Drs. Ulven and Glover contributed equally to the execution of this work.
Quantitative axial profiles of retinoic acid in the embryonic mouse spinal cord: 9-Cis retinoic acid only detected after all-trans-retinoic acid levels are super-elevated experimentally
Article first published online: 2 OCT 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 222, Issue 3, pages 341–353, November 2001
How to Cite
Ulven, S. M., Gundersen, T. E., Sakhi, A. K., Glover, J. C. and Blomhoff, R. (2001), Quantitative axial profiles of retinoic acid in the embryonic mouse spinal cord: 9-Cis retinoic acid only detected after all-trans-retinoic acid levels are super-elevated experimentally. Dev. Dyn., 222: 341–353. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1184
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2001
- Article first published online: 2 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2001
- Norwegian Medical Research Council
- Throne Holst Fund
- Nansen Fund
- 1993. Retinoic acid receptors and retinoid X receptors: interactions with endogenous retinoic acids. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 30–34. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Retinoic acid modifies the pattern of cell differentiation in the central nervous system of neurula stage Xenopus embryos. Development 112: 945–958. , .
- 1999. Differential distribution of retinoic acid synthesis in the chicken embryo as determined by immunolocalization of the retinoic acid synthetic enzyme, RALDH-2. Dev Biol 210: 288–304. , , , .
- 1996. A decade of molecular biology of retinoic acid receptors. FASEB J 10: 940–954. .
- 1993. Local sources of retinoic acid coincide with retinoid-mediated transgene activity during embryonic development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 6572–6576. , , .
- 1987. Low teratogenicity of 13-cis-retinoic acid (Isotretinoin) in the mouse corresponds to low embryo concentrations during organogenesis: comparison to the all-trans isomer. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 87: 474–482. , , , .
- 1989. Teratogenicity and placental transfer of all-trans-, 13-cis-, 4-oxo-all- trans-, and 4-oxo-13-cis-retinoic acid after administration of a low oral dose during organogenesis in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 100: 162–176. , , , , .
- 1994. Developmental expression of murine retinoid X receptor (RXR) genes. Mech Dev 45: 91–104. , , , .
- 1999. Key roles of retinoic acid receptors alpha and beta in the patterning of the caudal hindbrain, pharyngeal arches and otocyst in the mouse Development 126: 5051–5059. , , , , .
- 1989. Retinoic acid causes an anteroposterior transformation in the developing central nervous system. Nature 340: 140–144. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Structural and functional evidence for activation of a chick retinoid X receptor by eicosanoids. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 250: 63–69. , , , .
- 1998. Segment-specific pattern of sympathetic preganglionic projections in the chicken embryo spinal cord is altered by retinoids. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 10878–10883. , , , , .
- 1998. Initiation of rhombomeric Hoxb4 expression requires induction by somites and a retinoid pathway. Neuron 21: 39–51. , , .
- 1995. Activation of mammalian retinoid X receptors by the insect growth regulator methoprene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 6157–6160. , , , .
- 1999. Distinct functions for Aldh1 and Raldh2 in the control of ligand production for embryonic retinoid signaling pathways. Dev Genet 25: 353–364. , , .
- 1992. 9-cis retinoic acid is a high affinity ligand for the retinoid X receptor. Cell 68: 397–406. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Regional pattern of retinoid X receptor-alpha gene expression in the central nervous system of the chicken embryo and its up-regulation by exposure to 9-cis retinoic acid. J Comp Neurol 398: 575–586. , .
- 1995. Endogenous distribution of retinoids during normal development and teratogenesis in the mouse embryo. Dev Dyn 202, 312–323. , .
- 1992. The atlas of mouse development. Academic Press, London. .
- 1996. Phytol metabolites are circulating dietary factors that activate the nuclear receptor RXR. Mol Biol Cell 7: 1153–1166. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Placental transfer and developmental effects of 9-cis retinoic acid in mice. Teratology 51: 257–265. , , , .
- 1996. RXR gamma null mice are apparently normal and compound RXR alpha +/- /RXR beta -/-/RXR gamma -/- mutant mice are viable. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 9010–9014. , , , , , .
- 1995. Protein phosphatases 1 and 2A regulate the transcriptional and DNA binding activities of retinoic acid receptors. J Biol Chem 270: 10806–10816. , , , , .
- 1994. Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development. I. Craniofacial and skeletal abnormalities in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2723– 2748. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Ligand-bound RXR can mediate retinoid signal transduction during embryogenesis. Development 124: 195–203. , , .
- 1997. Positional apoptosis during vertebrate CNS development in the absence of endogenous retinoids. Development 124: 2799–2805. , , , , .
- 1998. The distribution of endogenous retinoic acid in the chick embryo: implications for developmental mechanisms. Development 125: 4133–4144. , , , .
- 1995. The RXR heterodimers and orphan receptors. Cell 83: 841–850. , .
- 1995. The nuclear receptor superfamily: the second decade. Cell 83: 835–839. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The RXRalpha ligand-dependent activation function 2 (AF-2) is important for mouse development. Development 125: 4691–4707. , , , , , .
- 1999. Feedback-inducible nuclear-receptor-driven reporter gene expression in transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 13270–13275. , , .
- 1994. Hot spots of retinoic acid synthesis in the developing spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 7194–7197. , .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoic acid synthesis and hindbrain patterning in the mouse embryo. Development 127: 75–85. , , , , .
- 1999. A sonic hedgehog-independent, retinoid-activated pathway of neurogenesis in the ventral spinal cord. Cell 97: 903–915. , , , .
- 1991. Activity of the beta-retinoic acid receptor promoter in transgenic mice. Mech Dev 36: 15–29. , , .
- 1995. Phosphorylation of the retinoic acid receptor-alpha by protein kinase A. Mol Endocrinol 9: 860–871. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of a retinoic acid response element-hsplacZ transgene defines specific domains of transcriptional activity during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev 5: 1333–1344. , , , , .
- 1998. Quantitative determination of endogenous retinoids in mouse embryos by high-performance liquid chromatography with on-line solid-phase extraction, column switching and electrochemical detection. J Chromatogr A 828: 451–460. , , , , .
- 1989. Elevations in the endogenous levels of the putative morphogen retinoic acid in embryonic mouse limb-buds associated with limb dysmorphogenesis. Dev Biol 133: 529–536. , .
- 1998. Motor neuron-derived retinoid signaling specifies the subtype identity of spinal motor neurons. Cell 94: 503–514. , .
- 1998. Retinoid-X receptor signalling in the developing spinal cord. Nature 395: 398–402. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression of retinoic acid receptor and retinoid X receptor subtypes in rat liver cells: implications for retinoid signalling in parenchymal, endothelial, Kupffer and stellate cells. Eur J Cell Biol 77: 111–116. , , , , , .
- 2000. Identification of endogenous retinoids, enzymes, binding proteins, and receptors during early postimplantation development in mouse: important role of retinal dehydrogenase type 2 in synthesis of all-trans-retinoic acid. Dev Biol 220: 379–391. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Distribution of all-trans-, 13-cis- and 9-cis-retinoic acid to whole rat embryos and maternal serum following oral administration of a teratogenic dose of all-trans-retinoic acid. Pharmacol Toxicol 76: 196–201. , .
- 1996. Molecular identification of a major retinoic-acid-synthesizing enzyme, a retinaldehyde-specific dehydrogenase. Eur J Biochem 240: 15–22. , , , , , , .