Patterns & Phenotypes
Matrix metalloproteinase genes in Xenopus development
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 214–220, September 2004
How to Cite
Harrison, M., Abu-Elmagd, M., Grocott, T., Yates, C., Gavrilovic, J. and Wheeler, G. N. (2004), Matrix metalloproteinase genes in Xenopus development. Dev. Dyn., 231: 214–220. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20113
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 17 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 2004
- BBSRC. Grant Number: 83/G15793
- 1997. ADAM 13: a novel ADAM expressed in somitic mesoderm and neural crest cells during Xenopus laevis development. Dev Biol 182: 314–330. , , , .
- 2001. Xenopus ADAM 13 is a metalloprotease required for cranial neural crest-cell migration. Curr Biol 11: 918–930. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Searching for phylogenetic trees under the frequency parsimony criterion: an approximation using generalized parsimony. Syst Biol 46: 211–215. , .
- 1998. The expression pattern of thyroid hormone response genes in the tadpole tail identifies multiple resorption programs. Dev Biol 203: 12–23. , , .
- 1992. The matrix metalloprotease matrilysin (PUMP) is expressed in developing human mononuclear phagocytes. J Biol Chem 267: 9087–9092. , , , , , .
- 2002. Synthetic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor decreases early cardiac neural crest migration in chicken embryos. Dev Dyn 224: 441–449. , .
- 2000. MMP-2 expression during early avian cardiac and neural crest morphogenesis. Anat Rec 259: 168–179. , , , , .
- 2000. Xenopus laevis gelatinase B (Xmmp-9): development, regeneration, and wound healing. Dev Dyn 217: 377–387. , , .
- 2000. Distinct origins of adult and embryonic blood in Xenopus. Cell 102: 787–796. , , .
- 2000. Differential regulation of three thyroid hormone-responsive matrix metalloproteinase genes implicates distinct functions during frog embryogenesis. FASEB J 14: 503–510. , , , .
- 2001. Overexpression of matrix metalloproteinases leads to lethality in transgenic Xenopus laevis: implications for tissue-dependent functions of matrix metalloproteinases during late embryonic development. Dev Dyn 221: 37–47. , , , , .
- 2004. MMP-2 plays an essential role in producing epithelial-mesenchymal transformations in the avian embryo. Dev Dyn 229: 42–53. , .
- 1962. Collagenolytic activity in amphibian tissues: a tissue culture assay. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 48: 1014–1022. , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1999. MT1-MMP-deficient mice develop dwarfism, osteopenia, arthritis, and connective tissue disease due to inadequate collagen turnover. Cell 99: 81–92. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinases mediate the dismantling of mesenchymal structures in the tadpole tail during thyroid hormone-induced tail resorption. Dev Dyn 223: 402–413. , , , .
- 1995. Dorsal-ventral patterning and differentiation of noggin-induced neural tissue in the absence of mesoderm. Development 121: 1927–1935. , , , .
- 2002. Matrilysin shedding of syndecan-1 regulates chemokine mobilization and transepithelial efflux of neutrophils in acute lung injury. Cell 111: 635–646. , , , .
- 1993. Mouse gelatinase B. cDNA cloning, regulation of expression and glycosylation in WEHI-3 macrophages and gene organisation. Eur J Biochem 218: 129–141. , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanisms for pro matrix metalloproteinase activation. APMIS 107: 38–44. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Association of matrilysin expression with progression and poor prognosis in human pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Oncol Rep 9: 751–755. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). New York: Garlan Publishing. , .
- 2003. Drosophila matrix metalloproteinases are required for tissue remodeling, but not embryonic development. Dev Cell 4: 95–106. , , , .
- 2001. Matrix metalloproteinases in lung biology. Respir Res 2: 10–19. , .
- 1995. Transcriptional activation of the matrix metalloproteinase gene stromelysin-3 coincides with thyroid hormone-induced cell death during frog metamorphosis. Dev Biol 167: 252–262. , , .
- 1996. Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases (MT-MMPs) in tumor metastasis. J Biochem (Tokyo) 119: 209–215. , .
- 2003. Structural determinants of procryptdin recognition and cleavage by matrix metalloproteinase-7. J Biol Chem 278: 7910–7919. , , , , , .
- 2002. XPOX2-peroxidase expression and the XLURP-1 promoter reveal the site of embryonic myeloid cell development in Xenopus. Mech Dev 117: 173–186. , , , , .
- 2001. How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 463–516. , .
- 1996. Identification and characterization of a novel collagenase in Xenopus laevis: possible roles during frog development. Mol Biol Cell 7: 1471–1483. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Embryonic expression patterns of Xenopus syndecans. Mech Dev 59: 115–127. , .
- 1998. Differential expression and origin of membrane-type 1 and 2 matrix metalloproteinases (MT-MMPs) in association with MMP2 activation in injured human livers. Am J Pathol 153: 945–954. , , , , .
- 1994. CLUSTALW: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 2002. Matrilysin (matrix metalloproteinase-7) selects for apoptosis-resistant mammary cells in vivo. Cancer Res 62: 5559–5563. , , , .
- 1997. Cleavage of beta 4 integrin by matrilysin. Exp Cell Res 236: 341–345. , , , .
- 1998. MMP-9/gelatinase B is a key regulator of growth plate angiogenesis and apoptosis of hypertrophic chondrocytes. Cell 93: 411–422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The metalloproteinase matrilysin is preferentially expressed by epithelial cells in a tissue-restricted pattern in the mouse. Mol Biol Cell 6: 851–869. , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of intestinal alpha-defensin activation by the metalloproteinase matrilysin in innate host defense. Science 286: 113–117. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Metalloproteinase expression in PMA-stimulated THP-1 cells. Effects of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR gamma) agonists and 9-cis-retinoic acid. J Biol Chem 278: 51340–51346. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A novel matrix metalloproteinase gene (XMMP) encoding vitronectin-like motifs is transiently expressed in Xenopus laevis early embryo development. J Biol Chem 272: 13527–13533. , , .
- 2001. Metalloproteinases in biology and pathology of the nervous system. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 502–511. , , , .
- 2000. Progesterone inhibits activation of latent matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 by membrane-type 1 MMP: enzymes coordinately expressed in human endometrium. Biol Reprod 62: 85–94. , , , .
- 2003a. The expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2 (TIMP-2) is required for normal development of zebrafish embryos. Dev Genes Evol 213: 382–389. , , , ,
- 2003b. The expression of gelatinase A (MMP-2) is required for normal development of zebrafish embryos. Dev Genes Evol 213: 456–463. , , , ,
- 2003c. The expression of novel membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase isoforms is required for normal development of zebrafish embryos. Matrix Biol 22: 279–293. , , , ,