NG2 proteoglycan is expressed exclusively by mural cells during vascular morphogenesis
Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2001
Copyright © 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 222, Issue 2, pages 218–227, October 2001
How to Cite
Ozerdem, U., Grako, K. A., Dahlin-Huppe, K., Monosov, E. and Stallcup, W. B. (2001), NG2 proteoglycan is expressed exclusively by mural cells during vascular morphogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 222: 218–227. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1200
- Issue online: 28 SEP 2001
- Version of Record online: 20 SEP 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2001
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: RO1 NS21990, RO1 AR44400
- American Heart Association Western Affiliate postdoctoral fellowship. Grant Number: 0120036Y
- 2001. Pericytes: cell biology and pathology. Cells Tissues Organs 169: 1–11. , .
- 1989. An activated form of transforming growth factor beta is produced by cocultures of endothelial cells and pericytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 4544–4548. , , , .
- 1998. Role of the CNS microvascular pericyte in the blood-brain barrier. J Neurosci Res 53: 637–644. , .
- 1997. Vascular development: cellular and molecular regulation. Faseb J 11: 365–373. , .
- 1994. Differential expression of alpha-actin mRNA and immunoreactive protein in brain microvascular pericytes and smooth muscle cells. J Neurosci Res 39: 430–435. , .
- 1996. Binding of the NG2 proteoglycan to type VI collagen and other extracellular matrix molecules. J Biol Chem 271: 26110–26116. , , , .
- 1997. A central segment of the NG2 proteoglycan is critical for the ability of glioma cells to bind and migrate toward type VI collagen. Exp Cell Res 235: 254–264. , , .
- 1999. NG2 proteoglycan-binding peptides target tumor neovasculature. Cancer Res 59: 2869–2874. , , , , .
- 1989. Functional sorting of actin isoforms in microvascular pericytes. J Cell Biol 109: 191–202. , , .
- 2000. Vasculogenesis in the day 6.5 to 9.5 mouse embryo. Blood 95: 1671–1679. , .
- 1999. Cytoskeletal reorganization induced by engagement of the NG2 proteoglycan leads to cell spreading and migration. Mol Biol Cell 10: 3373–3387. , , , , , .
- 1995. Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease. Nat Med 1: 27–31. .
- 1996. Blood vessel formation: what is its molecular basis? [comment]. Cell 87: 1153–1155. , .
- 1999. High-affinity binding of basic fibroblast growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor-AA to the core protein of the NG2 proteoglycan. J Biol Chem 274: 16831–16837. , , , .
- 2000. Binding of the NG2 proteoglycan to kringle domains modulates the functional properties of angiostatin and plasmin(ogen). J Biol Chem 275: 28625–28633. , , .
- 1995. Participation of the NG2 proteoglycan in rat aortic smooth muscle cell responses to platelet-derived growth factor. Exp Cell Res 221: 231–240. , .
- 1999. PDGF (alpha)-receptor is unresponsive to PDGF-AA in aortic smooth muscle cells from the NG2 knockout mouse. J Cell Sci 112: 905–915. , , , , .
- 1998. PDGF, TGF-beta, and heterotypic cell-cell interactions mediate endothelial cell-induced recruitment of 10T1/2 cells and their differentiation to a smooth muscle fate. J Cell Biol 141: 805–814. , , .
- 1999. Endothelial cells modulate the proliferation of mural cell precursors via platelet-derived growth factor-BB and heterotypic cell contact. Circ Res 84: 298–305. , , , , .
- 1996. Development of the aortic vessel wall as defined by vascular smooth muscle and extracellular matrix markers. Dev Biol 178: 375–392. , , , .
- 1990. Alpha- and beta-adrenergic stimulation induces distinct patterns of immediate early gene expression in neonatal rat myocardial cells. fos/jun expression is associated with sarcomere assembly; Egr-1 induction is primarily an alpha 1-mediated response. J Biol Chem 265: 13809–13817. , , , .
- 1999. Regionalization of transcriptional potential in the myocardium. In: HarveyR, RosenthalN, editors. Heart development. San Diego, CA: Academic Press. p 333–355. , , , .
- 1994. Chamber specification of atrial myosin light chain-2 expression precedes septation during murine cardiogenesis. J Biol Chem 269: 16961–16970. , , , , .
- 1997. Type VI collagen anchors endothelial basement membranes by interacting with type IV collagen. J Biol Chem 272: 26522–26529. , , , .
- 1975. Mesenchymal derivatives of the neural crest: analysis of chimaeric quail and chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 34: 125–154. , .
- 1998. Not all myofibroblasts are alike: revisiting the role of PDGF-A and PDGF-B using PDGF-targeted mice. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 7: 21–26. , .
- 1997. Pericyte loss and microaneurysm formation in PDGF-B-deficient mice. Science 277: 242–245. , , , .
- 1987. Visualization of a developing vasculature. Microvasc Res 33: 257–269. , , , .
- 1996. Vasoproliferation in the neonatal dog model of oxygen-induced retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 37: 1322–1333. , , .
- 1995. Chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans in the developing cerebral cortex: the distribution of neurocan distinguishes forming afferent and efferent axonal pathways. J Comp Neurol 355: 615–628. , , , .
- 1988. A monoclonal antibody (3G5)-defined ganglioside antigen is expressed on the cell surface of microvascular pericytes. J Exp Med 167: 1003–1015. , , , , .
- 1991. Heterogeneity of microvascular pericytes for smooth muscle type alpha-actin. J Cell Biol 113: 147–154. , .
- 1992. Pericyte involvement in capillary sprouting during angiogenesis in situ. Cell Tissue Res 270: 469–474. , , .
- 1993. Expression of NG2 proteoglycan causes retention of type VI collagen on the cell surface. Mol Biol Cell 4: 1097–1108. , .
- 1991. The expression of NG2 proteoglycan in the developing rat limb. Development 111: 933–944. , , .
- 1996. Co-localization of NG2 proteoglycan and PDGF alpha-receptor on O2A progenitor cells in the developing rat brain. J Neurosci Res 43: 299–314. , , , , .
- 1993. Positional specification of ventricular myosin light chain 2 expression in the primitive murine heart tube. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 5157–5161. , , .
- 1987. Inhibition of capillary endothelial cell growth by pericytes and smooth muscle cells. J Cell Biol 105: 1455–1462. , .
- 1993. Co-localization of von Willebrand factor and type VI collagen in human vascular subendothelium. Am J Pathol 142: 843–850. , , , , .
- 1997. Mechanisms of angiogenesis. Nature 386: 671–674. .
- 1995. Vasculogenesis. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 11: 73–91. , .
- 1989. Inhibition of endothelial cell movement by pericytes and smooth muscle cells: activation of a latent transforming growth factor-beta 1-like molecule by plasmin during co-culture. J Cell Biol 109: 309–315. , .
- 1990. Characterization of the activation of latent TGF-beta by co-cultures of endothelial cells and pericytes or smooth muscle cells: a self-regulating system. J Cell Biol 111: 757–763. , , , , .
- 1990. Expression of the high molecular weight melanoma-associated antigen by pericytes during angiogenesis in tumors and in healing wounds. Am J Pathol 136: 1393–1405. , , , , .
- 1996. Aminopeptidase a is a constituent of activated pericytes in angiogenesis. J Pathol 179: 436–442. , , , , .
- 1998. Osteogenic potential of vascular pericytes in marrow stromal cell cultures. In: BeresfordJ, OwenM, editors. Marrow stromal cell culture. Cambridge, UK: University of Cambridge Press Syndicate. p 128–148. , .
- 1991. Correlation of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan expression on proliferating brain capillary endothelial cells with the malignant phenotype of astroglial cells. Cancer Res 51: 4986–4993. , , , , , .
- 1994. Heterogeneity of pericyte populations in equine skeletal muscle and dermal microvessels: a quantitative study. Anat Histol Embryol 23: 232–238. , , , .
- 1986. The pericyte—a review. Tissue Cell 18: 153–174. .
- 1968. Studies on diabetic retinopathy. III. Influence of diabetes on intramural pericytes. Arch Ophthalmol 80: 332–337. , , .
- 1990. Interaction of the NG2 chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan with type VI collagen. J Cell Biol 111: 3177–3188. , , .
- 1996. Spatial and temporal pattern of smooth muscle cell differentiation during development of the vascular system in the mouse embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl) 194: 515–526. , , .
- 1997. The membrane-spanning proteoglycan NG2 binds to collagens V and VI through the central nonglobular domain of its core protein. J Biol Chem 272: 10769–10776. , , , .
- 1979. Pericyte-endothelial relationships in cardiac and skeletal muscle capillaries. Microvasc Res 18: 325–335. , , .
- 1995. Early and extensive contribution of pericytes/vascular smooth muscle cells to microvascular proliferation in glioblastoma multiforme: an immuno-light and immuno-electron microscopic study. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 54: 304–310. , , , , , .
- 1986. Structure of the receptor for platelet-derived growth factor helps define a family of closely related growth factor receptors. Nature 323: 226–232. , , , , , , , , , , .