M. Ryten and A. Hoebertz contributed equally to the work presented in this study.
Sequential expression of three receptor subtypes for extracellular ATP in developing rat skeletal muscle
Article first published online: 25 MAY 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 221, Issue 3, pages 331–341, 1 July 2001
How to Cite
Ryten, M., Hoebertz, A. and Burnstock, G. (2001), Sequential expression of three receptor subtypes for extracellular ATP in developing rat skeletal muscle. Dev. Dyn., 221: 331–341. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1147
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2001
- Article first published online: 25 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 7 NOV 2000
- University College Medical School
- Arthritis Research Campaign
- 1998. Purinergic signalling: pathophysiological roles. Jpn J Pharmacol 78: 113–145. , .
- 1998. Release of ATP by osteoblasts: modulation by fluid shear forces. Bone 22: 3S. , , , , , .
- 1997. The past, present and future of purine nucleotides as signalling molecules. Neuropharmacology 36: 1127–1139. .
- 1997. Tissue distribution of the P2X7 receptor. Neuropharmacology 36: 1277–1283. , , , , , .
- 1999. P2Z/P2X7 receptor-dependent apoptosis of dendritic cells. Am J Physiol 276: C1139–C1147. , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Development of neuromuscular junctions in rat embryos. Dev Biol 81: 266–279. , , .
- 1962. A study of foetal and new-born rat muscle fibres. J Physiol (Lond) 162: 393–408. , .
- 1989. Cellular insertion of primary myotubes and secondary myotubes in embryonic rat muscles. Development 107: 243–251. , .
- 1989. The origin of secondary myotubes in mammalian skeletal muscles: ultrastructural studies. Development 107: 743–750. , , .
- 1999. P2Z purinoreceptor ligation induces activation of caspases with distinct roles in apoptotic and necrotic alterations of cell death. FEBS Lett 447: 71–75. , , , , , .
- 1995. Regulatory role of ATP at developing neuromuscular junctions. Prog Neurobiol 47: 31–44. .
- 1991. ATP potentiates spontaneous transmitter release at developing neuromuscular synapses. Neuron 6: 837–843. , .
- 1999. Localisation of P2X5 and P2X7 receptors by immunohistochemistry in rat stratified squamous epithelia. Cell Tissue Res 296: 599–605. , , , .
- 1981. Embryonic growth and innervation of rat skeletal muscles: I. Neural regulation of muscle fibre numbers. Philos TransR Soc Lond B Biol Sci 293: 257–277. .
- 1997. Purinoceptors in neuromuscular transmission. Pharmacol Ther 74: 115–128. .
- 1993. Characterization of P2-purinoceptor mediated cyclic AMP formation in mouse C2C12 myotubes. Br J Pharmacol 110: 133–138. , , , .
- 1986. Excitatory action of ATP on embryonic chick muscle. J Neurosci 6: 681–690. , .
- 1988. Multiple actions of adenosine 5'-triphosphate on chick skeletal muscle. J Physiol Lond 406: 503–524. , .
- 1969. The histogenesis of rat intercostal muscle. J Cell Biol 42: 135–153. , .
- 2000. Coexpression of rat P2X2 and P2X6 subunits in Xenopus Oocytes. J Neurosci 20: 4871–4877. , , , , , .
- 1983. Transmitter-like action of ATP on patched membranes of cultured myoblasts and myotubes. Nature 303: 621–623. , .
- 1975. The development of functional innervation in the hind limb of the chick embryo. J Physiol (Lond) 249: 301–326. , .
- 1998. Central P2X4 and P2X6 channel subunits coassemble into a novel heteromeric ATP receptor. J Neurosci 18: 7152–7159. , , .
- 1995. Coexpression of P2X2 and P2X3 receptor subunits can account for ATP-gated currents in sensory neurons. Nature 377: 432–435. , , , , , .
- 1992. Ultrastructural localization of nitric oxide synthase immunoreactivity in guinea-pig enteric neurons. Brain Res 577: 337–342. , , , , .
- 1993. The tungstate-stabilized tetramethylbenzidine reaction for light and electron microscopic immunocytochemistry and for revealing biocytin-filled neurons. J Neurosci Methods 46: 27–40. , , .
- 1999. Regulated ATP release by cultured human articular chondrocytes. Calcif Tissue Int 64: S58. , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of two ATP-gated ion channels, P2X5 and P2X6, in developing chick skeletal muscle. Dev Dyn 216: 442–449. , , , .
- 1996. Trophic actions of extracellular nucleotides and nucleosides on glial and neuronal cells. Trends Neurosci 19: 13–18. , , , , .
- 1999. Subunit specificity of polyclonal antisera to the carboxy terminal regions of P2X receptors, P2X1 through P2X7. Drug Dev Res 47: 189–195. , , , .
- 1984. Organogenesis of the mouse extensor digitorum longus muscle: a quantitative study. Am J Anat 171: 149–161. , .
- 1998. Receptors for purines and pyrimidines. Pharmacol Rev 50: 413–492. , .
- 1987. Formation of primary and secondary myotubes in rat lumbrical muscles. Development 100: 383–394. , , .
- 1999. Development of the vertebrate neuromuscular junction. Annu Rev Neurosci 22: 389–442. , .
- 1973. Release of ATP from rat motor nerve terminals. Nature 243: 404–405. , .
- 1996. The cytolytic P2Z receptor for extracellular ATP identified as a P2X receptor (P2X7). Science 272: 735–738. , , , , .
- 1990a. Permeation of both cations and anions through a single class of ATP-activated ion channels in developing chick skeletal muscle. J Gen Physiol 95: 569–590. , .
- 1990b. Irreversible desensitization of ATP responses in developing chick skeletal muscle. J Physiol (Lond) 430: 373–388. , .
- 1993. Single potassium channel currents activated by extracellular ATP in developing chick skeletal muscle: a role for second messengers. J Neurophysiol 69: 1556–1566. , .
- 1991. A receptor that is highly specific for extracellular ATP in developing chick skeletal muscle in vitro. Br J Pharmacol 103: 1963–1969. , , , .
- 1998. Co-expression of P2X1 and P2X5 receptor subunits reveals a novel ATP-gated ion channel. Mol Pharmacol 54: 989–993. , , , .
- 1999. Identification of a domain involved in ATP-gated ionotropic receptor subunit assembly. J Biol Chem 274: 22359–22365. , , .
- 1995. Encounter of motor nerves with muscle fibres. In: Nerve-muscle interaction. London: Chapman and Hall. p 36–41. , , .
- 1997. Immunohistochemical study of the P2X2 and P2X3 receptor subunits in rat and monkey sensory neurons and their central terminals. Neuropharmacology 36: 1229–1242. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Changes in responsiveness to extracellular ATP in chick skeletal muscle during development and upon denervation. Dev Biol 172: 585–590. , , .
- 1995. During secondary myotube formation, primary myotubes preferentially absorb new nuclei at their ends. Dev Dyn 204: 168–177. , .