cProx1 immunoreactivity distinguishes progenitor cells and predicts hair cell fate during avian hair cell regeneration
Version of Record online: 3 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 230, Issue 4, pages 597–614, August 2004
How to Cite
Stone, J. S., Shang, J. L. and Tomarev, S. (2004), cProx1 immunoreactivity distinguishes progenitor cells and predicts hair cell fate during avian hair cell regeneration. Dev. Dyn., 230: 597–614. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20087
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 3 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2003
- NIH/NIDCD. Grant Numbers: DC03696, DC04661, DC02854
- NASA. Grant Number: NAG-2-1415
- Deafness Research Foundation
- 1998. Cell fate choices and the expression of Notch, Delta and Serrate homologues in the chick inner ear: parallels with Drosophila sense-organ development. Development 125: 4645–4654. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Mechanism of glia-neuron cell-fate switch in the Drosophila thoracic neuroblast 6-4 lineage. Development 127: 3513–3522. , , , .
- 1997. Pax-6, Prox 1, and Chx10 homeobox gene expression correlates with phenotypic fate of retinal precursor cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 38: 1293–1303. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Evolutionary conservation of sequence and expression of the bHLH protein Atonal suggests a conserved role in neurogenesis. Hum Mol Genet 5: 1207–1216. , , , , , .
- 2000. Functional conservation of atonal and Math1 in the CNS and PNS. Development 127: 1039–1048. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Math1: an essential gene for the generation of inner ear hair cells. Science 284: 1837–1841. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. FGFR3 Expression during development and regeneration of the chick inner ear sensory epithelia. Dev Biol 238: 247–259. , , , .
- 2003. Hair cell regeneration: winging our way towards a sound future. Curr Opin Neurobiol 13: 119–126. , .
- 1995. Cell cycle progression in gentamicin-damaged avian cochleas. J Neurosci 15: 4618–4628. , , , .
- 2000. Patterning of the mammalian cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 11707–11713. , , , , .
- 1996. Hair cell regeneration and vestibulo-ocular reflex recovery. Ann N Y Acad Sci 781: 47–58. , , .
- 2001. Patterns of cell division and expression of asymmetric cell fate determinants in postembryonic neuroblast lineages of Drosophila. Dev Biol 230: 125–138. , , .
- 2002. The role of Math 1 in inner ear development: uncoupling the establishment of the sensory primordium from hair cell fate determination. Development 129: 2495–2505. , , , .
- 1991. The prospero gene encodes a divergent homeodomain protein that controls neuronal identity in Drosophila. Development Suppl 2: 79–85. , , , .
- 1988. Regeneration of sensory hair cells after acoustic trauma. Science 240: 1772–1774. , .
- 1987. Regeneration of the tectorial membrane in the chick cochlea following severe acoustic trauma. Hear Res 30: 197–206. .
- 1999. Structural recovery from sound and aminoglycoside damage in the avian cochlea. Audio Neurootol 4: 271–285. .
- 1997. Conservation of the Notch signalling pathway in mammalian neurogenesis. Development 124: 1139–1148. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulated nuclear export of the homeodomain transcription factor Prospero. Development 128: 1359–1367. , , , , .
- 1991. The prospero gene specifies cell fates in the Drosophila central nervous system. Cell 65: 451–464. , , , .
- 2002. Prox1 is differentially localized during development. Mech Dev 112: 195–198. , , , , .
- 2003. Prox1 function controls progenitor cell proliferation and horizontal cell genesis in the mammalian retina. Nat Genet 34: 53–58. , , , .
- 2000. Notch signaling in the development of the inner ear: lessons from Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 11692–11699. , , .
- 1995. Secretion of a new basal layer of tectorial membrane following gentamicin-induced hair cell loss. Hear Res 90: 31–43. , .
- 1999. Development of the vertebrate ear: insights from knockouts and mutants. Trends Neurosci 22: 263–269. .
- 2002. Revisiting cell fate specification in the inner ear. Curr Opin Neurobiol 12: 35–42. , .
- 2001. Asymmetric Prospero localization is required to generate mixed neuronal/glial lineages in the Drosophila CNS. Development 128: 4103–4112. , .
- 2000. Developmental evolutionary biology of the vertebrate ear: conserving mechanoelectric transduction and developmental pathways in diverging morphologies. Neuroreport 11: R35–R44. , , .
- 1999. Revisiting the Drosophila microchaete lineage; a novel intrinsically asymmetric cell division generates a glial cell. Development 126: 2573–2584. , , .
- 1998. Restricted expression of the homeobox gene prox 1 in developing zebrafish. Mech Dev 76: 175–178. , .
- 1999. Recovery of the vestibulocolic reflex after aminoglycoside ototoxicity in domestic chickens. J Neurophysiol 81: 1025–1035. , , , .
- 2001. Secreted FGFR3, but not FGFR1, inhibits lens fiber differentiation. Development 128: 1617–1627. , .
- 2000. Doing the MATH: is the mouse a good model for fly development? Genes Dev 14: 1852–1865. , .
- 1997. Unconventional myosins in inner-ear sensory epithelia. J Cell Biol 137: 1287–1307. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Asymmetric segregation of the homeodomain protein Prospero during Drosophila development. Nature 377: 627–630. , , , .
- 1997. Miranda directs Prospero to a daughter cell during Drosophila asymmetric divisions. Nature 390: 625–629. , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of proneural and neurogenic genes in the zebrafish lateral line primordium correlates with selection of hair cell fate in neuromasts. Mech Dev 102: 263–266. , .
- 1998. Asymmetric cell division. Nature 392: 775–778. , .
- 1995. Avian cochlear hair cell regeneration: stereological analyses of damage and recovery from a single high dose of gentamicin. Hear Res 92: 17–29. , , .
- 1993. Atonal is a proneural gene that directs chordotonal organ formation in the Drosophila peripheral nervous system. Cell 73: 1307–1321. , , , .
- 2000. Prox 1 in eye degeneration and sensory organ compensation during development and evolution of the cavefish Astyanax. Dev Genes Evol 210: 223–230. , , , , .
- 1991. Regeneration of lateral line and inner ear vestibular hair cells. In: BockG, WhelanJ, editors. Regeneration of vertebrate sensory receptor cells. New York: Wiley and Jones. p 151–170. .
- 1998. The avian inner ear. Continuous production of hair cells in vestibular sensory organs, but not in the auditory papilla. Naturwissenschaften 75: 319–320. , .
- 1989. Cell production in the chicken cochlea. J Comp Neurol 281: 129–135. , .
- 1997. Cell death, cell proliferation, and estimates of hair cell life spans in the vestibular organs of chicks. Hear Res 114: 117–126. , , .
- 1995. Asymmetric segregation of Numb and Prospero during cell division. Nature 377: 624–627. , , .
- 2000. Expression of Math1 and HES5 in the cochleae of wildtype and Jag2 mutant mice. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 161–171. , , , , .
- 1990. The expression and post-translational modification of a neuron-specific beta-tubulin isotype during chick embryogenesis. Cell Motil Cytoskel 17: 118–132. , , , , .
- 2000. Pan-neural Prospero terminates cell proliferation during Drosophila neurogenesis. Genes Dev 14: 147–151. , .
- 1997. Inscuteable and staufen mediate asymmetric localization and segregation of Prospero RNA during Drosophila neuroblast cell divisions. Cell 90: 437–447. , , , , .
- 1999. Prospero distinguishes sibling cell fate without asymmetric localization in the Drosophila adult external sense organ lineage. Development 126: 2063–2071. , .
- 1992. Cloning of the Drosophila prospero gene and its expression in ganglion mother cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 182: 1326–1332. , , , , .
- 2001. Superactivation of Pax6-mediated transactivation from paired domain-binding sites by dna-independent recruitment of different homeodomain proteins. J Biol Chem 276: 4109–4118. , , , .
- 2000. To differentiate or not to differentiate? Curr Biol 10: R302–R304. , .
- 1999. Growth factor regulation of the cell cycle in developing and mature inner ear sensory epithelia. J Neurocytol 28: 877–887. , .
- 1993. Postnatal production of supporting cells in the chick cochlea. Hear Res 66: 213–224. , .
- 1993. Prox 1, a prospero-related homeobox gene expressed during mouse development. Mech Dev 44: 3–16. , , , , , .
- 2002. Lymphatic endothelial reprogramming of vascular endothelial cells by the Prox-1 homeobox transcription factor. EMBO J 21: 4593–4599. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Unique expression patterns of cell fate molecules delineate sequential stages of dentate gyrus development. J Neurosci 20: 6095–6105. , , .
- 1992. Evidence for supporting cell mitosis in response to acoustic trauma in the avian inner ear. J Neurocytol 21: 663–671. .
- 1999. Sibling cell fate in the Drosophila adult external sense organ lineage is specified by prospero function, which is regulated by Numb and Notch. Development 126: 2083–2092. , .
- 1992. Ongoing production of sensory cells in the vestibular epithelium of the chick. Hear Res 57: 166–174. , , , .
- 1996. Light microscopic evidence that direct transdifferentiation gives rise to new hair cells in regenerating avian auditory epithelium. Aud Neurosci 2: 195–205. , , .
- 2000. Effect of violation of the labyrinth on the sensory epithelium in the chick cochlea. Hear Res 141: 155–164. , , , .
- 1967. Development of the inner ear of the mouse. A radioautographic study of terminal mitosis. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 220: 1–44. .
- 1988. Hair cell regeneration after acoustic trauma in adult Coturnix quail. Science 240: 1774–1776. , .
- 1994. Mutations affecting the pattern of the PNS in Drosophila reveal novel aspects of neuronal development. Neuron 13: 269–287. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Miranda mediates asymmetric protein and RNA localization in the developing nervous system. Genes Dev 12: 1847–1857. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of proneural and neurogenic genes in the embryonic mammalian vestibular system. J Neurocytol 28: 809–819. , , , , , .
- 1997. Miranda is required for the asymmetric localization of Prospero during mitosis in Drosophila. Cell 90: 449–458. , , .
- 1998. Miranda as a multidomain adapter linking apically localized Inscuteable and basally localized Staufen and Prospero during asymmetric cell division in Drosophila. Genes Dev 12: 1837–1846. , , , , , .
- 1990. SEM analysis of the developing tectorial membrane in the chick cochlea. Hear Res 47: 147–157. , .
- 1999. Functional recovery in the avian ear after hair cell regeneration. Audiol Neurootol 4: 286–302. .
- 2000. Hepatocyte migration during liver development requires Prox1. Nat Genet 25: 254–255. , , .
- 1995. The prospero transcription factor is asymmetrically localized to the cell cortex during neuroblast mitosis in Drosophila. Development 121: 3187–3195. , .
- 1998. Biochemical analysis of Prospero protein during asymmetric cell division: cortical Prospero is highly phosphorylated relative to nuclear Prospero. Dev Biol 204: 478–487. , , , , , .
- 1994. Identification of the timing of S phase and the patterns of cell proliferation during hair cell regeneration in the chick cochlea. J Comp Neurol 341: 50–67. , .
- 1999. Delta1 expression during avian hair cell regeneration. Development 126: 961–973. , .
- 2000a. Avian auditory hair cell regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 11714–11721. , .
- 2000b. Temporal, spatial, and morphological features of hair cell regeneration in the avian basilar papilla. J Comp Neurol 417: 1–16. , .
- 1996. Hair cell differentiation in chick cochlear epithelium after aminoglycoside toxicity: in vivo and in vitro observations. J Neurosci 16: 6157–6174. , , , .
- 1999. Progenitor cell cycling during hair cell regeneration in the vestibular and auditory epithelia of the chick. J Neurocytol 28: 863–876. , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of Prox1 defines regions of the avian otocyst that give rise to sensory or neural cells. J Comp Neurol 460: 487–502. , , .
- 1996. Chicken homeobox gene Prox1 related to Drosophila Prospero is expressed in the developing lens and retina. Dev Dyn 206: 354–367. , , , , , .
- 1998. Characterization of the mouse Prox1 gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 248: 684–689. , , , .
- 1999. Transcription factors Mash-1 and Prox-1 delineate early steps in differentiation of neural stem cells in the developing central nervous system. Development 126: 443–456. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Prospero is expressed in neuronal precursors and encodes a nuclear protein that is involved in the control of axonal outgrowth in Drosophila. Cell 67: 941–953. , , , , , .
- 1998. Phosphorylation of histone H3 at serine 10 is correlated with chromosome condensation during mitosis and meiosis in Tetrahymena. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 7480–7484. , , , , .
- 1994. Cloning of cDNAs for M-phase phosphoproteins recognized by the MPM2 monoclonal antibody and determination of the phosphorylated epitope. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 714–718. , , .
- 1999. Prox1 function is required for the development of the murine lymphatic system. Cell 98: 769–778. , .
- 1999. Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongation. Nat Genet 21: 318–322. , , , .
- 2002. An essential role for Prox1 in the induction of the lymphatic endothelial cell phenotype. EMBO J 21: 1505–1513. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Proliferation of vertebrate inner ear supporting cells. J Neurobiol 39: 527–535. , , .
- 2000. Overlapping activators and repressors delimit transcriptional response to receptor tyrosine kinase signals in the Drosophila eye. Cell 103: 87–97. , , , , .
- 2000. Overexpression of Math1 induces robust production of extra hair cells in postnatal rat inner ears. Nat Neurosci 3: 580–586. , .
- 2000. Hes1 is a negative regulator of inner ear hair cell differentiation. Development 127: 4551–4560. , , , , .
- 2001. Hes1 and Hes5 activities are required for the normal development of the hair cells in the mammalian inner ear. J Neurosci 21: 4712–4720. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Structure and chromosomal localization of the human homeobox gene Prox 1. Genomics 35: 517–522. , , , , , .