Entire mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway is present in preimplantation mouse embryos
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 72–87, September 2004
How to Cite
Wang, Y., Wang, F., Sun, T., Trostinskaia, A., Wygle, D., Puscheck, E. and Rappolee, D. A. (2004), Entire mitogen activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway is present in preimplantation mouse embryos. Dev. Dyn., 231: 72–87. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20114
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 15 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 19 DEC 2003
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Grant Number: R01 HD40972A
- NASA. Grant Number: NAG1503-2
- 1999. Two co-existing mechanisms for nuclear import of MAP kinase: passive diffusion of a monomer and active transport of a dimer. EMBO J 18: 5347–5358. , , .
- 2000. Nuclear export of MAP kinase (ERK) involves a MAP kinase kinase (MEK)-dependent active transport mechanism. J Cell Biol 148: 849–856. , , .
- 1994. Raf meets Ras: completing the framework of a signal transduction pathway. Trends Biochem Sci 19: 279–283. , , .
- 1992. The FGF family of growth factors and oncogenes. Adv Cancer Res 59: 115–165. , .
- 1989. Genes for extracellular-matrix-degrading metalloproteinases and their inhibitor, TIMP, are expressed during early mammalian development. Genes Dev 3: 848–859. , , , , .
- 1998. FGF is an essential regulator of the fifth cell division in preimplantation mouse embryos. Dev Biol 198: 105–115. , , , , , .
- 1993. Cytoplasmic to nuclear signal transduction by mitogen-activated protein kinase and 90 kDa ribosomal S6 kinase. Biochem Soc Trans 21: 895–900. , , , .
- 1998. Mammalian Grb2 regulates multiple steps in embryonic development and malignant transformation. Cell 95: 793–803. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Developmental expression of myeloid leukemia inhibitory factor gene in preimplantation blastocysts and in extraembryonic tissue of mouse embryos. Mol Cell Biol 10: 3801–3805. , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal patterns of ERK signaling during mouse embryogenesis. Development 130: 4527–4537. , , , .
- 1995. Isolation of MEK5 and differential expression of alternatively spliced forms. J Biol Chem 270: 28897–28902. , , , , .
- 1988. Isolation and complete sequence of a functional human glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene. J Biol Chem 263: 15335–15341. , , , .
- 1994. Binding of 14-3-3 proteins to the protein kinase Raf and effects on its activation. Science 265: 1713–1716. , , , , .
- 1997a. CRM1 is responsible for intracellular transport mediated by the nuclear export signal. Nature 390: 308–311. , , , , , , .
- 1997b. A novel regulatory mechanism in the mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase cascade. Role of nuclear export signal of MAP kinase kinase. J Biol Chem 272: 32642–32648. , , , , .
- 1993. Establishment and characterization of first trimester human trophoblast cells with extended lifespan. Exp Cell Res 206: 204–211. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Critical role for the docking-protein FRS2 alpha in FGF receptor-mediated signal transduction pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 8578–8583. , , , , .
- 1998. MAP kinase cascade, but not ERKs, activated during early cleavage of mouse embryos. Mol Reprod Dev 51: 148–155. , , .
- 1999. Phosphate exposure during the late 1-cell and early 2-cell stages induces a time-specific decrease in cyclin B and cdc25B mRNAs in AKR/N mouse embryos in vitro. Zygote 7: 87–93. , , .
- 2002. Manipulating the mouse embryo, a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , , .
- 1997. Grb2-associated binder-1 mediates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activation and the promotion of cell survival by nerve growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 12419–12424. , , , , .
- 1999. Nuclear translocation of mitogen-activated protein kinase p42MAPK during the ongoing cell cycle. J Cell Physiol 180: 325–333. , , , , .
- 1989. Calyculin A and okadaic acid: inhibitors of protein phosphatase activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 159: 871–877. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade during early embryo development in the mouse. Reprod Fertil Dev 12: 209–214. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Preimplantation-embryo-specific cell cycle regulation is attributed to the low expression level of retinoblastoma protein. FEBS Lett 526: 119–123. , , , .
- 1993. Structural and functional diversity in the FGF receptor multigene family. Adv Cancer Res 60: 1–41. , .
- 1999. Activation of the protein kinase ERK5/BMK1 by receptor tyrosine kinases. Identification and characterization of a signaling pathway to the nucleus. J Biol Chem 274: 26563–26571. , , .
- 1997. A lipid-anchored Grb2-binding protein that links FGF-receptor activation to the Ras/MAPK signaling pathway. Cell 89: 693–702. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Requirement for Ras in Raf activation is overcome by targeting Raf to the plasma membrane. Nature 369: 411–414. , , .
- 1998. Signal transduction through MAP kinase cascades. Adv Cancer Res 74: 49–139. , , .
- 2002. Cloning of the mouse Sef gene and comparative analysis of its expression with Fgf8 and Spry2 during embryogenesis. Mech Dev 113: 163–168. , , , , , .
- 2001. FGF-induced lens cell proliferation and differentiation is dependent on MAPK (ERK1/2) signalling. Development 128: 5075–5084. , .
- 1992. The SH2 and SH3 domain-containing protein GRB2 links receptor tyrosine kinases to ras signaling. Cell 70: 431–442. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Specificity of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling: transient versus sustained extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation. Cell 80: 179–185. .
- 1999. Vertebrate Sprouty genes are induced by FGF signaling and can cause chondrodysplasia when overexpressed. Development 126: 4465–4475. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The 3Rs of life: Ras, Raf and growth regulation. Trends Genet 10: 44–48. , .
- 2002. The two hats of SOS. Sci STKE 2002: PE36. , .
- 1991. Cerebral ischemia induces transient intracellular redistribution and intranuclear translocation of the raf proto-oncogene product in hippocampal pyramidal cells. Exp Brain Res 84: 403–410. , , , , , .
- 1994. Oct-4 transcription factor is differentially expressed in the mouse embryo during establishment of the first two extraembryonic cell lineages involved in implantation. Dev Biol 166: 259–267. , , , .
- 2000. Trophoblast differentiation. An in vitro model for trophoblast giant cell development. Methods Mol Biol 137: 301–311. , , .
- 2002a. The intracellular pH-regulatory HCO3-/Cl- exchanger in the mouse oocyte is inactivated during first meiotic metaphase and reactivated after egg activation via the MAP kinase pathway. Mol Biol Cell 13: 3800–3810. , , , .
- 2002b. Inhibition of MEK or cdc2 kinase parthenogenetically activates mouse eggs and yields the same phenotypes as Mos(-/-) parthenogenotes. Dev Biol 247: 210–223. , , , , , .
- 1993. SNT, a differentiation-specific target of neurotrophic factor-induced tyrosine kinase activity in neurons and PC12 cells. Mol Cell Biol 13: 2203–2213. , , .
- 2003. Signal transduction. In: KrawetzS, WombleD, editors. Introduction to bioinformatics: a theoretical and practical approach. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. p 55–71. .
- 1988. Developmental expression of PDGF, TGF-alpha, and TGF-beta genes in preimplantation mouse embryos. Science 241: 1823–1825. , , , , .
- 1989. Novel method for studying mRNA phenotypes in single or small numbers of cells. J Cell Biochem 39: 1–11. , , , .
- 1994. Expression and function of FGF-4 in peri-implantation development in mouse embryos. Development 120: 2259–2269. , , , .
- 1988. Characterization of insulin-stimulated microtubule-associated protein kinase. Rapid isolation and stabilization of a novel serine/threonine kinase from 3T3-L1 cells. J Biol Chem 263: 12721–12727. , .
- 2002. Erk5 null mice display multiple extraembryonic vascular and embryonic cardiovascular defects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 9248–9253. , , , , , .
- 2000. Integrating the MAP kinase signal into the G1 phase cell cycle machinery. Bioessays 22: 818–826. , .
- 1999. Mitogen-activated protein kinases: specific messages from ubiquitous messengers. Mol Cell Biol 19: 2435–2444. , .
- 1986. Utilization of genetic information in the preimplantation mouse embryo. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. p 239–265. .
- 1992. Signal transduction within the nucleus by mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 267: 24796–24804. , , , , .
- 1998. Promotion of trophoblast stem cell proliferation by FGF4. Science 282: 2072–2075. , , , , .
- 2003. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway by keratinocyte growth factor or fibroblast growth factor-10 promotes cell proliferation in human endometrial carcinoma cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 773–780. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Targeted disruption of mouse EGF receptor: effect of genetic background on mutant phenotype. Science 269: 230–234. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A genome-wide study of gene activity reveals developmental signaling pathways in the preimplantation mouse embryo. Dev Cell 6: 133–134. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Signal transduction by MAP kinases: regulation by phosphorylation-dependent switches. Sci STKE 1999: PE1. , .
- 2000. Control of the eukaryotic cell cycle by MAP kinase signaling pathways. FASEB J 14: 2147–2157. , .
- 2004. Six post-implantation lethal knockouts of genes for lipophilic MAPK pathway proteins are expressed in preimplantation mouse embryos and trophoblast stem cells. Mol Reprod Devel (in press). , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation and interaction of pp90(rsk) isoforms with mitogen-activated protein kinases. J Biol Chem 271: 29773–29779. , , .
- 1995. Components of a new human protein kinase signal transduction pathway. J Biol Chem 270: 12665–12669. , , .