Role of Sonic hedgehog in patterning of tracheal–bronchial cartilage and the peripheral lung
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 57–71, September 2004
How to Cite
Miller, L.-A. D., Wert, S. E., Clark, J. C., Xu, Y., Perl, A.-K. T. and Whitsett, J. A. (2004), Role of Sonic hedgehog in patterning of tracheal–bronchial cartilage and the peripheral lung. Dev. Dyn., 231: 57–71. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20105
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 6 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Received: 10 NOV 2003
- National Institutes of Health
- National Heart Lung Blood Institute. Grant Numbers: HL56387, HL75770
- Albert J. Ryan Fellowship
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog rescues cranial nerual crest from cell death induced by ethanol exposure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 10476–10481. , , .
- 1999. Fgfr2 is required for limb outgrowth and lung-branching morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 11895–11899. , , , .
- 1997a. Involvement of Sonic Hedgehog (Shh) in mouse embryonic lung growth and morphogenesis. Development 124: 53–63. , , , , , .
- 1997b. Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) and branching morphogenesis in the embryonic mouse lung. Development 124: 4867–4878. , , , , .
- 1999. Sonic Hedgehog controls epaxial muscle determination through Myf5 activation. Development 126: 4053–4063. , , , , ,
- 2000. Life, death and Sonic Hedgehog. Bioessays 22: 499–502. , , .
- 2003. Feedback control of mammalian Hedgehog signaling by the Hedgehog-binding protein Hip1, modulates Fgf signaling during branching morphogenesis of the lung. Genes Dev 17: 342–347. , , .
- 2001. FGF-10 disrupts lung morphogenesis and causes pulmonary adenomas in vivo. Am J Physiol 280: L705–L715. , , , , , , .
- 1999a. Esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula: suggested mechanism in faulty organogenesis. J Pediatr Surg 34: 204–208. , , , , , , , .
- 1999b. TTF-1 and HNF-3β in the developing tracheoesophageal fistula: further evidence for the respiratory origin of the ‘Distal Esophagus.’ J Pediatr Surg 34: 1322–1326. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Defective fibroblast growth factor signaling allows for non-branching growth of the respiratory-derived fistula tract in esophageal atresia with tracheoesophageal fistula. J Pediatr Surg 35: 1421–1425. , , ,
- 2003. TTF-1 phosphorylation is required for peripheral lung morphogenesis, perinatal survival, and tissue specific gene expression. J Biol Chem 278: 35574–35583. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Versatile roles for sonic hedgehog in gut development. J Gastroenterol 37: 239–246. , .
- 1997. Altered neural cell fates and medulloblastoma in mouse patched mutants. Science 277: 1109–1113. , , , .
- 1999. Overexpression of Ptch1 inhibits induction of Shh target genes and prevents normal patterning in the neural tube. Dev Biol 211: 323–334. , , , .
- 2002. Mesenchymal expression of vascular endothelial growth factors D and A defines vascular patterning in developing lung. Dev Dyn 224: 144–153. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Evidence for the involvement of the Gli gene family in embryonic mouse lung development. Dev Biol 188: 337–348. , , , .
- 2001. The whereabouts of a morphogen: direct evidence for a short- and graded long-range activity of Hedgehog signaling peptides. Dev Biol 236: 364–386. , , , .
- 1997. The world according to hedgehog. Trends Genet 13: 14–21. , , .
- 1994. Expression of three mouse homologues of the Drosophila segment polarity gene Cubitus interruptus, Gli, Gli-2, and Gli-3, in ectoderm and mesoderm-derived tissues suggests multiple roles during postimplantation development. Dev Biol 162: 402–413. , , , , .
- 1995. Signaling by hedgehog family proteins in Drosophila and vertebrate development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 5: 492–498. .
- 2001. Hedgehog signaling in animal development: paradigms and principles. Genes Dev 15: 3059–3087. , .
- 2003. Role of Sonic Hedgehog in the development of the trachea and oesophagus. J Pediatr Surg 38: 29–36. , , , .
- 2001a. The VACTERL association: lessons from the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Clin Genet 59: 306–315. , , .
- 2001b. Murine models of VACTERL syndrome: role of Sonic hedgehog signaling pathway. J Pediatr Surg 36: 381–384. , , .
- 2001. Cholesterol modification of sonic hedgehog is required for long-range signaling activity and effective modulation of signaling by Ptch1. Cell 105: 599–612. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is essential to foregut development. Nat Genet 20: 58–61. , , , .
- 2000. More surprises in the Hedgehog signaling pathway. Cell 100: 185–188. .
- 1994. Function of retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development: II. Multiple abnormalities at various stages of organogenesis in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2749–2771. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Immunolocalization of Sonic Hedgehog (Shh) in developing mouse lung. J Histochem Cytochem 49: 1593–1603. , , .
- 1998. Fgf-10 is required for both limb and lung development and exhibits striking functional similarity to Drosophila branchless. Genes Dev 12: 3156–3161. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Human developmental disorders and the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Mol Med Today 4: 343–349. , , .
- 1998. Essential function of Gli2 and Gli3 in the formation of lung, trachea and oesophagus. Nat Genet 20: 54–57. , , , , , .
- 2001. Clinical aspects of disrupted Hedgehog signaling (review). Int J Mol Med 8: 445–452. , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse Gli1 mutants are viable but have defects in SHH signaling in combination with a Gli2 mutation. Development 127: 1593–1605. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog regulates branching morphogenesis in the mammalian lung. Curr Biol 8: 1083–1086. , , .
- 2002. Early restriction of peripheral and proximal cell lineages during formation of the lung. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 10482–10487. , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of the mouse Gli and Ptch genes is adjacent to embryonic sources of hedgehog signals suggesting a conservation of pathways between flies and mice. Mech Dev 62: 121–135. , , .
- 2000. Role of cholesterol in embryonic development. Am J Clin Nutr 71: 1270S–1279S. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formation. Nat Genet 21: 138–141. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003a. A role for sonic hedgehog signaling in the pathogenesis of human tracheoesophageal fistula. J Pediatr Surg 38: 465–468. , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Fibroblast growth factor signaling in the developing tracheoesophageal fistula. J Pediatr Surg 38: 474–477. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Indian hedgehog signalling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formation. Genes Dev 13: 2072–2086. , , .
- 1998. The relationships between notochord and floor plate in vertebrate development revisited. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 11733–11738. , , .
- 1991. Lung development in the mouse embryo. Exp Lung Res 17: 111–130. .
- 2000. Conditional expression of fibroblast growth factor-7 in the developing and mature lung. J Biol Chem 275: 11858–11864. , , .
- 2003. Down-regulation of Sonic Hedgehog expression in pulmonary hypoplasia is associated with congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Am J Pathol 162: 547–555. , , , .
- 1996. Spatial expression of Sonic Hedgehog in the lung epithelium during branching morphogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 225: 161–166. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hedgehog signaling within airway epithelial progenitors and in small-cell lung cancer. Nature 422: 313–317. , , , , , .
- 2003. Tissue interactions pattern the mesenchyme of the embryonic mouse lung. Dev Biol 258: 169–184. , , .
- 1993. Transcriptional elements from the human SP-C gene direct expression in the primordial respiratory epithelium of transgenic mice. Dev Biol 156: 426–443. , , , .
- WilkinsonDG (editor). 1998. In situ Hybridization: A Practical Approach. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog regulates proliferation and differentiation of mesenchymal cells in the mouse metanephric kidney. Development 129: 5301–5312. , , .