E-cadherin regulates cell movements and tissue formation in early zebrafish embryos
Article first published online: 22 APR 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 230, Issue 2, pages 263–277, June 2004
How to Cite
Babb, S. G. and Marrs, J. A. (2004), E-cadherin regulates cell movements and tissue formation in early zebrafish embryos. Dev. Dyn., 230: 263–277. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20057
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2004
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 11 NOV 2003
- National Institute of Health. Grant Number: EY11365
- Prevent Blindness America/Fight For Sight. Grant Number: PD20038
- 2001. Zebrafish E-cadherin: expression during early embryogenesis and regulation during brain development. Dev Dyn 221: 231–237. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail is a repressor of E-cadherin gene expression in epithelial tumour cells. Nat Cell Biol 2: 84–89. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Structure and distribution of N-cadherin in developing zebrafish embryos: morphogenetic effects of ectopic over-expression. Dev Dyn 201: 121–136. , , .
- 1994. Regulation of C-cadherin function during activin induced morphogenesis of Xenopus animal caps. J Cell Biol 126: 519–527. , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail controls epithelial-mesenchymal transitions by repressing E-cadherin expression. Nat Cell Biol 2: 76–83. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Expression of cell adhesion molecule E-cadherin in Xenopus embryos begins at gastrulation and predominates in the ectoderm. J Cell Biol 108: 2449–2458. , .
- 2002. Voxx: a PC-based, near real-time volume rendering system for biological microscopy. Am J Physiol 282: 6213–6218. , , , , .
- 2000. Morphants: a new systematic vertebrate functional genomics approach. Yeast 17: 302–306. .
- 2001. Morphant technology in model developmental systems. Genesis 30: 89–93. , .
- 1998. Antimorphic goosecoids. Development 125: 1347–1359. , , , .
- 1996. Ventral neural cadherin, a novel cadherin expressed in a subset of neural tissues in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Dyn 206: 121–130. , .
- 1994. Disruption of epithelial cell-matrix interactions induces apoptosis. J Cell Biol 124: 619–626. , .
- 2002. Myosin VI is required for E-cadherin-mediated border cell migration. Nat Cell Biol 4: 616–620. , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting morphogenesis during gastrulation and tail formation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development 123: 143–151. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. A functional test for maternally inherited cadherin in Xenopus shows its importance in cell adhesion at the blastula stage. Development 120: 49–57. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Zebrafish gastrulation movements: bridging cell and developmental biology. Semin Cell Dev Biol 13: 471–479. , .
- 2003. Regulation of tight junctions during the epithelium-mesenchyme transition: direct repression of the gene expression of claudins/occludin by Snail. J Cell Sci 116: 1959–1967. , , , .
- 1998. Furrow-associated microtubule arrays are required for the cohesion of zebrafish blastomeres following cytokinesis. J Cell Sci 111(Pt 24): 3695–3703. .
- 1997. Dynamic microtubules and specification of the zebrafish embryonic axis. Curr Biol 7: 31–42. , .
- 2002. Life at the edge: epiboly and involution in the zebrafish. In: Solnica-KrezelL, editor. Pattern formation in zebrafish. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. p 117–135. , .
- 1996. The zebrafish epiboly mutants. Development 123: 47–55. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Surface antigen in early differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 74: 4449–4452. , , , .
- 2000. The protocadherin PAPC establishes segmental boundaries during somitogenesis in xenopus embryos. Curr Biol 10: 821–830. , , , .
- 1992. Regulation of embryonic cell adhesion by the cadherin cytoplasmic domain. Cell 69: 225–236. .
- 1999. Gastrulation in zebrafish: what mutants teach us. Dev Biol 213: 231–245. , , .
- 1994. E-cadherin null mutant embryos fail to form a trophectoderm epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 8263–8267. , , , .
- 1995. Disruption of gastrulation movements in Xenopus by a dominant-negative mutant for C-cadherin. Dev Biol 171: 363–373. , .
- 1999. Spatial correspondence between R-cadherin expression domains and retinal ganglion cell axons in developing zebrafish. J Comp Neurol 410: 290–302. , , .
- 2003. Zebrafish N-cadherin, encoded by the glass onion locus, plays an essential role in retinal patterning. Dev Biol 259: 95–108. , , .
- 1994. The roles of catenins in the cadherin-mediated cell adhesion: functional analysis of E-cadherin-alpha catenin fusion molecules. J Cell Biol 127: 235–245. , , .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene ‘knockdown’ in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 1998. Dynamic behavior of the cadherin-based cell–cell adhesion system during Drosophila gastrulation. Dev Biol 203: 435–450. , , .
- 1999. Exogenous expression of beta-catenin regulates contact inhibition, anchorage-independent growth, anoikis, and radiation-induced cell cycle arrest. J Cell Biol 146: 855–868. , , .
- 2003. Sticky business: orchestrating cellular signals at adherens junctions. Cell 112: 535–548. , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate somitogenesis. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 311–350. .
- 2002. Parsing the prosencephalon. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 943–951. , , .
- 1995. A targeted mutation in the mouse E-cadherin gene results in defective preimplantation development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 855–859. , , .
- 1992. The protein product of the zebrafish homologue of the mouse T gene is expressed in nuclei of the germ ring and the notochord of the early embryo. Development 116: 1021–1032. , , , .
- 1992. Local and transient expression of E-cadherin involved in mouse embryonic brain morphogenesis. Development 116: 1011–1019. , .
- 2002. Cellular and genetic mechanisms of convergence and extension. In: Solnica-KrezelL, editor. Pattern formation in zebrafish. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. p 136–165. , .
- 1994. Microtubule arrays of the zebrafish yolk cell: organization and function during epiboly. Development 120: 2443–2455. , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting cell fates and cellular rearrangements during gastrulation in zebrafish. Development 123: 67–80. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Analysis of regulatory elements of E-cadherin with reporter gene constructs in transgenic mouse embryos. Dev Dyn 227: 238–245. , , , .
- 1993. Ultraviolet irradiation impairs epiboly in zebrafish embryos: evidence for a microtubule-dependent mechanism of epiboly. Development 119: 909–919. , .
- 1977. Functional correlation between cell adhesive properties and some cell surface proteins. J Cell Biol 75: 464–474. .
- 1988. The cadherins: cell–cell adhesion molecules controlling animal morphogenesis. Development 102: 639–655. .
- 1996. shotgun encodes Drosophila E-cadherin and is preferentially required during cell rearrangement in the neurectoderm and other morphogenetically active epithelia. Genes Dev 10: 672–685. , , , , , .
- 1994. Goosecoid expression in neurectoderm and mesendoderm is disrupted in zebrafish cyclops gastrulas. Dev Biol 164: 420–429. , , , .
- 1996. Zygotic Drosophila E-cadherin expression is required for processes of dynamic epithelial cell rearrangement in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev 10: 659–671. , , , , , .
- 2000. The zebrafish book. Eugene OR: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2000. Cadherin superfamily genes: functions, genomic organization, and neurologic diversity. Genes Dev 14: 1169–1180. , .
- 1998. Zebrafish paraxial protocadherin is a downstream target of spadetail involved in morphogenesis of gastrula mesoderm. Development 125: 3389–3397. , , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse paraxial protocadherin is expressed in trunk mesoderm and is not essential for mouse development. Genesis 27: 49–57. , , , , .
- 2001. Goosecoid promotes head organizer activity by direct repression of Xwnt8 in Spemann's organizer. Development 128: 2975–2987. , .