Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during the development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats aged 0–21 days. II. Two proteinases, gelatinase B and collagenase-3, are implicated in the lysis of collagen fibrils
Article first published online: 13 JUL 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 222, Issue 1, pages 71–88, September 2001
How to Cite
Davoli, M. A., Lamplugh, L., Beauchemin, A., Chan, K., Mordier, S., Mort, J. S., Murphy, G., Docherty, A. J.P., Leblond, C. P. and Lee, E. R. (2001), Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during the development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats aged 0–21 days. II. Two proteinases, gelatinase B and collagenase-3, are implicated in the lysis of collagen fibrils. Dev. Dyn., 222: 71–88. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1160
- Issue published online: 7 AUG 2001
- Article first published online: 13 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 19 JAN 2001
- Shriners of North America. Grant Number: 8530
- 1961. The histochemical demonstration of protease by a gelatin-silver film substrate. Nature 189: 469–472. , .
- 1996. Combination therapy including a gelatinase inhibitor and cytotoxic agent reduces local invasion and metastasis of murine Lewis lung carcinoma. Cancer Res 56: 715–718. , , , .
- 2000. Mammalian skeletogenesis and extracellular matrix: what can we learn from knockout mice? Cell Struct Funct 25: 73–84. , , , , .
- 1999. The specificity of TIMP-2 for matrix metalloproteinases can be modified by single amino acid mutations. J Biol Chem 274: 20391–20396. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in cartilage neovascularization and chondrocyte differentiation: auto-paracrine role during endochondral bone formation. J Cell Sci 113: 59–69. , , , .
- 1989. Are perivascular cells in cartilage canals chondrocytes? J Anat 165: 1–8 , .
- 1985. Perivascular cells in cartilage canals of the developing mouse epiphysis. Am J Anat 174: 119–129 , .
- 1987a. Cytochemical localization of tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase, alkaline phosphatase, and nonspecific esterase in perivascular cells of cartilage canals in the developing mouse epiphysis. Am J Anat 180: 237–242 , .
- 1987b. Morphometric analysis of cartilage canals in the developing mouse epiphysis. Acta Anat 128: 93–97 , .
- 1965. Histochemical localization of enzyme activities by substrate film methods: ribonucleases, deoxyribonucleases, proteases, amylase and hyaluronidase. Int Rev Cytol 18: 191–221. .
- 1991a. Morphogenesis of cartilage canals: experimental approach in the rat tibia. Acta Anat 142: 132–137. , , , , .
- 1991b. Relationship between the cartilage canal and the perichondrium in the rat proximal tibial epiphysis. Acta Anat 141: 31–35. , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinase 9 and vascular endothelial growth factor are essential for osteoclast recruitment into developing long bones. J Cell Biol 151: 879–889. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Collagen structure and cartilage matrix integrity. J Rheumatol (Suppl) 21: 82–85. , .
- 1999. VEGF couples hypertrophic cartilage remodeling, ossification and angiogenesis during endochondral bone formation. Nat Med 5: 623–628. , , , , , .
- 1997. Developmental expression of perlecan during murine embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 210: 130–145. , , .
- 1972. An endopeptidase from rheumatoid synovial tissue culture. Biochim Biophys Acta 258: 566–576. , .
- 1990. Human neutrophil collagenase: a distinct gene product with homology to other matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem 265: 11421–11424. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Purification and characterization of human 72kDa gelatinase (type IV collagenase). Biol Chem Hoppe-Seyler 372: 287–296. , , , , .
- 1999. MT1-MMP-deficient mice develop dwarfism, osteopenia, arthritis, and connective tissue disease due to inadequate collagen turnover. Cell 99: 81–92. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Biochemical characterization of human collagenase-3. J Biol Chem 271: 1544–1550. , , , , .
- 1998. Immunolocalization of the cleavage of the aggrecan core protein at the Asn341-Phe342 bond, as an indicator of the location of the metalloproteinases active in the lysis of the rat growth plate. Anat Rec 252: 117–132. , , , , , .
- 1999. Active gelatinase B is identified by histozymography in the cartilage resorption sites of developing long bones. Dev Dyn 215: 190–205. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neoepitope antibodies and immunolocalization techniques reveal that active gelatinase B is involved in the lysis required for the development of the rat long bone epiphysis. J Bone Miner Res 15: S349. , , , , .
- 2001. Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats aged 0–21 days: I. Two groups of proteinases cleave the core protein of aggrecan. Dev Dyn (this issue). , , , , , , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases MMP2 and MMP9 are produced in early stages of kidney morphogenesis but only MMP9 is required for renal organogenesis in vitro. J Cell Biol 136: 1363–1373. , , , .
- 1964. The patterns of cartilage canals. J Anat 98: 515–538. .
- 1974. Periodate-lysine-paraformaldehyde fixative. A new fixative for immunoelectron microscopy. J Histochem Cytochem 22: 1077–1083. , .
- 1976. Cleavage of type II and III collagen with mammalian collagenase: site of cleavage and primary structure at the NH2-terminal portion of the smaller fragment released from both collagens. Biochemistry 15: 787–792. , , , , , .
- 1996. Cloning, expression, and type II collagenolytic activity of matrix metalloproteinase-13 from human osteoarthritic cartilage. J Clin Invest 97: 761–768. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Gelatinases A and B. Methods Enzymol 248: 470–484. , .
- 1997. Relating matrix metalloproteinase structure to function: Why the “Hemopexin” domain? Matrix Biol 15: 511–518. , .
- 1981. Metalloproteinases from rabbit bone culture medium degrades types IV and V collagens, laminin, and fibronectin. Biochem J 199: 807–811. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Partial purification of collagenase and gelatinase from human polymorphonuclear leucocytes. Analysis of their actions on soluble and insoluble collagens. Biochem J 203: 209–221. , , , .
- 1989. Characterization of gelatinase from pig polymorphonuclear leucocytes. Biochem J 258: 463–472. , , , , , .
- 1991a. Matrix metalloproteinase degradation of elastin, type IV collagen and proteoglycan. Biochem J 277: 277–279. , , , .
- 1991b. The N-terminal domain of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases retains metalloproteinase inhibitory activity. Biochemistry 30: 8097–8102. , , , , , .
- 1994. A 92 kDa gelatinase (MMP-9) cleavage site in native type V collagen. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 202: 328–333. , , , .
- 1997. Quantitative reverse zymography: analysis of picogram amounts of metalloproteinase inhibitors using gelatinase A and B reverse zymograms. Anal Biochem 244: 161–166. , , , .
- 1994. Characteristics of 92 kDa type IV collagenase/gelatinase produced by granulocytic leukemia cells: structure, expression of cDNA in E. coli and enzymatic properties. Biochim Biophys Acta 1204: 97–107. , , , .
- 1990. Rat collagenase. Cloning, amino acid sequence comparison, and parathyroid hormone regulation in osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem 265: 22342–22347. , , , , , .
- 1997. Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases (MT-MMPs) in cell invasion. Thromb Haemost 78: 497–500. , , .
- 1998. MMP-9/gelatinase B is a key regulator of growth plate angiogenesis and apoptosis of hypertrophic chondrocytes. Cell 93: 411–422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The activity of the tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases is regulated by C-terminal domain interactions: a kinetic analysis of the inhibition of gelatinase A. Biochemistry 32: 4330–4337. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Impaired endochondral ossification and angiogenesis in mice deficient in membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase I. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 4052–4057. , , , , , , , , .