Fibulin-2 expression marks transformed mesenchymal cells in developing cardiac valves, aortic arch vessels, and coronary vessels
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 222, Issue 1, pages 89–100, September 2001
How to Cite
Tsuda, T., Wang, H., Timpl, R. and Chu, M.-L. (2001), Fibulin-2 expression marks transformed mesenchymal cells in developing cardiac valves, aortic arch vessels, and coronary vessels. Dev. Dyn., 222: 89–100. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1172
- Issue online: 7 AUG 2001
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Received: 23 MAR 2001
- National Institute of Health. Grant Number: GM 55625
- 1990. Fibulin is an extracellular matrix and plasma glycoprotein with repeated domain structure. J Cell Biol 111: 3155–3164. , , , .
- 1996. Early embryonic vascular development. Cardiovasc Res 31: E34–E45. .
- 1990. Potential role of the extracellular matrix in postseptation development of the heart. Ann N Y Acad Sci 588: 87–92. , , .
- 1996. Distribution of connective tissue proteins during development and neovascularization of the epicardium. Cardiovasc Res 31: E104–E115. , , , .
- 1997. The C-terminal domain V of perlecan promotes beta1 integrin-mediated cell adhesion, binds heparin, nidogen and fibulin-2 and can be modified by glycosaminoglycans. Eur J Biochem 250: 39–46. , , , , .
- 1985. Transmural organization of the arterial media: the lamellar unit revisited. Arteriosclerosis 5: 19–34. , .
- 1993a. Smooth muscle cell to elastic lamina connections in developing mouse aorta: role in aortic medial organization. Lab Invest 68: 89–99. .
- 1993b. Endothelial cell connecting filaments anchor endothelial cells to the subjacent elastic lamina in the developing aortic intima of the mouse. Cell Tissue Res 272: 211–219. .
- 1995. Elastic lamina growth in the developing mouse aorta. J Histochem Cytochem 11: 1115–1123. .
- 1989. Embryonic heart mesenchymal cell migration on laminin. Dev Biol 133: 37–43. , , .
- 1998. Common epicardial origin of coronary vascular smooth muscle, perivascular fibroblasts, and intermyocardial fibroblasts in the avian heart. Dev Biol 193: 169–181. , , , .
- 1998. Morphogenesis of the first blood vessels. Ann N Y Acad Sci 857: 155–179. , , .
- 1995. Molecular regulation of atrioventricular valvuloseptal morphogenesis. Circ Res 77: 1–6. , .
- 1997. Fashioning the vertebrate heart: earliest embryonic decisions. Development 124: 2099–2117. , .
- 1999. Sequence, recombinant expression and tissue localization of two novel extracellular matrix proteins, fibulin-3 and fibulin-4. Matrix Biol 18: 469–480. , , .
- 1996. Development of the aortic vessel wall as defined by vascular smooth muscle and extracellular matrix markers. Dev Biol 178: 375–392. , , , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest. Development 127: 1607–1616. , , , , .
- 1995. Neural crest and cardiovascular patterning. Circ Res 77: 211–215. , .
- 1999. EVEC, a novel epidermal growth factor-like repeat-containing protein upregulated in embryonic and diseased adult vasculature. Circ Res 84: 1166–1176. , , , .
- 1995. Defective development of the embryonic and extraembryonic circulatory systems in vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM-1) deficient mice. Development 121: 489–503. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Application of plastic embedding for sectioning whole mount immunostained early vertebrate embryos. In: TuanRS, LoCW, editors. Developmental biology protocols, Vol. I. Methods in molecular biology Vol. 135. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. p 165–174. , .
- 1990. A comparison of fibronectin, laminin and galactosyltransferase adhesion mechanisms during embryonic cardiac mesenchymal cell migration in vitro. Dev Biol 140: 401–412. , .
- 1986. Cardiogenesis: developmental mechanisms and embryology. In: FozzardHA, HaberE, JenningsRB, KatzAM, MorganHE, editors. The heart and cardiovascular system. New York: Raven Press. p 965–985. , , , .
- 1995. Overview: Formation and early morphogenesis of the primary heart tube. In: ClarkEB, MarkwaldRR, TakaoA, editors. Developmental mechanisms of heart disease. Armonk, NY: Futura Publishing. p 149–155. .
- 1990. Inductive interactions in heart development: role of cardiac adherons in cushion tissue formation. Ann N Y Acad Sci 588: 13–25. , , , .
- 1992. Retroviral analysis of cardiac morphogenesis: discontinuous formation of coronary vessels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 9504–9508. , .
- 1996. Pericardial mesoderm generates a population of coronary smooth muscle cells migrating into the heart along with ingrowth of the epicardial organ. Dev Biol 174: 221–232. , .
- 1998. Ultrastructural localization of microfibrillar fibulin-1 and fibulin-2 during heart development indicates a switch in molecular associations. Cell Mol Life Sci 54: 606–613. , , , , .
- 1999. Angiogenesis inhibitor endostatin is a distinct component of elastic fibers in vessel walls. FASEB J 13: 1743–1750. , , .
- 1999. DANCE, a novel secreted RGD protein expressed in developing, atherosclerotic, and balloon-injured arteries. J Biol Chem 274: 22476–22483. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993a. Sequence of extracellular mouse protein BM-90/fibulin and its calcium-dependent binding to other basement-membrane ligands. Eur J Biochem 215: 733–740. , , , , , .
- 1993b. Structure and expression of fibulin-2, a novel extracellular matrix protein with multiple EGF-like repeats and consensus motifs for calcium binding. J Cell Biol 123: 1269–1277. , , , , , .
- 1993. Development of the cardiac coronary vascular endothelium, studied with antiendothelial antibodies, in chicken-quail chimeras. Circ Res 73: 559–568. , , , , .
- 1996. Fibrillin-1 and fibulin-2 interact and are colocalized in some tissues. J Biol Chem 271: 19489–19496. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Binding of mouse and human fibulin-2 to extracellular matrix ligands. J Mol Biol 254: 241–250. , , , , .
- 1998. Structure, function and tissue forms of the C-terminal globular domain of collagen XVIII containing the angiogenesis inhibitor endostatin. EMBO J 17: 4249–4256. , , , , , .
- 1999. Tropoelastin binding to fibulins, nidogen-2 and other extracellular matrix proteins. FEBS Lett 460: 280–284. , , , , , .
- 1992. Fibulin is localized at sites of epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in the early avian embryo. Dev Biol 151: 473–484. , , , , .
- 1996. Spatial and temporal pattern of smooth muscle cell differentiation during development of the vascular system in the mouse embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl) 194: 515–526. , , .
- 1997. Human fibulin-1D: molecular cloning, expression and similarity with S1-5 protein, a new member of the fibulin gene family. Matrix Biol 15: 479–493. , , , .
- 1998. Differential expression of flectin in the extracellular matrix and left-right asymmetry in mouse embryonic heart during looping stages. Dev Genet 23: 203–214. , , .
- 1993. Early development of quail heart epicardium and associated vascular and glandular structures. Anat Embryol (Berl) 188: 381–393. , , , .
- 1999. Smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts of the coronary arteries derived from epithelial-mesenchymal transformation of the epicardium. Anat Embyol (Berl) 199: 367–378. , , , .
- 2000. Gene expression analysis by in situ hybridization: Radioactive probes. In: TuanRS, LoCW, editors. Developmental biology protocols, Vol. III, Methods in molecular biology, Vol. 137. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. p 87–96. , .
- 1967. A lamellar unit of aortic medial structure and function in mammals. Circ Res 20: 99–111. , .
- 1995. Cell adhesion events mediated by alpha 4 integrins are essential in placental and cardiac development. Development 121: 549–560. , , .
- 1993. The extracellular matrix glycoproteins BM-90 and tenascin are expressed in the mesenchyme at sites of endothelial-mesenchymal conversion in the embryonic mouse heart. Differentiation 52: 211–220. , , , , .
- 1995. Extracellular matrix protein fibulin-2 is expressed in the embryonic endocardial cushion tissue and is a prominent component of valves in adult heart. Dev Biol 167: 18–26. , , , , , .
- 1996. Fibulin-1 and fibulin-2 expression during organogenesis in the developing mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 205: 348–364. , , , , .