Sodium-calcium exchanger (NCX-1) and calcium modulation: NCX protein expression patterns and regulation of early heart development
Article first published online: 25 APR 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 221, Issue 3, pages 249–264, 1 July 2001
How to Cite
Linask, K. K., Han, M.-D., Artman, M. and Ludwig, C. A. (2001), Sodium-calcium exchanger (NCX-1) and calcium modulation: NCX protein expression patterns and regulation of early heart development. Dev. Dyn., 221: 249–264. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1131
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2001
- Article first published online: 25 APR 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2000
- UMDNJ Foundation
- Established Investigator Grant from the American Heart Association
- UMDNJ Foundation
- 1995. Na+-Ca2+ exchange current density in cardiac myocytes from rabbits and guinea pigs during postnatal development. Am J Physiol 268: H1714–H1722. , , , .
- 1999. Sodium/calcium exchange: its physiological implications. Physiol Rev 79: 763–854. , .
- 1994. Steady-state mRNA levels of the sarcolemmal Na+-Ca2+ exchanger peak near birth in developing rabbit and rat hearts. Circ Res 74: 354–359. , , .
- 2000. Presence and roles of calcium gradients along the dorsal-ventral axis in Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol 217: 375–385. , , .
- 1998. Spontaneous activity regulates Ca-dependent K current expression in developing ascidian muscle. J Physiol 511: 683–693. , , .
- 1993. Primitive-streak origin of the cardiovascular system in avian embryos. Dev Biol 159: 706–719. , .
- 1999. Correlation between protein and mRNA abundance in yeast. Mol Cell Biol 19: 1720–1730. , , , .
- 1997. Na+/Ca2+ exchange current and contractions meqasured under Cl-fee conditions in developing rabbit hearts. Am J Physiol 273: H837–846. , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1992. Expression of sarcomeric myosin in the presumptive myocardium of chicken embryos occurs within six hours of myocyte commitment. Dev Dyn 193: 257–265. , , , , .
- 1999. Cloning and characterization of a potassium-dependent sodium/calcium exchanger in Drosophila. J Cell Biol 147: 659–669. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Initial myofibrillogenesis in precardiac mesoderm cultures. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 39: 52–62. , , .
- 1988. Features of embryonic induction. Development 104: 341–359. , .
- 1980. Cation transport and specificity of ionomycin. J Biol Chem 255: 2735–2739. , , .
- 1999. Direction-independent block of bi-directional Na+/Ca2+ exchange current by KB-R7943 in guinea-pig cardiac myocytes. Br J Pharmacol 128: 969–974. , , , , .
- 1998. Expressional analysis of the cardiac NaCa exchanger in rat development and senescence. Cardiovasc Res 37: 405–423. , , , , .
- 1997. Development of mechanisms regulating intracellular Ca2+ concentration in cardiac muscle cells of early chick embryos. Dev Biol 186: 177–184. , .
- 1999. Sodium-calcium exchanger is initially expressed in a heart-restricted pattern within the early mouse embryo. Mech Dev 88: 119–122. , , .
- 2001. Targeted inactivation of the sodium-calcium exchanger (Ncx1) results in the lack of a heartbeat and abnormal myofibrillar organization. FASEB J (in press). , , , , , , .
- 1998. Gap junctions are involved in the early generation of left-right asymmetry. Dev Biol 203: 90–105. , .
- 1999. Gap junction-mediated transfer of left-right patterning signals in the early chick blastoderm is upstream of Shh asymmetry in the node. Development 126: 4703–4714. , .
- 1992. FGF inactivates myogenic helix-loop-helix proteins through phosphorylation of a conserved protein kinase C site in their DNA-binding domains. Cell 71: 1181–1194. , , , , , , .
- 1992. N-cadherin localization in early heart development and polar expression of Na, K-ATPase and integrin during pericardial coelom formation and epithelialization of the differentiating myocardium. Dev Biol 151: 213–224. .
- 1995. Inhibitory effects of ouabain on early heart development and cardiomyogenesis in the chick embryo. Dev Dyn 203: 93–105. , .
- 1988. A role for fibronectin in the migration of avian precardiac cells. II. Rotation of the heart-forming region during different stages and its effects. Dev Biol 129: 324–329. , .
- 1997. N-Cadherin-Catenin Interaction: Necessary component of cardiac cell compartmentalization during early vertebrate heart development. Dev Biol 185: 148–164. , , .
- 1991. Regulation of the a-subunit genes of the NaK-ATPase and determinants of cardiac glycoside sensitivity. In: deWeerP, KaplanJH, editors. The sodium pump: structure, mechanism and regulation. New York: The Rockefeller University Press. p 1–16. , , , .
- 1995. Electrical activity and calcium influx regulate ion channel development in embryonic Xenopus skeletal muscle. J Neurosci 15: 4507–4514. , .
- 2000. Endoderm and heart development. Dev Dyn 217: 327–342. , .
- 1998. A calcineurin-dependent transcriptional pathway for cardiac hypertrophy. Cell 93: 215–228. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A new topological model of the cadiac sarcolemmal Na+ -Ca2+ exchanger. J Biol Chem 274: 910–917. , , , , .
- 1997. Tissue specificity and alternative splicing of the Na+/Ca2+ exchanger isoforms NCX1, NCX2 and NCX3 in rat. Am K Physiol 272: C1250–C1261. , , .
- 1943. The heart-forming areas of the early chick blastoderm. Physiol Zool 16: 22–44. .
- 1998. Analysis of Hox gene expression during early avian heart development. Dev Dyn 213: 82–91. , .
- 1998. Differential expression of flectin in the extracellular matrix and left-right asymmetry in mouse embryonic heart during looping stages. Dev Genet 23: 203–214. , , .
- 1986. Sarcolemmal Na-Ca exchange and sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium uptake in developing chick heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol 18: 1267–1275. , .
- 2000. Targeted disruption of Na+/Ca++ exchanger gene leads to cardiomyocyte apoptosis and defects in heartbeat. J Biol Chem 275: 36991–36998. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. A novel antagonist, No. 7943 of the Na+/Ca2+ exchange current in guinea-pig cardiac ventricular cells. Br J Pharmacol 119: 555–563. , , , .
- 1999. Effect of Na+/Ca2+ exchange inhibitor, KB-R7943 on ouabain-induced arrhythmias in guinea-pigs. Br J Pharmacol 127: 1846–1850. , , , .