Modulation of activin/bone morphogenetic protein signaling by follistatin is required for the morphogenesis of mouse molar teeth
Version of Record online: 29 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 98–108, September 2004
How to Cite
Wang, X.-P., Suomalainen, M., Jorgez, C. J., Matzuk, M. M., Wankell, M., Werner, S. and Thesleff, I. (2004), Modulation of activin/bone morphogenetic protein signaling by follistatin is required for the morphogenesis of mouse molar teeth. Dev. Dyn., 231: 98–108. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20118
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2004
- Version of Record online: 29 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2004
- Finnish Academy
- Sigrid Juselius Foundation
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: HD32067
- 1997. Expression patterns of bone morphogenetic proteins (Bmps) in the developing mouse tooth suggest roles in morphogenesis and cell differentiation. Dev Dyn 210: 383–396. , , .
- 2002. Extracellular regulation of BMP signaling in vertebrates: a cocktail of modulators. Dev Biol 250: 231–250. , .
- 1984. Cellular changes at the level of the outer enamel epithelium during vascularization of the enamel organ in the rat. J Biol Buccale 12: 225–237. .
- 2000. The N-myc oncogene in human neuroblastoma cells: down-regulation of an angiogenesis inhibitor identified as activin A. Cancer Res 15: 4596–4601. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Genetic analysis of the mammalian transforming growth factor-beta superfamily. Endocr Rev 23: 787–823. , , .
- 2000. Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the tooth. Development 127: 4775–4785. , , , , .
- 1992. Activin A/erythroid differentiation factor is induced during human monocyte activation. J Exp Med 176: 1449–1452. , , , .
- 1997. The dorsalizing and neural inducing gene follistatin is an antagonist of BMP-4. Mech Dev 63: 39–50. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Activin is an essential early mesenchymal signal in tooth development that is required for patterning of the murine dentition. Genes Dev 12: 2636–2649. , , , , , .
- 1971. The tabby syndrome in the mouse. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 179: 139–156. .
- 2002. The other side of TGF-beta superfamily signal regulation: thinking outside the cell. Trends Endocrinol Metab 13: 295–299. , .
- 1997. The activin-binding protein follistatin is expressed in developing murine molar and induces odontoblast-like cell differentiation in vitro. J Dent Res 76: 1625–1636. , , , , .
- 1998. Direct binding of follistatin to a complex of bone-morphogenetic protein and its receptor inhibits ventral and epidermal cell fates in early Xenopus embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 9337–9342. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Reiterative signaling and patterning during mammalian tooth morphogenesis. Mech Dev 92: 19–29. , .
- 1998. The life history of an embryonic signaling center: BMP-4 induces p21 and is associated with apoptosis in the mouse tooth enamel knot. Development 125: 161–169. , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and function of FGFs-4, -8, and -9 suggest functional redundancy and repetitive use as epithelial signals during tooth morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 211: 256–268. , .
- 2002. FGF4, a direct target of LEF1 and Wnt signaling, can rescue the arrest of tooth organogenesis in Lef1(-/-) mice. Genes Dev 15: 3173–3185. , , , , .
- 2001. Abnormal angiogenesis but intact hematopoietic potential in TGF-beta type I receptor-deficient mice. EMBO J 20: 1663–1673. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor Edar. Development 129: 2541–2553. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of a secreted BMP antagonist, ectodin, integrating BMP, FGF, and SHH signals from the tooth enamel knot. Dev Biol 264: 91–105. , , , , .
- 1986. A homodimer of the beta-subunits of inhibin A stimulates the secretion of pituitary follicle stimulating hormone. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 138: 1129–1137. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Vascular morphogenesis: tales of two syndromes. Hum Mol Genet 12(Spec No 1): R97–R112. , , , .
- 1995a. Multiple defects and perinatal death in mice deficient in follistatin. Nature 374: 360–363. , , , , , .
- 1995b. Different phenotypes for mice deficient in either activins or activin receptor type II. Nature 374: 311–312. , , .
- 1993. Follistatins: more than follicle-stimulating hormone suppressing proteins. Mol Cell Endocrinol 91: 1–11. , , .
- 1990. Colyer's variations and diseases of the teeth of animals. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2003. Stimulation of ectodermal organ development by Ectodysplasin-A1. Dev Biol 259: 123–136. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Activin-binding protein from rat ovary is follistatin. Science 247: 836–838. , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of a nonsense mutation in the PAX9 gene in molar oligodontia. Eur J Hum Genet 9: 743–746. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The role of long range, local and direct signaling molecules during chick feather bud development involving the BMPs, follistatin and the Eph receptor tyrosine kinase Eph-A4. Mech Dev 86: 51–62. , , .
- 1999. Cusp patterning defect in Tabby mouse teeth and its partial rescue by FGF. Dev Biol 216: 521–534. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. BMP-4 affects the differentiation of metanephric mesenchyme and reveals an early anterior-posterior axis of the embryonic kidney. Dev Dyn 217: 146–158. , , , , .
- 2002. Explant cultures of embryonic epithelium. Analysis of mesenchymal signals. Methods Mol Biol 188: 373–382. , , .
- 2002. A gene network model accounting for development and evolution of mammalian teeth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 8116–8120. , .
- 2003. Developmental biology and building a tooth. Quintessence Int 34: 613–620. .
- 2002. The role of growth factors in tooth development. Int Rev Cytol 217: 93–135. , .
- 1981. Changes in the distribution of type IV collagen, laminin, proteoglycan, and fibronectin during mouse tooth development. Dev Biol 81: 182–192. , , , , , .
- 1996. The enamel knot as a signaling center in the developing mouse tooth. Mech Dev 54: 39–43. , , , , .
- 1993. Identification of BMP-4 as a signal mediating secondary induction between epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during early tooth development. Cell 75: 45–58. , , , .
- 2001. Impaired wound healing in transgenic mice overexpressing the activin antagonist follistatin in the epidermis. EMBO J 20: 5361–5372. , , , , , , .
- 1990. In situ hybridization and the three-dimensional reconstruction of serial sections. In: CoppAJ, ColeDE, editors. Postimplantation mammalian embryos. London: Oxford University Press. p 155–171. , .
- 2002. A transcriptional response to Wnt protein in human embryonic carcinoma cells. BMC Dev Biol 2: 8. , , , , .