arch development in the zebrafish embryo. Development 120: 483–494. , .
- 1995. Origins of the avian neural crest: the role of neural plate-epidermal interactions. Development 121: 525–538. , .
- 1996. Double immunofluorescent staining using two unconjugated primary antisera raised in the same species. J Histochem Cytochem 44: 1331–1335. , .
- 1990. Development and evolutionary origins of vertebrate skeletogenic and odontogenic tissues. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 65: 277–373. , .
- 1997. Neurulation: coming to closure. TINS 20: 510–517. , .
- 2002. Twist function is required for the morphogenesis of the cephalic neural tube and the differentiation of the cranial neural crest in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 247: 251–270. , , , , , , .
- 1997. The PDGF alpha receptor is required for neural crest cell development and for normal patterning of the somites. Development 124: 2691–2700. .
- 1997. The Tabby phenotype is caused by mutation in a mouse homologue of the EDA gene that reveals novel mouse and human exons and encodes a protein (ectodysplasin-A) with collagenous domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 13069–13074. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor α-subunit gene (PDGFRα) is deleted in the mouse patch (Ph) mutation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 6–10. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Dorso-ventral and rostro-caudal sequential expression of M-twist in the postimplantation murine embryo. Mech Dev 51: 251–263. , , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of platelet-derived growth factor receptor-α in hair canal formation. J Invest Dermatol 107: 770–777. , , , , .
- 1997. PDGFRα expression during mouse embryogenesis: immunolocalization analyzed by whole-mount immunohistostaining using the monoclonal anti mouse PDGFRα antibody APA5. J Histochem Cytochem 45: 883–893. , , , , , .
- 1985. The development and distribution of the cranial neural crest in the rat embryo. Cell Tissue Res 240: 403–416. , .
- 1996. Tooth morphogenesis and cell differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 8: 844–850. , .
- 1984. Ontogenetic expression of cell adhesion molecules: L-CAM is found in epithelia derived from the three primary germ layers. Dev Biol 102: 61–78. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of snail2, a second member of the zebrafish Snail family, in cephalic mesendoderm and presumptive neural crest of wild-type and spadetail mutant embryos. Dev Biol 172: 86–99. , , .
- 1998. A signaling cascade involving endothelin-1, dHAND and msx1 regulates development of neural-crest-derived branchial arch mesenchyme. Development 125: 3005–3014. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mesodermal subdivision along the mediolateral axis in chicken controlled by different concentrations of BMP-4. Development 124: 1975–1984. , , , .
- 2003. Embryologist. My eight decades in developmental biology. Alexandria, VA: J&S Publishing Co., Inc. 296 p. .
- 1980. The neural crest: a study on cell degeneration and the improbability of cell migration in mouse embryos. Ned J Zool 30: 74–81. , .
- 1979. Cephalic neural crest and placodes. New York: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1997. Sequential expression and role of Hu RNA-binding proteins during neurogenesis. Development 124: 3449–3460. , .
- 1998. Avian neural crest-derived neurogenic precursors undergo apoptosis on the lateral migration pathway. Development 125: 4205–4213. , , , .
- 1976. Topographical changes along the neural fold associated with neurulation in the hamster and mouse. Am J Anat 146: 151–171. .
- 1996. Ectopic c-kit expression affects the fate of melanocyte precursors in Patch mutant embryos. Dev Biol 177: 463–474. , , .
- 1970. The migration and differentiation of neural crest cells. Adv Morphog 8: 41–114. .
- 1984. The embryonic neural crest: migration and differentiation and possible contributions to the developing lung. In: BeckerKL, GazdarAF, editors. The endocrine lung in health and disease. Philadelphia: WB Saunders. p 79–97. .
- 1991. Sequential segregation and fate of developmentally restricted intermediate cell populations in the neural crest lineage. Curr Top Dev Biol 25: 133–153. .