Levels of Gli3 repressor correlate with Bmp4 expression and apoptosis during limb development
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 148–160, September 2004
How to Cite
Bastida, M. F., Delgado, M. D., Wang, B., Fallon, J. F., Fernandez-Teran, M. and Ros, M. A. (2004), Levels of Gli3 repressor correlate with Bmp4 expression and apoptosis during limb development. Dev. Dyn., 231: 148–160. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20121
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 6 APR 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAR 2004
- Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology. Grant Number: DGICYT-BFI2002-02946
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: HD32551
- 1996. Transcriptional activation of hedgehog target genes in Drosophila is mediated directly by the cubitus interruptus protein, a member of the GLI family of zinc finger DNA-binding proteins. Genes Dev 10: 2003–2013. , , .
- 2002. Mouse GLI3 regulates Fgf8 expression and apoptosis in the developing neural tube, face, and limb bud. Dev Biol 251: 320–332. , , , .
- 1997. Proteolysis that is inhibited by hedgehog targets Cubitus interruptus protein to the nucleus and converts it to a repressor. Cell 89: 1043–1053. , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of the vertebrate Gli proteins in Drosophila reveals a distribution of activator and repressor activities. Development 127: 4293–4301. , , , .
- 1989. The fate map of the chick forelimb-bud and its bearing on hypothesized developmental control mechanisms. Anat Embryol (Berl) 179: 269–283. , , , .
- 1998. Noggin, cartilage morphogenesis, and joint formation in the mammalian skeleton. Science 280: 1455–1457. , , , .
- 1997. Evidence for genetic control of Sonic hedgehog by Gli3 in mouse limb development. Mech Dev 62: 175–182. , , , .
- 1999. Constitutive activation of sonic hedgehog signaling in the chicken mutant talpid(2): Shh-independent outgrowth and polarizing activity. Dev Biol 212: 137–149. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Manifestation of the limb prepattern: limb development in the absence of sonic hedgehog function. Dev Biol 236: 421–435. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Sonic Hedgehog-induced activation of the Gli1 promoter is mediated by GLI3. J Biol Chem 274: 8143–8152. , , , , , .
- 1996. Sending and receiving the hedgehog signal: control by the Drosophila Gli protein Cubitus interruptus. Science 272: 1621–1625. , , , .
- 2000. A model for anteroposterior patterning of the vertebrate limb based on sequential long- and short-range Shh signalling and Bmp signalling. Development 127: 1337–1348. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Haploinsufficient phenotypes in Bmp4 heterozygous null mice and modification by mutations in Gli3 and Alx4. Dev Biol 188: 235–247. , , , , , .
- 1996. Activation of Fgf-4 and HoxD gene expression by BMP-2 expressing cells in the developing chick limb. Development 122: 1821–1828. , , , , .
- 1994. FGF-2: apical ectodermal ridge growth signal for chick limb development. Science 264; 104–107. , , , , , .
- 1994. Bone morphogenetic proteins and a signalling pathway that controls patterning in the developing chick limb. Development 120: 209–218. , , , .
- 1996. Role of TGF beta s and BMPs as signals controlling the position of the digits and the areas of interdigital cell death in the developing chick limb autopod. Development 122: 2349–2357. , , , , .
- 1994. The signalling molecule BMP4 mediates apoptosis in the rhombencephalic neural crest. Nature 372: 684–686. , , , .
- 2001. The whereabouts of a morphogen: direct evidence for short- and graded long-range activity of hedgehog signaling peptides. Dev Biol 236: 364–386. , , , .
- 2002. In vivo evidence that BMP signaling is necessary for apoptosis in the mouse limb. Dev Biol 249: 108–120. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1981. Control of maintenance and anteroposterior skeletal differentiation of the anterior mesenchyme of the chick wing bud by its posterior margin (the ZPA). J Embryol Exp Morphol 62: 63–82. , .
- 1993. A mouse model of greig cephalopolysyndactyly syndrome: the extra-toesJ mutation contains an intragenic deletion of the Gli3 gene. Nat Genet 3: 241–246. , .
- 1994. Expression of three mouse homologs of the Drosophila segment polarity gene cubitus interruptus, Gli, Gli-2, and Gli-3, in ectoderm- and mesoderm-derived tissues suggests multiple roles during postimplantation development. Dev Biol 162: 402–413. , , , , .
- 2001. Hedgehog signaling in animal development: paradigms and principles. Genes Dev 15: 3059–3087. , .
- 2001. Characterization of human bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-4 and -7 gene promoters: activation of BMP promoters by Gli, a sonic hedgehog mediator. Bone 29: 54–61. , .
- 1996. BMP signaling during bone pattern determination in the developing limb. Development 122: 3557–3566. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The GLI gene is a member of the Kruppel family of zinc finger proteins. Nature 332: 371–374. , , , .
- 2001. Some distal limb structures develop in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog signaling. Mech Dev 100: 45–58. , , .
- 2001. Cholesterol modification of sonic hedgehog is required for long-range signaling activity and effective modulation of signaling by Ptc1. Cell 105: 599–612. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Specification of ventral neuron types is mediated by an antagonistic interaction between Shh and Gli3. Nat Neurosci 3: 979–985. , .
- 2002. Shh and Gli3 are dispensable for limb skeleton formation but regulate digit number and identity. Nature 418: 979–983. , , , , .
- 1997. Role of BMP-2 and OP-1 (BMP-7) in programmed cell death and skeletogenesis during chick limb development. Development 124: 1109–1117. , , , , , .
- 1996. Sonic hedgehog differentially regulates expression of GLI and GLI3 during limb development. Dev Biol 180: 273–283. , , , .
- 1998. The roles of FGFs in the early development of vertebrate limbs. Genes Dev 12: 1571–1586. .
- 2000. More surprises in the Hedgehog signaling pathway. Cell 100: 185–188. .
- 1998. Morphogenesis of digits in the avian limb is controlled by FGFs, TGFbetas, and noggin through BMP signaling. Dev Biol 200: 35–45. , , , , , .
- 1999. The BMP antagonist Gremlin regulates outgrowth, chondrogenesis and programmed cell death in the developing limb. Development 126: 5515–5522. , , , , , .
- 2001. An absolute requirement for Cubitus interruptus in Hedgehog signaling. Development 128: 733–742. , .
- 2003. The amino-terminal region of Gli3 antagonizes the Shh response and acts in dorsoventral fate specification in the developing spinal cord. Dev Biol 257: 343–355. , .
- 1997. Specific and redundant functions of Gli2 and Gli3 zinc finger genes in skeletal patterning and development. Development 124: 113–123. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Manipulating gene expression with replication-competent retroviruses. Methods Cell Biol 51: 185–218. , .
- 2000. The repressor and activator forms of Cubitus interruptus control Hedgehog target genes through common generic gli-binding sites. Development 127: 2999–3007. , .
- 1996. In situ analysis of chick embryos in whole mount and tissue sections. In: Bronner-FraserM, editor. Methods in cell biology. New York: Academic Press. p 219–235. , , .
- 1994. A positive feedback loop coordinates growth and patterning in the vertebrate limb. Nature 371: 609–612. , , , .
- 2002. Coordinate regulation and synergistic actions of BMP4, SHH and FGF8 in the rostral prosencephalon regulate morphogenesis of the telencephalic and optic vesicles. Neuroscience 111: 1–17. , , .
- 2000. Mouse Gli1 mutants are viable but have defects in SHH signaling in combination with a Gli2 mutation. Development 127: 1593–1605. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. BMPs negatively regulate structure and function of the limb apical ectodermal ridge. Development 126: 883–894. , .
- 2001. BMP controls proximodistal outgrowth, via induction of the apical ectodermal ridge, and dorsoventral patterning in the vertebrate limb. Development 128: 4463–4474. , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 2000. Methods for manipulating the chick limb bud to study gene expression, tissue interactions, and patterning. Methods Mol Biol 137: 245–266. , , , .
- 2003. The chick oligozeugodactyly (ozd) mutant lacks sonic hedgehog function in the limb. Development 130: 527–537. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. The GLI-Kruppel family of human genes. Mol Cell Biol 8: 3104–3113. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Autoregulation of Shh expression and Shh induction of cell death suggest a mechanism for modulating polarising activity during chick limb development. Development 127: 4811–4823. , .
- 1992. Expression of the zinc finger gene Gli3 is affected in the morphogenetic mouse mutant extra-toes (Xt). Development 116: 799–804. , , , .
- 2000. Similar expression and regulation of Gli2 and Gli3 in the chick limb bud. Mech Dev 98: 171–174. , , .
- 1979. The zone of polarizing activity: evidence for a role in normal chick limb morphogenesis. J Embryol Exp Morphol 50: 217–233. .
- 1998. The role of Alx-4 in the establishment of anteroposterior polarity during vertebrate limb development. Development 125: 4417–4425. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Progression of vertebrate limb development through SHH-mediated counteraction of GLI3. Science 298: 827–830. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Inhibition of neuroepithelial patched-induced apoptosis by sonic hedgehog. Science 301: 843–846. , , , , , .
- 1987. Posterior apical ectodermal ridge removal in the chick wing bud triggers a series of events resulting in defective anterior pattern formation. Development 101: 501–515. , .
- 2000. Dorsoventral patterning of the telencephalon is disrupted in the mouse mutant extra-toes(J). Dev Biol 217: 254–265. , , .
- 2002. Regulation of Tbx3 expression by anteroposterior signalling in vertebrate limb development. Dev Biol 250: 251–262. , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression patterns of Notch1, Serrate1, Serrate2 and Delta1 in tissues of the developing chick limb. Mech Dev 77: 197–199. , , , .
- 1996. Identification of ArgBP1, an Arg protein tyrosine kinase binding protein that is the human homologue of a CNS-specific Xenopus gene. Oncogene 12: 1921–1929. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Hedgehog-regulated processing of Gli3 produces an anterior/posterior repressor gradient in the developing vertebrate limb. Cell 100: 423–434. , , .
- 1934. Experimental studies on the development of the wing in the embryo of Gallus domesticus. Am J Anat 54: 449–485. .
- 1987. The effect of the zone of polarizing activity (ZPA) on the anterior half of the chick wing bud. Development 99: 99–108. , .
- 1997. Relationship between dose, distance and time in Sonic Hedgehog-mediated regulation of anteroposterior polarity in the chick limb. Development 124: 4393–4404. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. BMP-2/-4 mediate programmed cell death in chicken limb buds. Development 122: 3725–3734. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A freely diffusible form of Sonic hedgehog mediates long-range signalling. Nature 411: 716–720. , , , , , .
- 1996. Requirement for BMP signaling in interdigital apoptosis and scale formation. Science 272: 738–741. , .
- 1999. Signal relay by BMP antagonism controls the SHH/FGF4 feedback loop in vertebrate limb buds. Nature 401: 598–602. , , , .