Becoming glial in the neural retina
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 221, Issue 2, pages 146–153, June 2001
How to Cite
Vetter, M. L. and Moore, K. B. (2001), Becoming glial in the neural retina. Dev. Dyn., 221: 146–153. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1145
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2001
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 23 JAN 2001
- The National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: EY12274, EY10096
- Pew Scholars Program in the Biomedical Sciences sponsored by the Pew Charitable Trusts
- 1999. Notch signaling: cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science 284: 770–776. , , .
- 1997. The expression and function of Notch pathway genes in the developing rat eye. J Neurosci 17: 1425–1434. , .
- 1998. Math5 encodes a murine basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed during early stages of retinal neurogenesis. Development 125: 4821–4833. , , , , , .
- 1999. Loss of p27Kip1 function results in increased proliferative capacity of oligodendrocyte progenitors but unaltered timing of differentiation. Development 126: 4027–4037. , , , , , .
- 1999. The roles of intrinsic and extrinsic cues and bHLH genes in the determination of retinal cell fates. Curr Opin Neurobiol 9: 37–46. .
- 1996. Cell fate determination in the vertebrate retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 589–595. , , , , .
- 1995. Primary neurogenesis in Xenopus embryos regulated by a homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Delta [see comments]. Nature 375: 761–766. , , , , .
- 1997. Conservation of the Notch signalling pathway in mammalian neurogenesis. Development 124: 1139–1148. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of neuronal diversity in the Xenopus retina by Delta signalling. Nature 385: 67–70. , , , .
- 1995. Xotch inhibits cell differentiation in the Xenopus retina. Neuron 14: 487–496. , , .
- 2000. Control of Muller glial cell proliferation and activation following retinal injury. Nat Neurosci 3: 873–880. , .
- 2000. rax, Hes1, and notch1 promote the formation of Muller glia by postnatal retinal progenitor cells. Neuron 26: 383–394. , , , , .
- 2000. Radial glial identity is promoted by Notch1 signaling in the murine forebrain. Neuron 26: 395–404. , , .
- 1997. Cellular diversification in the vertebrate retina. Curr Opin Genet Dev 7: 651–658. .
- 2000. Glial cell fate specification modulated by the bHLH gene Hes5 in mouse retina. Development 127: 2515–2522. , , , , , .
- 1995. Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defects. Genes Dev 9: 3136–3148. , , , , , .
- 1994. Persistent expression of helix-loop-helix factor HES-1 prevents mammalian neural differentiation in the central nervous system. Embo J 13: 1799–1805. , , , , , .
- 1997. Xath5 participates in a network of bHLH genes in the developing Xenopus retina [published erratum appears in Neuron 1998 Nov; 21(5): following 1221]. Neuron 19: 981–994. , , , , , , .
- 2000. p27(Kip1) regulates cell cycle withdrawal of late multipotent progenitor cells in the mammalian retina. Dev Biol 219: 299–314. , , , , .
- 1995. Changes in retinal cell fate induced by overexpression of EGF receptor. Nature 377: 158–162. .
- 1998. Changes in epidermal growth factor receptor expression and competence to generate glia regulate timing and choice of differentiation in the retina. Mol Cell Neurosci 10: 296–308. , .
- 2000. Notch signalling: you make me feel so glial. Curr Biol 10: R595–R597. .
- 1998. Human deltex is a conserved regulator of Notch signalling. Nat Genet 19: 74–78. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Transient Notch activation initiates an irreversible switch from neurogenesis to gliogenesis by neural crest stem cells. Cell 101: 499–510. , , , , , , .
- 1999. NeuroD regulates multiple functions in the developing neural retina in rodent. Development 126: 23–36. , , , .
- 1996. Mice lacking p27Kip1display increased body size, multiple organ hyperplasia, retinal dysplasia, and pituitary tumors. Cell 85: 707–720. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Cip/Kip cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors: brakes of the cell cycle engine during development. BioEssays 20: 1020–1029. , .
- 2001. Neuronal bHLH genes control the neuronal versus glial fate decision in cortical progenitors. Neuron 29: 401–413. , , , .
- 1998. Structure, chromosomal locus, and promoter of mouse Hes2 gene, a homologue of Drosophila hairy and Enhancer of split. Genomics 49: 69–75. , , , , , , .
- 1994. An activated Notch suppresses neurogenesis and myogenesis but not gliogenesis in mammalian cells. Development 120: 2421–2430. , , .
- 1999. p27Xic1, a Cdk inhibitor, promotes the determination of glial cells in Xenopus retina. Cell 99: 499–510. , , , , .
- 1999. Hes1 and Hes5 as notch effectors in mammalian neuronal differentiation. Embo J 18: 2196–2207. , , , , , .
- 1998. The genetic sequence of retinal development in the ciliary margin of the Xenopus eye. Dev Biol 199: 185–200. , , , .
- 1992. Two mammalian helix-loop-helix factors structurally related to Drosophila hairy and Enhancer of split. Genes Dev 6: 2620–2634. , , , , .
- 2001. The basic helix-loop-helix hene hesr2 promotes gliogenesis in mouse retina. J Neurosci 21: 1265–1273. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. CDK inhibitors: positive and negative regulators of G1-phase progression. Genes Dev 13: 1501–1512. , .
- 1995. Cloning and characterization of the Xenopus cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27Xic1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 10187–10191. , , , .
- 2001. Neurogenin promotes neurogenesis and inhibits glial differentiation by independent mechanisms. Cell 104: 365–376. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Notch1 and Notch3 instructively restrict bFGF-responsive multipotent neural progenitor cells to an astroglial fate. Neuron 29: 45–55. , , , , , .
- 1996. Mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog 1 regulates differentiation of retinal neurons and is essential for eye morphogenesis. Neuron 16: 723–734. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mash1 promotes neuronal differentiation in the retina. Genes Cells 1: 765–774. , , , .
- 1987. A common progenitor for neurons and glia persists in rat retina late in development. Nature 328: 131–136. , .
- 1999. Competence and commitment of Caenorhabditis elegans vulval precursor cells. Dev Biol 212: 12–24. , .
- 2000. Up a notch: instructing gliogenesis. Neuron 27: 197–200. , .