Hepatocyte growth factor is essential for migration of myogenic cells and promotes their proliferation during the early periods of tongue morphogenesis in mouse embryos
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 223, Issue 2, pages 169–179, February 2002
How to Cite
Amano, O., Yamane, A., Shimada, M., Koshimizu, U., Nakamura, T. and Iseki, S. (2002), Hepatocyte growth factor is essential for migration of myogenic cells and promotes their proliferation during the early periods of tongue morphogenesis in mouse embryos. Dev. Dyn., 223: 169–179. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.1228
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2002
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2001
- Manuscript Received: 25 MAY 2001
- The Ministry of Education, Science, Sports, and Culture of Japan. Grant Number: 12771081
- 2001. Antisense oligodeoxyribonucleotide targeting cAMP response element-binding protein inhibits growth of rat submandibular gland in vitro. Acta Histochem Cytochem 34: 111–117. , .
- 1994. Expression and localization of hepatocyte growth factor in rat submandibular gland. Growth Factors 10: 145–151. , , , .
- 1999. Enhancement by hepatocyte growth factor of bone and cartilage formation during embryonic mouse mandibular development in vitro. Arch Oral Biol 44: 935–946. , , , .
- 1997. A natural hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor autocrine loop in myoblast cells and the effect of the constitutive Met kinase activation on myogenic differentiation. J Cell Biol 137: 1057–1068. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Creation of an hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor autocrine loop in carcinoma cells induces invasive properties associated with increased tumorigenicity. Oncogene 9: 1091–1099. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Identification of the hepatocyte growth factor receptor as the c-met proto-oncogene product. Science 251: 802–804. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Essential role for the c-met receptor in the migration of myogenic precursor cells into the limb bud. Nature 376: 768–771. , , , , .
- 1999. Genetic and epigenetic control of muscle development in vertebrates. Cell Tissue Res 296: 199–212. , .
- 1994. Specific transforming growth factor-β subtypes regulate embryonic mouse Meckel's cartilage and tooth development. Dev Biol 162: 85–103. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Murine tongue muscle displays a distinct developmental profiles of MRF and contractile gene expression. Int J Dev Biol 43: 27–37. , , , , .
- 1999. The role of SF/HGF and c-Met in the development of skeletal muscle. Development 126: 1621–1629. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Biosynthesis of the protein encoded by the met protooncogene. Oncogene 4: 1383–1388. , , , , , .
- 1998. Co-expression of hepatocyte growth factor and its receptor in human prostate cancer. Histochem J 30: 27–32. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning and characterization of cDNA encoding mouse hepatocyte growth factor. Biochem Biophys Acta 1216: 299–303. , , .
- 1996. Interleukin 1 induces an autocrine loop hepatocyte growth factor/c-Met in murine Kaposi-like spindle cells. Oncogene 13: 1009–1015. , , , .
- 1991. Hepatocyte growth factor: molecular structure and implications for a central role in liver regeneration. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 6: 509–519. , .
- 1992. Hepatocyte growth factor: molecular structure, roles in liver regeneration, and other biological functions. Crit Rev Oncog 3: 27–54. , .
- 1997. Hepatocyte growth factor, HGF, as a tissue organizer for organogenesis and regeneration. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 239: 639–644. , .
- 1992. Desmin expression during early mouse tonge morphogenesis. Int J Dev Biol 36: 255–263. , , , , .
- 1991. Identification of a fibroblast-derived epithelial morphogen as hepatocyte growth factor. Cell 29: 901–908. , , , .
- 1991. Structure and function of hepatocyte growth factor. Prog Growth Factor Res 3: 67–85. .
- 1984. Partial purification and characterization of hepatocyte growth factor from serum of hepatectomized rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 122: 1450–1459. , , .
- 1986. Purification and characterization of a growth factor from rat platelets for mature parenchymal hepatocytes in primary cultures. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83: 6489–6493. , , , , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning and expression of human hepatocyte growth factor. Nature 342: 440–443. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) stimulates the tyrosine kinase activity of the receptor encoded by the proto-oncogene c-MET. Oncogene 6: 501–504. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Formation and distribution of neural crest mesenchyme to the first pharyngeal arch region of the mouse embryo. Am J Anat 176: 221–231. .
- 1983. The embryonic origins of avian cephalic and cervical muscles and associated connective tissues. Am J Anat 168: 257–276. .
- 1986. Patterning of avian craniofacial muscles. Dev Biol 116: 347–356. .
- 1998. Hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) acts as a mesenchyme-derived morphogenic factor during fetal lung development. Development 125: 1315–1324. , , , .
- 1991. Molecular control of myogenesis: antagonism between growth and differentiation. Mol Cell Biochem 104: 7–13. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Sequence of MET protooncogene cDNA has features characteristic of the tyrosine kinase family of growth-factor receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84: 6379–6383. , , , , , .
- 1994. Involvement of hepatocyte growth factor in kidney development. Dev Biol 163: 525–529. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A new look at the origin, function, and “stem-cell” status of muscle satellite cells. Dev Biol 218: 115–124. , .
- 1991. Organization of the human hepatocyte growth factor-encoding gene. Gene 102: 213–219. , , , , .
- 1993. EGF abrogation induced fusilli-form dysmorphogenesis of Meckel's cartilage during embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis in vitro. Development 118: 903–917. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Early embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation in serumless, chemically defined medium, a model for studies of autocrine/paracrine regulatory factors. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 9: 185–205. , , , .
- 1990. Cartilage, bone and tooth induction during early embryonic mouse mandibular morphogenesis using serumless, chemically defined medium. Connect Tissue Res 24: 41–51. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor and its receptor, the c-met tyrosine kinase, can mediate a signal exchange between mesenchyme and epithelia during mouse development. J Cell Biol 123: 223–235. , , , .
- 1987. Scatter factor is fibroblast derived modulator of epithelial cell mobility. Nature 327: 329–342. , , , .
- 1996. Hepatocyte growth factor is involved in the morphogenesis of tooth germ in murine molars. Development 122: 1243–1251. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor as re regulator of skeletal muscle and neural crest development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 5866–5871. , , , , .
- 1990. Deduced primary structure of rat hepatocyte growth factor and expression of the mRNA in rat tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 3200–3204. , , , , , , .
- 1972. The house mouse. New York: Springer-Verlag. 178 p .
- 1985. Isolation and characterization of rat and human glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase cDNA, Genomic complexity and molecular evolution of the gene. Nucleic Acids Res 13: 2485–2503. , , , , .
- 1986. Origin and development of the cranial skeletal muscles. Bibl Anat 29: 24–46. , .
- 1990. Scatter factor: molecular characteristics and effect on the invasiveness of epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 111: 2097–2108. , , , .
- 1997. TGF-alpha, EGF, and their cognate EGF Receptor are co-expressed with desmin during embryonic, fetal, and neonatal myogenesis in mouse tongue development. Dev Dyn 209: 353–266. , , , , , , , .
- 1998a. Transforming growth factor alpha up-regulates desmin expression during embryonic mouse tongue myogenesis. Dev Dyn 213: 71–81. , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Induced expression of Myo D, myogenin and desmin during myoblast differentiation in embryonic mouse tongue development. Arch Oral Biol 43: 407–416. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Differential expression of myogenic regulatory factors during the development of mouse tongue striated muscle. Arch Oral Biol 45: 71–78. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of the met receptor tyrosine kinase in muscle progenitor cells in somites and limbs is absent in splotch mice. Development 122: 2163–2171. , , , .
- 1995. Quantitation of matrix Gla protein mRNA by competitive polymerase chain reaction using glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase as an internal standard. Gene 155: 159–165. , , .