Pluripotent neural crest stem cells in the adult hair follicle
Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 2, pages 258–269, October 2004
How to Cite
Sieber-Blum, M., Grim, M., Hu, Y.F. and Szeder, V. (2004), Pluripotent neural crest stem cells in the adult hair follicle. Dev. Dyn., 231: 258–269. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20129
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 APR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 13 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2004
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH
- USPHS. Grant Number: NS38500
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund, New York
- Charles E. Culpeper Biomedical Pilot Initiative. Grant Number: 03-128
- Ministry of Education of the Czech Republic. Grant Numbers: VZ 1111 00003-3G, LN 00A065
- 2003. Differentiating adult hippocampal stem cells into neural crest derivatives. Neuroscience 118: 1–5. , .
- 1988. Clone-forming ability and differentiation potential of migratory neural crest cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85: 5325–5329. , , .
- 1996. An isolated rat vibrissal preparation with stable responses of slowly adapting mechanoreceptors. Neurosci Lett 26: 1–4. , , , , .
- 2002. Cell-intrinsic differences between stem cells from different regions of the peripheral nervous system regulate the generation of neural diversity. Neuron 35: 643–656. , , , , .
- 1988. Cell lineage analysis reveals multipotency of some avian neural crest cells. Nature 335: 161–164. , .
- 2000. Fate of the mammalian cranial neural crest during tooth and mandibular morphogenesis. Development 127: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Modification of gene activity in mouse embryos in utero by a tamoxifen-inducible form of Cre recombinase. Curr Biol 8: 1323–1326. , , , , .
- 1988. Expression of the homeo box-containing gene En-2 delineates a specific region of the developing mouse brain. Genes Dev 2: 361–371. , , , .
- 1991. In vitro clonal analysis of progenitor cell patterns in dorsal root and sympathetic ganglia of the quail embryo. Dev Biol 147: 451–459. , , , .
- 1994. Cis-acting regulatory sequences governing Wnt1 expression in the developing mouse CNS. Development 120: 2213–2224. , , .
- 1991. Promoter traps in embryonic stem cells: a genetic screen to identify and mutate developmental genes in mice. Genes Dev 5: 1513–1523. , .
- 2001. At the roots of a never-ending cycle. Dev Cell 1: 13–25. , , , .
- 1990. Neurons and glia arise from a common progenitor in chicken optic tectum: demonstration with two retroviruses and cell type-specific antibodies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 458–462. , , , , .
- 1993. From neural crest to bowel: development of the enteric nervous system. J Neurobiol 24: 199–214. , , .
- 1997. Timing and pattern of cell fate restrictions in the neural crest lineage. Development 124: 4351–4659. , .
- 1993. Pluripotent and developmentally restricted neural crest-derived cells in posterior visceral arches. Dev Biol 156: 191–200. , .
- 1984. The differentiation in vitro of the neural crest cells of the mouse embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 84: 49–62. , .
- 1993. In vitro clonal analysis of mouse neural crest development. Dev Biol 157: 517–525. , , .
- 2002. Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vault. Dev Biol 241: 106–116. , , , , .
- 1998. POU transcription factors control expression of CNS stem cell-specific genes. Development 125: 3087–3100. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Segregation of keratinocyte colony-forming cells in the bulge of the rat vibrissa. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 7391–7395. , , .
- 2003. SOX9 exerts a bifunctional effect on type II collagen (COL2A1) expression in chondrocytes depending on the differentiation state DNA. Cell Biol 22: 119–129. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Neural crest stem cells persist in the adult gut but undergo changes in self-renewal, neuronal subtype potential, and factor responsiveness. Neuron 35: 657–669. , , , , , .
- 1998. Sox10, a novel transcription modulator in glial cells. J Neurosci 18: 237–250. , , , , .
- Le DouarinNM, KalcheimC, editors. 1999. The neural crest. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1990. Posttranslational modification of class III beta-tubulin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87: 7195–7199. , , .
- 1990. CNS stem cells express a new class of intermediate filament protein. Cell 60: 585–595. , , .
- 2003. Nestin expression in hair follicle sheath progenitor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 9958–9961. , , , , , , .
- 1997. An evolutionarily conserved region in the second intron of the human nestin gene directs gene expression to CNS progenitor cells and to early neural crest cells. Eur J Neurosci 9: 452–462. , .
- 1992. The midbrain-hindbrain phenotype of Wnt1-/Wnt1- mice results from stepwise deletion of engrailed-expressing cells by 95 days post-coitum. Cell 69: 581–595. , , , .
- 1999. WNT signaling in the control of hair growth and structure. Dev Biol 207: 133–149. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Genomic structure and restricted neural expression of the zebrafish Wnt1 (int-1) gene. EMBO J 10: 799–807. , , .
- 2003. Sox9 is required for determination of the chondrogenic cell lineage in the cranial neural crest. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 9360–9365. , , , .
- 1998. A common neural progenitor for the CNS and PNS. Dev Biol 200: 1–15. , , .
- 1993. Novel markers of melanocyte differentiation in the avian embryo. Exp Cell Res 207: 171–182. , , , .
- 2002. Dominant role of the niche in melanocyte stem-cell fate determination. Nature 416: 854–860. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Morphogenesis and renewal of hair follicles from adult multipotent stem cells. Cell 104: 233–245. , , , , .
- 2001. Transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta) mediates Schwann cell death in vitro and in vivo: examination of c-Jun activation, interactions with survival signals, and the relationship of TGFbeta-mediated death to Schwann cell differentiation. J Neurosci 21: 8572–8585. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Migration of melanoblasts into the developing murine hair follicle is accompanied by transient c-kit expression. J Histochem Cytochem 50: 751–766. , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of Wnt gene expression in developing and postnatal hair follicles and identification of Wnt5a as a target of Sonic hedgehog in hair follicle morphogenesis. Mech Dev 107: 69–82. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sox10 in an active nucleocytoplasmatic shuttle protein, and shuttling is crucial for Sox10-mediated transactivation. Mol Cell Biol 22: 5826–5834. , , , , , .
- 1993. Pluripotent neural crest cells in the developing skin of the quail embryo. Dev Biol 157: 348–358. , .
- 2002. TrkB receptor signaling is required for establishment of GABAergic synapses in the cerebellum. Nat Neurosci 5: 225–233. , , .
- 1994. Glial growth factor restricts mammalian neural crest stem cells to a glial fate. Cell 77: 349–360. , , , , .
- 1989 Commitment of neural crest cells to the sensory neuron lineage. Science 243: 1608–1611. .
- 1999. The neural crest colony assay: assessing molecular influences on development in culture. In: HaynesLW, editor. The neuron in tissue culture. New York: John Wiley and Sons Ltd. p 5–22. .
- 1980. Clonal analysis of quail neural crest cells: they are pluripotent and differentiate in vitro in the absence of noncrest cells. Dev Biol 80: 96–106. , .
- 1984 Heterogeneity among early quail neural crest cells. Brain Res 316: 241–246. , .
- 2003. Mammalian Merkel cells are neural crest derivatives In: BaumannKI, HalataZ, MollI, editors. The Merkel cell; structure-development-function-carcinogenesis. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. , , , .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 1988. Basic FGF induces neuronal differentiation, cell division, and NGF dependence in chromaffin cells: a sequence of events in sympathetic development. Neuron 1: 517–525. , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog signaling is essential for hair development. Curr Biol 8: 1058–1068. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Neural crest origin of mammalian Merkel cells. Dev Biol 253: 258–263. , , , .
- 2001. Isolation of multipotent adult stem cells from the dermis of mammalian skin. Nat Cell Biol 3: 778–784. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Expression of the proto-oncogene int-1 is restricted to specific neural cells in the developing mouse embryo. Cell 50: 79–88. , , , .
- 1993. Overlapping expression of Xwnt-3A and XWnt1 in neural tissue of Xenopus laevis embryos. Dev Biol 155: 46–57. , , .
- 2002. The bone morphogenetic protein antagonist Noggin is regulated by Sox9 during endochondral differentiation. Dev Growth Differ 44: 1–9. , , .
- 1996. The transcription factors SCIP and Krox-20 mark distinct stages and cell fates in Schwann cell differentiation. Mol Cell Neurosci 8: 129–145. , , , , .