Patterns & Phenotypes
Conserved molecular program regulating cranial and appendicular skeletogenesis
Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 4–13, September 2004
How to Cite
Eames, B. F. and Helms, J. A. (2004), Conserved molecular program regulating cranial and appendicular skeletogenesis. Dev. Dyn., 231: 4–13. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20134
- Issue online: 4 AUG 2004
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 29 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2004
- NIDCR. Grant Number: R29 DE12462
- Oak Foundation
- 1997. Visualization of gene expression patterns by in situ hybridization. In: DastonGP, editor. Molecular and cellular methods in developmental toxicology. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. p 23–48. , , .
- 1991. A model for development and evolution of complex morphological structures. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 66: 101–157. , .
- 1999. Sox9 is required for cartilage formation. Nat Genet 22: 85–89. , , , , .
- 2001. Patterning mechanisms controlling vertebrate limb development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 87–132. , .
- 1993. Cranial Osteogenesis in Monodelphis domestica (Didelphidae) and Macropus eugenii (Macropodidae). J Morphol 215: 119–149. , .
- 1993. The triple origin of skull in higher vertebrates: a study in quail-chick chimeras. Development 117: 409–429. , , .
- 1996. Development of the cranium and paired fins in the zebrafish, Danio rerio (Ostariophysi, Cyprinidae). J Morphol 229: 121–160. , .
- 1999. Dlx5 regulates regional development of the branchial arches and sensory capsules. Development 126: 3831–3846. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular ontogeny of the skeleton. Birth Defects Res Part C Embryo Today 69: 93–101. , , .
- 1930. CCXV. The development and phosphatase activity in vivo and in vitro of the mandibular skeletal tissue of the embryonic fowl. Biochem J 24: 1905–1920. , .
- 1998. Common molecular pathways in skeletal morphogenesis and repair. Ann N Y Acad Sci 857: 33–42. , , , , .
- 1993. Hoxa-2 mutant mice exhibit homeotic transformation of skeletal elements derived from cranial neural crest. Cell 75: 1317–1331. , , , .
- 1986. The role of movement and tissue interactions in the development and growth of bone and secondary cartilage in the clavicle of the embryonic chick. J Embryol Exp Morphol 93: 133–152. .
- 1951. A series of developmental stages in development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1965. Lillie's development of the chick: an introduction to embryology. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston. .
- 2003. BMP signals regulate Dlx5 during early avian skull development. Dev Biol 257: 177–189. , , , .
- 1997. Expression of indian hedgehog, bone morphogenetic protein 6 and gli during skeletal morphogenesis. Mech Dev 69: 197–202. , , .
- 2002. Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vault. Dev Biol 241: 106–116. , , , , .
- 2000. Indian hedgehog coordinates endochondral bone growth and morphogenesis via parathyroid hormone related-protein-dependent and -independent pathways. Development 127: 543–548. , , , , , .
- 1992. The atlas of mouse development. London: Academic Press Limited. 525 p. .
- 1997. Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts. Cell 89: 755–764. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A new long form of Sox5 (L-Sox5), Sox6 and Sox9 are coexpressed in chondrogenesis and cooperatively activate the type II collagen gene. EMBO J 17: 5718–5733. , , .
- 2002. Activation of the bone-related Runx2/Cbfa1 promoter in mesenchymal condensations and developing chondrocytes of the axial skeleton. Mech Dev 114: 167–170. , , , , , , .
- 1995. The paired-like homeo box gene MHox is required for early events of skeletogenesis in multiple lineages. Genes Dev 9: 1237–1249. , , .
- 1999. Mouse patched1 controls body size determination and limb patterning. Development 126: 4431–4440. , , , .
- 2002. The novel zinc finger-containing transcription factor osterix is required for osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Cell 108: 17–29. , , , , , , .
- 1993. FGF-4 replaces the apical ectodermal ridge and directs outgrowth and patterning of the limb. Cell 75: 579–587. , , , , .
- 1982a. Factors and mechanisms influencing bone growth. New York: Alan R. Liss. 168–203 p. .
- 1982b. Patterns and organization of craniofacial skeletogenic and myogenic mesenchyme: a perspective. Prog Clin Biol Res 101: 167–203. .
- 1997. Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development [see comments]. Cell 89: 765–771. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , .
- 1994. Msx1 deficient mice exhibit cleft palate and abnormalities of craniofacial and tooth development. Nat Genet 6: 348–356. , .
- 1972. Developmental control of three-dimensional polarity in the avian limb. Ann N Y Acad Sci 193: 29–42.
- 1997. Musculoskeletal patterning in the pharyngeal segments of the zebrafish embryo. Development 124: 2945–2960. , .
- 1999. Neural crest can form cartilages normally derived from mesoderm during development of the avian head skeleton. Dev Biol 208: 441–455. .
- 2001. The transcription factors L-Sox5 and Sox6 are essential for cartilage formation. Dev Cell 1: 277–290. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mice lacking Bmp6 function. Dev Genet 22: 321–339. , , , , , .
- 1999. Indian hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formation. Genes Dev 13: 2072–2086. , , .
- 1996. Joint patterning defects caused by single and double mutations in members of the bone morphogenetic protein BMP family. Development 122: 3969–3979. , .
- 2002. Role of Runx genes in chondrocyte differentiation. Dev Biol 245: 95–108. , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate limb development—the early stages in chick and mouse. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 476–481. , .
- 1977. Epithelial influences on skeletogenesis in the mandible of the embryonic chick. Anat Rec 188: 229–239. , .
- 2001. Skeletal malformations caused by overexpression of Cbfa1 or its dominant negative form in chondrocytes. J Cell Biol 153: 87–100. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of rate of cartilage differentiation by Indian hedgehog and PTH-related protein [see comments]. Science 273: 613–622. , , , , , .
- 1976. A procedure for differential staining of cartilage and bone in whole formalin-fixed vertebrates. Stain Technol 51: 131–134. .
- 1997. Parallel expression of Sox9 and Col2a1 in cells undergoing chondrogenesis. Dev Dyn 209: 377–386. , , , .