Signals regulating tendon formation during chick embryonic development
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Chick as a Model System
Volume 229, Issue 3, pages 449–457, March 2004
How to Cite
Edom-Vovard, F. and Duprez, D. (2004), Signals regulating tendon formation during chick embryonic development. Dev. Dyn., 229: 449–457. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10481
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 14 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2003
- Association Française contre les Myopathies (AFM)
- Association pour la Recherche contre le Cancer (ARC)
- Ministère de la Recherche (ACI jeunes chercheurs)
- “Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale” (FRM)
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
- 2002. Abnormal collagen fibrils in tendons of biglycan/fibromodulin-deficient mice lead to gait impairment, ectopic ossification, and osteoarthritis. FASEB J 16: 673–680. , , , , , .
- 1998. The importance of timing differentiation during limb muscle development. Curr Biol 8: 642–652. , , , .
- 1995. Targeted mutation in the col5a2 gene reveals a regulatory role for type V collagen during matrix assembly. Nat Genet 9: 31–36. , , , , .
- 2002. TGF-beta alters collagen XII and XIV mRNA levels in cultured equine tenocytes. Matrix Biol 21: 243–250. , , , , .
- 2000. The cell and developmental biology of tendons and ligaments. Int Rev Cytol 196: 85–130. , .
- 2002. The skeletal attachment of tendons-tendon ‘entheses’. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 133: 931–945. , , , , , .
- 1997. Localization of collagen types I, III and V during tendon development. Changes in collagen types I and III are correlated with changes in fibril diameter. Eur J Cell Biol 72: 352–361. , .
- 1995. Collagen fibrillogenesis in situ: fibril segments undergo post-depositional modifications resulting in linear and lateral growth during matrix development. Dev Dyn 202: 229–243. , , .
- 1997. Collagen fibrillogenesis in situ: fibril segments become long fibrils as the developing tendon matures. Dev Dyn 208: 291–298. , , , , .
- 1998. Collagen VI deficiency induces early onset myopathy in the mouse: an animal model for Bethlem myopathy. Hum Mol Genet 7: 2135–2140. , , , , , .
- 2001. A novel gene, tendin, is strongly expressed in tendons and ligaments and shows high homology with chondromodulin-I. Dev Dyn 221: 72–80. , , , .
- 2003. A somitic compartment of tendon progenitors. Cell 113: 235–248. , , .
- 1999. Dual role of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor scleraxis in mesoderm formation and chondrogenesis during mouse embryogenesis. Development 126: 4317–4329. , , , , .
- 2002. Collagen fibril biosynthesis in tendon: a review and recent insights. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 133: 979–985. , .
- 1998. Lumican regulates collagen fibril assembly: skin fragility and corneal opacity in the absence of lumican. J Cell Biol 141: 1277–1286. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effect of basic fibroblast growth factor. An in vitro study of tendon healing. Clin Orthop Sept: 239–247. , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) on early stages of tendon healing: a rat patellar tendon model. Acta Orthop Scand 71: 513–518. , , , , , .
- 1982. On the role of the connective tissue in the patterning of the chick limb musculature. Wilhem Rouxs Arch 191: 277–280. , .
- 1977. Limb-somite relationship: origin of the limb musculature. J Embryol Exp Morphol 41: 245–258. , , .
- 1977. Experimental analysis of the origin of the wing musculature in avian embryos. Anat Embryol (Berl) 150: 171–186. , , .
- 2001. GDF-5 deficiency in mice leads to disruption of tail tendon form and function. Connect Tissue Res 42: 175–186. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FGF5 stimulates expansion of connective tissue fibroblasts and inhibits skeletal muscle development in the limb. Dev Dyn 219: 368–380. , , , , , .
- 1999. Involvement of long- and short-range signalling during early tendon development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 200: 367–375. , .
- 1997. Targeted disruption of decorin leads to abnormal collagen fibril morphology and skin fragility. J Cell Biol 136: 729–743. , , , , , .
- 1991. Fibroblasts retain their tissue phenotype when grown in three-dimensional collagen gels. Exp Cell Res 195: 432–442. , .
- 1998. EphA4 (Sek1) receptor tyrosine kinase is required for the development of the corticospinal tract. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 13248–13253. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Targeted mutations of transforming growth factor-beta genes reveal important roles in mouse development and adult homeostasis. Eur J Biochem 267: 6982–6988. , .
- 2001a. Fgf8 transcripts are located in tendons during embryonic chick limb development. Mech Dev 108: 203–206. , , .
- 2001b. Misexpression of Fgf-4 in the chick limb inhibits myogenesis by down-regulating Frek expression. Dev Biol 233: 56–71. , , .
- 2002. Fgf4 positively regulates scleraxis and tenascin expression in chick limb tendons. Dev Biol 247: 351–366. , , , , .
- 2000. Differential expression of lumican and fibromodulin regulate collagen fibrillogenesis in developing mouse tendons. J Cell Biol 151: 779–788. , , , , .
- 1989. The extracellular matrix architecture relating to myotendinous pattern formation in the distal part of the developing chick limb: an ultrastructural, histochemical and immunocytochemical analysis. Cell Differ Dev 27: 103–120. , , , , .
- 1990. Experimental analysis of the role of ECM in the patterning of the distal tendons of the developing limb bud. Cell Differ Dev 30: 97–108. , , , , , .
- 2000. The pro-alpha3(V) collagen chain. Complete primary structure, expression domains in adult and developing tissues, and comparison to the structures and expression domains of the other types V and XI procollagen chains. J Biol Chem 275: 8749–8759. , , .
- 1994. Transforming growth factor-beta stimulates alpha 2(I) collagen gene expression through a cis-acting element that contains an Sp1-binding site. J Biol Chem 269: 14828–14834. , , .
- 1998. Muscle and tendon morphogenesis in the avian hind limb. Development 125: 4019–4032. .
- 1979. Autonomy of tendon development in the embryonic chick wing. J Embryol Exp Morphol 49: 153–165. , .
- 1998. Novel arterial pathology in mice and humans hemizygous for elastin. J Clin Invest 102: 1783–1787. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Type III collagen is crucial for collagen I fibrillogenesis and for normal cardiovascular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 1852–1856. , , , , .
- 2002. Coordination of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis by fibroblast growth factor 18. Genes Dev 16: 859–869. , , , .
- 1984. Embryonic lethal mutation in mouse collagen I gene causes rupture of blood vessels and is associated with erythropoietic and mesenchymal cell death. Cell 38: 597–607. , , .
- 1999. The tenascin-C knockout revisited. J Cell Sci 112(Pt 22): 3847–3853. , .
- 1995. Multiple defects and perinatal death in mice deficient in follistatin. Nature 374: 360–363. , , , , , .
- 1998. Morphogenesis of digits in the avian limb is controlled by FGFs, TGFbetas, and noggin through BMP signaling. Dev Biol 200: 35–45. , , , , , .
- 1998. An Fgf8 mutant allelic series generated by Cre- and Flp-mediated recombination. Nat Genet 18: 136–141. , , .
- 2001. GDF-5 deficiency in mice alters the ultrastructure, mechanical properties and composition of the Achilles tendon. J Orthop Res 19: 365–371. , , , , .
- 1995. Coordinate patterns of expression of type I and III collagens during mouse development. Matrix Biol 14: 705–713. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of fibromodulin mRNA associated with tendon fibril growth: isolation and characterization of a chicken fibromodulin cDNA. Biochem J 317(Pt 3): 785–789. , .
- 1998. Differential expression of genes associated with collagen fibril growth in the chicken tendon: identification of structural and regulatory genes by subtractive hybridization. Arch Biochem Biophys 350: 1–9. , .
- 1993. Tissue-specific expression of type XII collagen during mouse embryonic development. Dev Dyn 196: 37–46. , , , .
- 2002. FGF18 is required for normal cell proliferation and differentiation during osteogenesis and chondrogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 870–879. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Involvement of fibroblast growth factor (FGF)18-FGF8 signaling in specification of left-right asymmetry and brain and limb development of the chick embryo. Mech Dev 95: 55–66. , , , .
- 1995. Homeobox genes and connective tissue patterning. Development 121: 693–705. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Two myogenic lineages within the developing somite. Development 114: 339–353. , .
- 1996. Expression and regulation of Cek-8, a cell to cell signalling receptor in developing chick limb buds. Development 122: 1147–1155. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Expression of transforming growth factor beta 2 RNA during murine embryogenesis. Development 106: 759–767. , , , .
- 1999. Pathogenetic sequence for aneurysm revealed in mice underexpressing fibrillin-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 3819–3823. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Fibrillin-1 and fibulin-2 interact and are colocalized in some tissues. J Biol Chem 271: 19489–19496. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Immunohistological and ultrastructural study of the developing tendons of the avian foot. Anat Embryol (Berl) 192: 483–496. , , , .
- 1995. Separate cis-acting DNA elements of the mouse pro-alpha 1(I) collagen promoter direct expression of reporter genes to different type I collagen-producing cells in transgenic mice. J Cell Biol 129: 1421–1432. , , .
- 1988. A nuclear factor 1 binding site mediates the transcriptional activation of a type I collagen promoter by transforming growth factor-beta. Cell 52: 405–414. , , , , , .
- 1990. The formation of premuscle masses during chick wing bud development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 182: 235–247. , .
- 2001. Analysis of the tendon cell fate using Scleraxis, a specific marker for tendons and ligaments. Development 128: 3855–3866. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Multiple joint and skeletal patterning defects caused by single and double mutations in the mouse Gdf6 and Gdf5 genes. Dev Biol 254: 116–130. , , , , , .
- 1980. Has collagen a role in muscle pattern formation in the developing chick wing? 1. An immunofluorescence study. J Embryol Exp Morphol 60: 245–254. , , , .
- 1985. Effects of serum, fibroblast growth factor, and platelet-derived growth factor on explants of rat tail tendon: a morphological study. Acta Anat (Basel) 123: 247–252. .
- 1994. Limb alterations in brachypodism mice due to mutations in a new member of the TGF beta-superfamily. Nature 368: 639–643. , , , , , .
- 1999. Fibromodulin-null mice have abnormal collagen fibrils, tissue organization, and altered lumican deposition in tendon. J Biol Chem 274: 9636–9647. , , , , , .
- 1998. DeltaEF1, a zinc finger and homeodomain transcription factor, is required for skeleton patterning in multiple lineages. Development 125: 21–31. , , , .
- 2003. Tendon healing in vitro: promotion of collagen gene expression by bFGF with NF-kappaB gene activation. J Hand Surg [Am] 28: 215–220. , , , .
- 2001. delta Ef1 binds to a far upstream sequence of the mouse pro-alpha 1(I) collagen gene and represses its expression in osteoblasts. J Biol Chem 276: 37011–37019. , , , , .
- 2002. A combination of cis-acting elements is required to activate the pro-alpha 1(I) collagen promoter in tendon fibroblasts of transgenic mice. J Biol Chem 277: 19019–19026. , , , .
- 2001. Teneurin-2 is expressed in tissues that regulate limb and somite pattern formation and is induced in vitro and in situ by FGF8. Dev Dyn 220: 27–39. , , , , , .
- 2003. Zfhx1a and Zfhx1b mRNAs have non-overlapping expression domains during chick and mouse midgestation limb development. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 39–42. , , , , .
- 1999. Singling out Drosophila tendon cells: a dialogue between two distinct cell types. Trends Genet 15: 448–453. .
- 1998. Characterization of collagens and proteoglycans at the insertion of the human Achilles tendon. Matrix Biol 16: 457–470. , , , , .
- 1994. Tissue-specific expression of the fibril-associated collagens XII and XIV. J Cell Sci 107(Pt 2): 669–681. , , , , .
- 1988. Purification and characterization of other distinct bone-inducing factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85: 9484–9488. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Association of type VI collagen with D-periodic collagen fibrils in developing tail tendons of mice. Arch Histol Cytol 60: 427–434. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Bone morphogenetic protein-4 is required for mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouse. Genes Dev 9: 2105–2116. , , , .
- 1997. Ectopic induction of tendon and ligament in rats by growth and differentiation factors 5, 6, and 7, members of the TGF-beta gene family. J Clin Invest 100: 321–330. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mouse Eya genes are expressed during limb tendon development and encode a transcriptional activation function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 11974–11979. , , , .
- 1999. Eya1-deficient mice lack ears and kidneys and show abnormal apoptosis of organ primordia. Nat Genet 23: 113–117. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cell movement patterns during gastrulation in the chick are controlled by positive and negative chemotaxis mediated by FGF4 and FGF8. Dev Cell 3: 425–437. , , , .
- 2000. Expression of type XIV collagen in developing chicken tendons: association with assembly and growth of collagen fibrils. Dev Dyn 217: 430–439. , , .
- 2003. Differential expression of type XII collagen in developing chicken metatarsal tendons. J Anat 202: 411–420. , , .