Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression analysis of chick Wnt and frizzled genes and selected inhibitors in early chick patterning
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Chick as a Model System
Volume 229, Issue 3, pages 668–676, March 2004
How to Cite
Chapman, S. C., Brown, R., Lees, L., Schoenwolf, G. C. and Lumsden, A. (2004), Expression analysis of chick Wnt and frizzled genes and selected inhibitors in early chick patterning. Dev. Dyn., 229: 668–676. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.10491
- Issue published online: 20 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 22 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2003
- Wellcome Trust
- NIH. Grant Number: DC04185
- 2001. Novel mechanism of Wnt signalling inhibition mediated by Dickkopf-1 interaction with LRP6/Arrow. Nat Cell Biol 3: 683–686. , , , , .
- 1994. Ectopic induction and reorganization of Wnt-1 expression in quail/chick chimeras. Development 120: 3379–3394. , .
- 2000. The dynamic expression pattern of frzb-1 suggests multiple roles in chick development. Dev Biol 217: 25–41. , , , , .
- 1997. Isolation of two novel WNT genes, WNT14 and WNT15, one of which (WNT15) is closely linked to WNT3 on human chromosome 17q21. Genomics 46: 450–458. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The hypoblast of the chick embryo positions the primitive streak by antagonizing nodal signaling. Dev Cell 3: 735–744. , .
- 1996. Cerberus is a head inducing secreted factor expressed in the anterior endoderm of Spemann's organiser. Nature 382: 595–601. , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of spatial and temporal gene expression patterns in blastula and gastrula stage chick embryos. Dev Biol 245: 187–199. , , , .
- 2003. Anterior identity is established in chick epiblast by hypoblast and anterior definitive endoderm. Development 130: 5091–5101. , , , .
- 1999. Timing and cell interactions underlying neural induction in the chick embryo. Development 126: 2505–2514. , , .
- 2002. Kremen proteins interact with Dickkopf1 to regulate anteroposterior CNS patterning. Development 129: 5587–5596. , , , .
- 1993. Wnt-5a and Wnt-7a are expressed in the developing chick limb bud in a manner suggesting roles in pattern formation along the proximodistal and dorsoventral axes. Mech Dev 43: 175–186. , , , , .
- 2000. Early and dynamic expression of cSfrp1 during chick embryo development. Mech Dev 97: 217–221. , , .
- 1976. From cleavage to primitive streak formation: a complementary normal table and a new look at the first stages of the development of the chick. Developmental Biology 49: 321–337. , .
- 1997. Head induction by simultaneous repression of Bmp and Wnt signalling in Xenopus. Nature 389: 517–519. , , , , .
- 1998. Dickkopf-1 is a member of a new family of secreted proteins and functions in head induction. Nature 391: 357–362. , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2000. Dual roles of Wnt signaling during chondrogenesis in the chicken limb. Development 127: 3141–3159. , .
- 1995. Wnt expression patterns in chick embryo nervous system. Mech Dev 52: 9–25. , , .
- 2002. Establishment of the telencephalon during gastrulation by local antagonism of Wnt signaling. Neuron 35: 255–265. , , , , , .
- 1993. Cwnt-8C: a novel Wnt gene with a potential role in primitive streak formation and hindbrain organization. Development 119: 1147–1160. , .
- 2002. Secreted Frizzled-related proteins: searching for relationships and patterns. Bioessays 24: 811–820. , .
- 1999. Analysis of chicken Wnt-13 expression demonstrates coincidence with cell division in the developing eye and is consistent with a role in induction. Dev Dyn 215: 215–224. , , .
- 2001. Formation and maintenance of the organizer among the vertebrates. Int J Dev Biol 45: 165–175. , .
- 2000. Identification of chick frizzled-10 expressed in the developing limb and the central nervous system. Mech Dev 91: 375–378. , , , , , .
- 1995. Zebrafish wnt8 and wnt8b share a common activity but are involved in distinct developmental pathways. Development 121: 1787–1799. , , , .
- 1997. Expression of Wnt and Frizzled genes during chick limb bud development. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 62: 421–429. , , .
- 2001. A morphogen gradient of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling regulates anteroposterior neural patterning in Xenopus. Development 128: 4189–4201. , .
- 2001. Wnt receptors and Wnt inhibitors are expressed in gradients in the developing telencephalon. Mech Dev 103: 167–172. , , .
- 2000. Cloning and expression of the Wnt antagonists Sfrp-2 and Frzb during chick development. Dev Biol 218: 183–198. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Six3 repression of Wnt signaling in the anterior neuroectoderm is essential for vertebrate forebrain development. Genes Dev 17: 368–379. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Frzb-1 is a secreted antagonist of Wnt signaling expressed in the Spemann organizer. Cell 88: 747–756. , , , , .
- 2001. LDL-receptor-related protein 6 is a receptor for Dickkopf proteins. Nature 411: 321–325. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Kremen proteins are Dickkopf receptors that regulate Wnt/beta-catenin signalling. Nature 417: 664–667. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Inhibition of Wnt activity induces heart formation from posterior mesoderm. Genes Dev 15: 316–327. , , , , .
- 2001. Dickkopf1 is required for embryonic head induction and limb morphogenesis in the mouse. Dev Cell 1: 423–434. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Progressive induction of caudal neural character by graded Wnt signaling. Nat Neurosci 5: 525–532. , , .
- 2000. A direct screen for secreted proteins in xenopus embryos identifies distinct activities for the wnt antagonists crescent and frzb-1. Mech Dev 96: 183–195. , .
- 1997. Crescent, a novel chick gene encoding a Frizzled-like Cysteine-Rich Domain, is expressed in anterior regions during early embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 41: 449–458. , , .
- 1999. The head inducer Cerberus is a multifunctional antagonist of Nodal, BMP and Wnt signals. Nature 397: 707–710. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A family of secreted proteins contains homology to the cysteine-rich ligand-binding domain of frizzled receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 2859–2863. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Wnt6 marks sites of epithelial transformations in the chick embryo. Mech Dev 114: 143–148. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Head inducer Dickkopf-1 is a ligand for Wnt coreceptor LRP6. Curr Biol 11: 951–961. , , , , , .
- 2001. Interactions between Wnt and Vg1 signalling pathways initiate primitive streak formation in the chick embryo. Development 128: 2915–2927. , .
- 2000a. Characterization of avian frizzled genes in cranial placode development. Mech Dev 93: 195–200. , , , .
- 2000b. Frizzled-4 expression during chick kidney development. Mech Dev 98: 121–125. , , , , , .
- 2003. Chibby, a nuclear beta-catenin-associated antagonist of the Wnt/Wingless pathway. Nature 422: 905–909. , , , , , .
- 1995. Cloning and characterization of Wnt-4 and Wnt-11 cDNAs from chick embryo. DNA Seq 5: 277–281. , , , , .
- 2000. Sfrp-1 and sfrp-2 are expressed in overlapping and distinct domains during chick development. Mech Dev 97: 177–182. , , , .
- 2003. You Wnt some, you lose some: oncogenes in the Wnt signaling pathway. Curr Opin Genet Dev 13: 28–33. , , .
- 1997. Frzb, a secreted protein expressed in the Spemann organizer, binds and inhibits Wnt-8. Cell 88: 757–766. , , , ,
- 1999. Cerberus regulates left-right asymmetry of the embryonic head and heart. Curr Biol 9: 931–938. , , , , , , .