Functional knockdown of neuropilin-1 in the developing chick nervous system by siRNA hairpins phenocopies genetic ablation in the mouse
Version of Record online: 22 APR 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 230, Issue 2, pages 299–308, June 2004
How to Cite
Bron, R., Eickholt, B. J., Vermeren, M., Fragale, N. and Cohen, J. (2004), Functional knockdown of neuropilin-1 in the developing chick nervous system by siRNA hairpins phenocopies genetic ablation in the mouse. Dev. Dyn., 230: 299–308. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20043
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2004
- Version of Record online: 22 APR 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2003
- Wellcome Trust
- 2002. RNAi and related mechanisms and their potential use for therapy. Curr Opin Chem Biol 6: 829–834. .
- 1996. Semaphorin III is needed for normal patterning and growth of nerves, bones and heart. Nature 383: 525–528. , , , , .
- 2002. A comprehensive collection of chicken cDNAs. Curr Biol 12: 1965–1969. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Induction of an interferon response by RNAi vectors in mammalian cells. Nat Genet 34: 263–264. , , , , .
- 2003. The chicken as a model for large-scale analysis of vertebrate gene function. Nat Rev Genet 4: 87–98. , , , .
- 2002. Functional siRNA expression from transfected PCR products. RNA 8: 1454–1460. , , .
- 2003. Genomewide view of gene silencing by small interfering RNAs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 6343–6346. , , , , , .
- 1997. Structural features of collapsin required for biological activity and distribution of binding sites in the developing chick. Mol Cell Neurosci 9: 358–371. , , , .
- 2002. An inactive pool of GSK-3 at the leading edge of growth cones is implicated in Semaphorin 3A signaling. J Cell Biol 157: 211–217. , , .
- 2001. Duplexes of 21-nucleotide RNAs mediate RNA interference in cultured mammalian cells. Nature 411: 494–498. , , , , , .
- 2000. SEMA3A regulates developing sensory projections in the chicken spinal cord. J Neurobiol 45: 227–236. , , , , .
- 2002. Specific interference with gene expression and gene function mediated by long dsRNA in neural cells. J Neurosci Methods 121: 151–157. , , , , , .
- 2003. Gene silencing in mammalian cells by PCR-based short hairpin RNA. FEBS Lett 548: 113–118. , , .
- 2003. The Opitz syndrome gene MID1 is essential for establishing asymmetric gene expression in Hensen's node. Dev Biol 258: 397–405. , .
- 2003. Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular development. Dev Cell 5: 45–57. , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Improved mountant for immunofluorescence preparations. J Clin Pathol 27: 254–256. , .
- 1999. ‘Shocking’ developments in chick embryology: electroporation and in ovo gene expression. Nat Cell Biol 1: E203–E207. , , .
- 2003. Gene silencing in chick embryos with a vector-based small interfering RNA system. Dev Growth Differ 45: 361–367. , .
- 2003. MKP3 mediates the cellular response to FGF8 signalling in the vertebrate limb. Nat Cell Biol 5: 513–519. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Requirement of neuropilin 1-mediated Sema3A signals in patterning of the sympathetic nervous system. Development 129: 671–680. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuropilin-semaphorin III/D-mediated chemorepulsive signals play a crucial role in peripheral nerve projection in mice. Neuron 19: 995–1005. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Neuropilin is a semaphorin III receptor. Cell 90: 753–762. , , , , , .
- 2001. The winged-helix transcription factor FoxD3 is important for establishing the neural crest lineage and repressing melanogenesis in avian embryos. Development 128: 1467–1479. , , , .
- 1988. The development of sensorimotor synaptic connections in the lumbosacral cord of the chick embryo. J Neurosci 8: 2530–2543. , , .
- 1993. Collapsin: a protein in brain that induces the collapse and paralysis of neuronal growth cones. Cell 75: 217–227. , , .
- 1999. Efficient targeting of gene expression in chick embryos by microelectroporation. Dev Growth Differ 41: 335–344. , , , , , .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene ‘knockdown’ in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 1997. Initial trajectories of sensory axons toward laminar targets in the developing mouse spinal cord. J Comp Neurol 380: 215–229. , .
- 2000. Ectopic adenoviral vector-directed expression of Sema3A in organotypic spinal cord explants inhibits growth of primary sensory afferents. Dev Biol 220: 129–141. , , , , .
- 2003. Screening for gene function in chicken embryo using RNAi and electroporation. Nat Biotechnol 21: 93–96. , , , , , .
- 1991. Replication-competent retrovirus vectors for the transfer and expression of gene cassettes in avian cells. J Virol 65: 3728–3737. , .
- 1996. The sensory innervation of the mouse spinal cord may be patterned by differential expression of and differential responsiveness to semaphorins. Mol Cell Neurosci 7: 419–431. , , .
- 1999. A dominant negative receptor for specific secreted semaphorins is generated by deleting an extracellular domain from neuropilin-1. J Neurosci 19: 7870–7880. , , , .
- 2003. Specificity of short interfering RNA determined through gene expression signatures. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 6347–6352. , , , , , .
- 1996. The distribution of collapsin-1 mRNA in the developing chick nervous system. Dev Biol 173: 185–199. , , , .
- 2003. Mammalian RNAi for the masses. Trends Genet 19: 9–12. .
- 1996. Mutations that suppress the thermosensitivity of green fluorescent protein. Curr Biol 6: 1653–1663. , , , .
- 1992. Proximal sequence element factor binding and species specificity in vertebrate U6 snRNA promoters. J Mol Biol 223: 873–884. , , , , , .
- 2003. Activation of the interferon system by short-interfering RNAs. Nat Cell Biol 5: 834–839. , , , , .
- 2003. The role of Grg4 in tectal laminar formation. Development 130: 451–462. , .
- 2002. A DNA vector-based RNAi technology to suppress gene expression in mammalian cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 5515–5520. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Integrity of developing spinal motor columns is regulated by neural crest derivatives at motor exit points. Neuron 37: 403–415. , , , , , , .
- 2002. No evidence for ventrally migrating neural tube cells from the mid- and hindbrain. Dev Dyn 223: 163–167. , , , .
- 2001. Specific double-stranded RNA interference in undifferentiated mouse embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell Biol 21: 7807–7816. , , , .