Raldh2 expression in optic vesicle generates a retinoic acid signal needed for invagination of retina during optic cup formation
Article first published online: 28 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 2, pages 270–277, October 2004
How to Cite
Mic, F. A., Molotkov, A., Molotkova, N. and Duester, G. (2004), Raldh2 expression in optic vesicle generates a retinoic acid signal needed for invagination of retina during optic cup formation. Dev. Dyn., 231: 270–277. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20128
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 APR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 2 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 16 JAN 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: EY13969
- 2000. Dorsal retinal pigment epithelium differentiation as neural retina in the microphthalmia (mi/mi) mouse. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41: 903–908. , .
- 1997. Temporally-regulated retinoic acid depletion produces specific neural crest, ocular and nervous system defects. Development 124: 3111–3121. , , .
- 2000. Families of retinoid dehydrogenases regulating vitamin A function: production of visual pigment and retinoic acid. Eur J Biochem 267: 4315–4324. .
- 2003. A newborn lethal defect due to inactivation of retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 3 is prevented by maternal retinoic acid treatment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 14036–14041. , , , , , .
- 2003. Targeted disruption of Aldh1a1 (Raldh1) provides evidence for a complex mechanism of retinoic acid synthesis in the developing retina. Mol Cell Biol 23: 4637–4648. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 6, a cytosolic retinaldehyde dehydrogenase prominently expressed in sensory neuroepithelia during development. J Biol Chem 275: 41210–41218. , , , , .
- 1999. Distinct functions for Aldh1 and Raldh2 in the control of ligand production for embryonic retinoid signaling pathways. Dev Genet 25: 353–364. , , .
- 1994. Manipulating the mouse embryo. 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. , , , .
- 2003. Optic cup morphogenesis requires pre-lens ectoderm but not lens differentiation. Dev Biol 259: 351–363. , , , .
- 2000. A retinoic acid synthesizing enzyme in ventral retina and telencephalon of the embryonic mouse. Mech Dev 95: 283–289. , , , , , .
- 1994. Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development: I. Craniofacial and skeletal abnormalities in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2723–2748. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The Rx homeobox gene is essential for vertebrate eye development. Nature 387: 603–607. , , , .
- 1991. Aldehyde dehydrogenase is a positional marker in the retina. Development 112: 693–702. , , , .
- 1992. Asymmetrical retinoic acid synthesis in the dorsoventral axis of the retina. Development 115: 371–382. , , , , .
- 2000. RALDH3, a retinaldehyde dehydrogenase that generates retinoic acid, is expressed in the ventral retina, otic vesicle and olfactory pit during mouse development. Mech Dev 97: 227–230. , , , , .
- 2002. Novel retinoic acid generating activities in the neural tube and heart identified by conditional rescue of Raldh2 null mutant mice. Development 129: 2271–2282. , , , .
- 2003. Retinoid activation of retinoic acid receptor but not retinoid X receptor is sufficient to rescue lethal defect in retinoic acid synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 7135–7140. , , , .
- 2002. Stimulation of retinoic acid production and growth by ubiquitously-expressed alcohol dehydrogenase Adh3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 5337–5342. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Systematic immunolocalization of retinoid receptors in developing and adult mouse eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42: 1312–1318. , , , .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 1999. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for early mouse post-implantation development. Nat Genet 21: 444–448. , , , .
- 2001. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for heart morphogenesis in the mouse. Development 128: 1019–1031. , , , , , .
- 1995. Six3, a murine homologue of the sine oculis gene, demarcates the most anterior border of the developing neural plate and is expressed during eye development. Development 121: 4045–4055. , , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of a retinoic acid response element-hsplacZ transgene defines specific domains of transcriptional activity during mouse embryogenesis. Genes Dev 5: 1333–1344. , , , , .
- 2003. Aldehyde dehydrogenase gene superfamily: the 2002 update. Chem Biol Interact 143: 5–22. , .
- 2000. Pax6 modulates the dorsoventral patterning of the mammalian telencephalon. J Neurosci 20: 8042–8050. , , , .
- 2000. Identification of RALDH-3, a novel retinaldehyde dehydrogenase, expressed in the ventral region of the retina. Mech Dev 98: 37–50. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoic acid in the formation of the dorsoventral retina and its central projections. Dev Biol 222: 460–470. , , .
- 1992. Whole mount in situ hybridization of vertebrate embryos. In: WilkinsonDG, editor. In situ hybridization: a practical approach. Oxford: IRL Press. p 75–83. .
- 1953. An analysis of the syndrome of malformations induced by maternal vitamin A deficiency. Effects of restoration of vitamin A at various times during gestation. Am J Anat 92: 189–217. , , .
- 2002. Molecular aspects of vertebrate retinal development. Mol Neurobiol 26: 137–152. , , .