Patterns & Phenotypes
Organization of fibroblasts in the heart
Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 230, Issue 4, pages 787–794, August 2004
How to Cite
Goldsmith, E. C., Hoffman, A., Morales, M. O., Potts, J. D., Price, R. L., McFadden, A., Rice, M. and Borg, T. K. (2004), Organization of fibroblasts in the heart. Dev. Dyn., 230: 787–794. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20095
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 9 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 10 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Received: 23 DEC 2003
- American Heart Association Mid-Atlantic Affiliate. Grant Number: 0060217U
- University of South Carolina School of Medicine Research and Development Fund
- National Institutes of Health COBRE program. Grant Number: P20-RR16434
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HL37669, HL59981, HL68038
- 1995. Distinct structural characteristics of discoidin I subfamily receptor tyrosine kinases and complementary expression in human cancer. Oncogene 10: 609–618. , , , , , .
- 1995. Collagen turnover and its regulation in the normal and hypertrophying heart. Eur Heart J 16C: 38–44. , .
- 1982. Development of the connective tissue network in the neonatal hamster heart. Am J Anat 165: 435–445. .
- 1981. The collagen matrix of the heart. Fed Proc 40: 2037–2041. , .
- 1983. Specific attachment of collagen to cardiac myocytes: in vivo and in vitro. Dev Biol 97: 417–423. , , .
- 1984. Recognition of extracellular matrix components by neonatal and adult cardiac myocytes. Dev Biol 104: 86–96. , , , , .
- 1985. Alteration of the connective tissue network of striated muscle in copper deficient rats. J Mol Cell Cardiol 17: 1173–1183. , , , , .
- 1993. Expression and accumulation of interstitial collagen in the neonatal rat heart. Anat Rec 236: 511–520. , , .
- 1979. The collagen network of the heart. Lab Invest 40: 364–372. , .
- 2001. Discoidin domain receptors and their ligand, collagen, are temporally regulated in fetal rat fibroblasts in vitro. Plast Reconstr Surg 107: 769–776. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The role of matrix metalloproteinases in heart disease. Cardiovasc Res 32: 816–821. .
- 1999. Connexin45 (α6) expression delineates an extended conduction system in the embryonic and mature rodent heart. Dev Genet 24: 82–90. , , .
- 2003. IGF-1 modulation of rat cardiac fibroblast behavior and gene expression is age dependent. Cell Adhes Commun 10: 1–11. , , , , .
- 2000. Cell coupling, CX43, expression and fibroblast populated collagen lattice contraction. J Cell Physiol 184: 86–92. , , .
- 1993. The spatial distribution and relative abundance of gap-junctional connexin40 and connexin43 correlate to functional properties of components of the cardiac atrioventricular conduction system. J Cell Sci 105: 985–991. , , , , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast-collagen matrix contraction: growth factor signaling and mechanical loading. Trends Cell Biol 10: 362–365. .
- 2003. Coupling of cardiac electrical activity over extended distances by fibroblasts of cardiac origin. Circ Res 93: 421–428. , , , .
- 1993. A receptor tyrosine kinase found in breast carcinoma cells has an extracellular discoidin I-like domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 5677–5681. , , .
- 1991. An extended family of protein-tyrosine kinase genes differentially expressed in the vertebrate nervous system. Neuron 6: 691–704. , .
- 1994. Structure and expression of the Tyro 10 receptor tyrosine kinase. Oncogene 9: 877–883. , .
- 1997. Laminar structure of the heart: a mathematical model. American Journal of Physiology 272(Pt 2): H2466–H2476. , , .
- 1984. Embryonic lethal mutation in mouse collagen I gene causes rupture of blood vessels and is associated with erythropoietic and mesenchymal cell death. Cell 38: 597–607. , , .
- 2002. Gene expression in fibroblasts and fibrosis. Circ Res 91: 1103–1113. , , .
- 2001. Integrins and the myocardium (invited review). Circ Res 88: 1112–1119. , .
- 1997. Direct binding and activation of receptor tyrosine kinases by collagen. Cell 91: 869–872. .
- 1997. An orphan receptor tyrosine kinase family whose members serve as non-integrin collagen receptors. Mol Cell 1: 25–34. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fibroblasts as sentinel cells. Synthesis of chemokines and regulation of inflammation. Am J Pathol 151: 317–322. , , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinases: regulation and dysregulation in the failing heart. Circ Res 90: 520–530. .
- 1998. Time-dependent changes in matrix metalloproteinase activity and expression during the progression of congestive heart failure. Circ Res 82: 482–495. , , , , , .
- 1995. Identification and characterization of a fibroblast marker: FSP1. J Cell Biol 130: 393–405. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cardiac gap junction channels: modulation of expression and channel properties. Cardiovasc Res 51: 217–229. , , .
- 1997. The discoidin domain receptor tyrosine kinases are activated by collagen. Mol Cell 1: 13–23. , , , .
- 1989. Cardiac interstitium in health and disease: the fibrillar collagen network. J Am Coll Cardiol 13: 1637–1652. .