Yanfeng Lin and Aiping Liu contributed equally to this work.
Induction of ureter branching as a response to Wnt-2b signaling during early kidney organogenesis
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 222, Issue 1, pages 26–39, September 2001
How to Cite
Lin, Y., Liu, A., Zhang, S., Ruusunen, T., Kreidberg, J. A., Peltoketo, H., Drummond, I. and Vainio, S. (2001), Induction of ureter branching as a response to Wnt-2b signaling during early kidney organogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 222: 26–39. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1164
- Issue online: 7 AUG 2001
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2000
- Academy of Finland
- Sigrid Jusélius Foundation
- Center for International Mobility
- NIH. Grant Numbers: DK53093, DK54711
- 1999. Mesenchymal to epithelial conversion in rat metanephros is induced by LIF. Cell 99: 377–386. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Wnt signaling: a common theme in animal development. Genes Dev 11: 3286–3305. , .
- 2000. Secreted molecules in metanephric induction. J Am Soc Nephrol 16: S116–119. , .
- 2001. FGF-10 disrupts lung morphogenesis and causes pulmonary adenomas in vivo. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 280: L705–715. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Collecting duct morphogenesis. Pediatr Nephrol 13: 535–541. , .
- 1995. Induction of early stages of kidney tubule differentiation by lithium ions. Dev Biol 167: 50–60. , .
- 1980. Induction of brush border antigens of the proximal tubule in the developing kidney. Dev Biol 74: 263–274. , , .
- 1990. Expression of multiple novel Wnt-1/int-1-related genes during fetal and adult mouse development. Genes Dev 4: 2319–2332. , , .
- 1955. Inductive interaction in the development of the mouse metanephros. J Exp Zool 130: 319–340. .
- 1998. The hem of the embryonic cerebral cortex is defined by the expression of multiple Wnt genes and is compromised in Gli3-deficient mice. Development 125: 2315–2325. , , , , .
- 1996. Essential role of stromal mesenchyme in kidney morphogenesis revealed by targeted disruption of Winged Helix transcription factor BF-2. Genes Dev 10: 1467–1478. , , , , .
- 1997. Wingless signaling generates pattern through two distinct mechanisms. Development 124: 3727–3736. , , .
- 1997. Activation of the Wnt signaling pathway: a molecular mechanism for lithium action. Dev Biol 185: 82–91. , , , , , .
- 1999. Morphogenesis. Cell 96: 225–233. .
- 1996. Cloning, expression and chromosomal localization of Wnt-13, a novel member of the Wnt gene family. Oncogene 15: 873–876. , , , .
- 2000. Alternative splicing of the WNT-2B/WNT-13 gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 275: 209–216. , , , , .
- 2001. WNT signals control FGF-dependent limb initiation and AER induction in the chick embryo. Cell 104: 891–900. , , , , , .
- 1996. Proteoglycans are required for maintenance of Wnt-11 expression in the ureter tips. Development 122: 3625–3637. , , , , .
- 1998. Wnt-4 is a mesenchymal signal for epithelial transformation of metanephric mesenchyme in the developing kidney. Development 125: 4225–4234. , , .
- 2000. Kidney morphogenesis: cellular and molecular regulation. Mech Dev 92: 31–45. , , .
- 1994. Vertebrate embryonic inductions. Bioessays 16: 617–620. , .
- 2001. Induced repatterning of type XVIII collagen expression in ureter bud from kidney to lung type: association with sonic hedgehog and ectopic surfactant protein C. Development. 128: 1573–85. , , , , , , , . .
- 1995. Distribution of Sonic hedgehog peptides in the developing chick and mouse embryo. Development 121: 2537–2547. , , , , .
- 1999. Stromal cells mediate retinoic-dependent functions essential for renal development. Development 126: 1139–1148. , , , , .
- 1996. The conserved role of Krox-20 in directing Hox gene expression during vertebrate hindbrain segmentation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9339–9345. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Wnt genes. Cell 69: 1073–1087. , .
- 1998. FGF-10 is a chemotactic factor for distal epithelial buds during lung development. Dev Biol 15: 125–134. , , , , .
- 2000. The progeny of wingless-expressing cells deliver the signal at a distance in Drosophila embryos. Curr Biol 10: 321–324. , , , .
- An arrow hits the Wnt signaling pathway. 2001. Trends Neurosci 24: 69–71. .
- 2001. TGF(beta)2, LIF and FGF2 cooperate to induce nephrogenesis. Development 128: 1045–1057. , , , , , .
- 1999. FGF-7 modulates ureteric bud growth and nephron number in the developing kidney. Development 126: 547–554. , , , , , .
- 1997. Glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor is required for bud initiation from ureteric epithelium. Development 124: 4077–4087. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Cell lineages in the embryonic kidney: their inductive interactions and signalling molecules. Biochem Cell Biol 76: 1009–1016. , .
- 1989. Embryonic neurons as in vitro inducers of differentiation of nephrogenic mesenchyme. Dev Biol 132: 271–281. , , .
- 1997. The tip-top branching ureter. Curr Opin Cell Biol 9: 877–884. , .
- 1987. Organogenesis of the kidney. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 1–173. .
- 1987. Embryonic kidney in organ culture. Differentiation 36: 2–11. , .
- 1994. Epithelial transformation of metanephric mesenchyme in the developing kidney regulated by Wnt-4. Nature 372: 679–683. , , , .
- 1997. Signalling networks regulating dental development. Mech Dev 67: 111-123. , .
- 1999. Molecular genetic studies of Wnt signaling in the mouse. Exp Cell Res 253: 336–348. , , .
- 1997. Inductive tissue interactions, cell signaling and the control of kidney organogenesis. Cell 90: 975–978. , .
- 2000. Road to kidney tubules via the Wnt pathway. Pediatr Nephrology 15: 151–156. , .
- 1999. Wnts as kidney tubule inducing factors. Int J Dev Biol 43: 419–423. , , , .
- 1998. Role of members of the Wnt gene family in human hematopoiesis. Blood 92: 3189–3202. , , , .
- 1993. Detection of messenger RNA by in situ hybridization to tissue sections and whole mounts. Methods Enzymol 225: 361–373. , .
- 1998. Mechanisms of Wnt signaling in development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 14: 59–88. , .
- 1998. Structure and expression of Wnt13, a novel mouse Wnt2 related gene. Mech Dev 73: 107–116. , , , , , .
- 1997. Disruption of overlapping transcripts in the ROSA beta geo 26 gene trap strain leads to widespread expression of beta-galactosidase in mouse embryos and hematopoietic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 3789–3794. , , , , , .