Temporal sequence of gene expression leading caudal prosencephalon to develop a midbrain/hindbrain phenotype
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2001
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 223, Issue 1, pages 141–147, January 2002
How to Cite
Hidalgo-Sánchez, M. and Alvarado-Mallart, R.-M. (2002), Temporal sequence of gene expression leading caudal prosencephalon to develop a midbrain/hindbrain phenotype. Dev. Dyn., 223: 141–147. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1224
- Issue online: 10 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2001
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUL 2001
- 1997. Genetic control of brain morphogenesis through Otx gene dosage requirement. Development 124: 3639–3650. , , , .
- 2000. The chick/quail transplantation model to study central nervous system development. Prog Brain Res 127: 67–98. .
- 1984. Homotopic and heterotopic transplantations of quail tectal primordia in chick embryos: organization of the retino-tectal projections in the chimeric embryos. Dev Biol 103: 378–398. , .
- 1999. Engrailed defines the position of dorsal di-mesencephalic boundary by repressing diencephalic fate. Development 126: 5127–5135. , .
- 1999. The caudal limit of Otx2 expression positions the isthmic organizer. Nature 401: 164–168. , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 1996. Midbrain development induced by FGF8 in the chick embryo. Nature 380: 66–68. , , .
- 2001. Neuroepithelial co-expression of Gbx2 and Otx2 precedes Fgf8 expression in the isthmic organizer. Mech Dev 101: 111–118. , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1999a. Comparative analysis of Otx2, Gbx2, Pax2, Fgf8, and Wnt1 gene expressions during the formation of the midbrain/hindbrain domain. Mech Dev 81: 59–62. , , , .
- 1999b. Fgf8 and Gbx2 induction concomitant with Otx2 repression is correlated with midbrain/hindbrain fate of caudal prosencephalon. Development 126: 3191–3203. , , .
- 1996. Engrailed, Wnt1, and Pax genes regulate hindbrain-midbrain development. Trends Genet 12: 15–20. .
- 1994. Patterning of the embryonic avian midbrain after experimental inversions: a polarizing activity from the isthmus. Dev Biol 167: 19–37. , .
- 2001. The isthmic organizer and brain regionalization. Int J Dev Biol 45: 367–371. .
- 1991. Induction of a mesencephalic phenotype in the 2-day-old chick prosencephalon is preceded by the early expression of the homeobox gene en. Neuron 6: 971–981. , , .
- 1995. Induction of ectopic engrailed expression and fate change in avian rhombomeres: intersegmental boundaries as barriers. Mech Dev 51: 289–303. , , , .
- 1999. FGF8 induces formation of an ectopic isthmic organizer and isthmocerebellar development via a repressive effect on Otx2 expression. Development 126: 1189–1200. , , , , .
- 1996. The caudal limit of Otx2 gene expression as a marker of the midbrain-hindbrain boundary: a study using in situ hybridisation and chick/quail homotopic grafts. Development 122: 3785–3797. , , , .
- 1999. A role for Gbx2 in repression of Otx2 and positioning the mid/hindbrain organizer. Nature 401: 161–164. , , , , , .
- 2001. Regionalization of the optic tectum: combinations of gene expression that define the tectum. Trends Neurosci 24: 32–39. .
- 1998. Expression of the homeobox gene Gbx2 during chick development. Mech Dev 76: 151–155. , .
- 1999. Roles of Pax2 in initiation of chick tectal development. Dev Brain Res 116: 41–49. , , .
- 1989. Expression of engrailed proteins in arthropods, annelids and chordates. Cell 58: 955–968. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fgf8 is mutated in zebrafish acerebellar mutants and is required for maintenance of midbrain-hindbrain boundary development and somatogenesis. Development 125: 2381–2395. , , , , , .
- 2001. The midbrain-hindbrain boundary organizer. Curr Opin Neurobiol 11: 34–42. , .
- 1998. Expression of Gbx2 during early development of the chick embryo. Mech Dev 76: 157–159. , .
- 1996. Two Pax-binding sites are required for early embryonic brain expression of Engrailed-2 transgene. Development 122: 627–635. , , , .
- 1997. Cooperation between Otx1 and Otx2 genes in developmental patterning of rostral brain. Mech Dev 69: 125–141. , , .