Differential response of Shh expression between chick forelimb and hindlimb buds by FGF-4
Article first published online: 12 JUN 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 221, Issue 4, pages 402–411, 1 August 2001
How to Cite
Wada, N. and Nohno, T. (2001), Differential response of Shh expression between chick forelimb and hindlimb buds by FGF-4. Dev. Dyn., 221: 402–411. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1150
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2001
- Article first published online: 12 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 APR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 7 SEP 2000
- Narishige Zoological Science Award
- Nissan Science Foundation
- Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture. Grant Numbers: 11780539, 10680692, 11152234, 12026235
- Kawasaki Medical School. Grant Numbers: 11-101, 12-115, 12-211
- 1996. The ectodermal control in chick limb development: Wnt-7a, Shh, Bmp-2 and Bmp-4 expression and the effect of FGF-4 on gene expression. Mech Dev 60: 127–137 , , .
- 1999. Fgfr2 is required for limb outgrowth and lung-branching morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 11895–11899. , , , .
- 1994. Ectopic expression of Hoxb-8 causes duplication of the ZPA in the forelimb and homeotic transformation of axial structures. Cell 78: 589–601. , , , .
- 1995. Fibroblast growth factors induce additional limb development from the flank of chick embryos. Cell 80: 739–746 , , , , .
- 1996. Limbs: a model for pattern formation within the vertebrate body plan. Trends Genet 12: 253–257. , .
- 1996. Roles for FGF8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb development. Cell 84: 127–136. , , , .
- 2000. An important role for the IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127: 483–492. , , , , , .
- 1996. Activation of Fgf-4 and HoxD gene expression by BMP-2 expressing cells in the developing chick limb. Development 122: 1821–1828. , , , , .
- 1994. FGF-2: Apical ectodermal ridge growth signal for chick limb development. Science 264: 104–107. , , , , , .
- 1999. Limb development: Farewell to arms. Curr Biol 9: R368–R370. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1998. Characterization of recombinant human fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-10 reveals functional similarities with keratinocyte growth factor (FGF-7). J Biol Chem 273: 13230–13235. , , .
- 1996. BMP signaling during bone pattern determination in the developing limb. Development 122: 3557–3566. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997 Molecular models for vertebrate limb development. Cell 90: 979–990. , .
- 1994. Sonic hedgehog and Fgf-4 act through a signaling cascade and feedback loop to integrate growth and patterning of the developing limb bud. Cell 79: 993–1003. , , , , .
- 2000. Fgf8 signalling from the AER is essential for normal limb development. Nat Genet 26: 460–463. , , .
- 1996. FGF-2 influences cell movements and gene expression during limb development. J Exp Zool 274: 234–247. , , , .
- 1997. Retinoid signaling is required for establishment of a ZPA and for the expression of Hoxb-8, a mediator of ZPA formation. Development 124: 1643–1651. , , , , .
- 1998. The roles of FGFs in the early development of vertebrate limbs. Genes Dev 12: 1571–1586. .
- 2000. Fgf8 is required for outgrowth and patterning of the limbs. Nat Genet 26: 455–459. , .
- 2000. Normal limb development in conditional mutants of Fgf4. Development 127: 989–996. , , .
- 1999. Developmental biology: Legs to wings and back again. Nature 398: 751–752. .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 1991. Involvement of the Chox-4 chicken homeobox genes in determination of anteroposterior axial polarity during limb development. Cell 64: 1197–1205. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Involvement of the Sonic hedgehog gene in chick feather formation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 206: 33–39. , , , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of three chick FGF receptor genes, FGFR1, FGFR2, and FGFR3, in limb and feather development. Prog Clin Biol Res 383B: 645–654. , , , , , , .
- 1995. An additional limb can be induced from the flank of the chick embryo by FGF4. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 209: 809–816. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The mesenchymal factor, FGF10, initiates and maintains the outgrowth of the chick limb bud through interaction with FGF8, an apical ectodermal factor. Development 124: 2235–2244. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. J Biol Chem 271: 15292–15297. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Developmental expression of two murine fibroblast growth factor receptors, flg and bek. Development 113: 1419–1434. , , , , .
- 1992. Two FGF receptor genes are differentially expressed in epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during limb formation and organogenesis in the mouse. Development 114: 233–243 , , , .
- 1997. Polydactyly and ectopic ZPA formation in Alx-4 mutant mice. Development 124: 3999–4008. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Retroviral expression of FGF-2 (bFGF) affects patterning in chick limb bud. Development 118: 95–104. , , , . .
- 1994. Recombinant limbs as a model to study homeobox gene regulation during limb development. Dev Biol 166: 59–72. , , , .
- 1997. Hoxb-8 has a role in establishing early anterior-posterior polarity in chick forelimb but not hindlimb. Development 124: 4225–4234. , , .
- 2000. Conditional inactivation of Fgf4 reveals complexity of signalling during limb bud development. Nat Genet 25: 83–86. , , , , , .
- 1995. Changes in the expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors mark distinct stages of chondrogenesis in vitro and during chick limb skeletal patterning. Dev Dyn 204: 446–456. , , , .
- 1998. The role of Alx-4 in the establishment of anteroposterior polarity during vertebrate limb development. Development 125: 4417–4425. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Distribution of polarizing activity and potential for limb formation in mouse and chick embryos and possible relationships to polydactyly. Development 127: 4011–4021. , , , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of FGF-8 in initiation, outgrowth and patterning of the vertebrate limb. Development 122: 1737–1750. , , .
- 1999. Antagonists go out on a limb. Cell 99: 563–566. , .
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog signaling during digit pattern duplication after application of recombinant protein and expressing cells. Dev Growth Differ 41: 567–574. , , .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2)-mediated reciprocal regulation loop between FGF8 and FGF10 is essential for limb induction. Development 125: 753–765. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Interaction between the signaling molecules WNT7A and SHH during vertebrate limb development: dorsal signals regulate anteroposterior patterning. Cell 80: 939–947. , .
- 1997. Relationship between dose, distance and time in Sonic Hedgehog-mediated regulation of anteroposterior polarity in the chick limb. Development 124: 4393–4404. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. MRC-5 cells induce the AER prior to the duplicated pattern formation in chick limb bud. Dev Biol 170: 542–552. , , , .