Patterns & Phenotypes
Tooth patterning and enamel formation can be manipulated by misexpression of TNF receptor Edar
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 2, pages 432–440, October 2004
How to Cite
Pispa, J., Mustonen, T., Mikkola, M. L., Kangas, A. T., Koppinen, P., Lukinmaa, P.-L., Jernvall, J. and Thesleff, I. (2004), Tooth patterning and enamel formation can be manipulated by misexpression of TNF receptor Edar. Dev. Dyn., 231: 432–440. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20138
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 21 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2004
- Academy of Finland
- Sigrid Juselius Foundation
- Emil Aaltonen Foundation
- 2000. Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the tooth. Development 127: 4775–4785. , , , , .
- 2002. The EDA gene is a target of, but does not regulate Wnt signaling. Gene 285: 203–211. , , .
- 1998. De novo hair follicle morphogenesis and hair tumors in mice expressing a truncated beta-catenin in skin. Cell 95: 605–614. , , , .
- 1966. The molars of the tabby mouse, and a test of the ‘single-active X-chromosome’ hypothesis. J Embryol Exp Morphol 15: 223–244. .
- 2000. Reiterative signaling and patterning during mammalian tooth morphogenesis. Mech Dev 92: 19–29. , .
- 2000. Evolutionary modification of development in mammalian teeth: quantifying gene expression patterns and topography. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 14444–14448. , , .
- 1998. Local inhibitory action of BMPs and their relationships with activators in feather formation: implications for periodic patterning. Dev Biol 196: 11–23. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Signalling and subcellular localization of the TNF receptor Edar. Exp Cell Res 269: 180–192. , , , , .
- 2001. Ectodermal dysplasia receptor activates the nuclear factor kappa B, c-Jun N-terminal kinase and cell death pathways and binds to ectodysplasin A. J Biol Chem 276: 2668–2677. , , , , .
- 1991. A deletion in the amelogenin gene (AMG) causes X-linked amelogenesis imperfecta (AIH1). Genomics 10: 971–975. , , , , , , .
- 2001. TNF signaling via the ligand-receptor pair ectodysplasin and edar controls the function of epithelial signaling centers and is regulated by Wnt and activin during tooth organogenesis. Dev Biol 229: 443–455. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor Edar. Development 129: 2541–2553. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Ectodysplasin, a protein required for epithelial morphogenesis, is a novel TNF homologue and promotes cell-matrix adhesion. Mech Dev 88: 133–146. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Over- and ectopic expression of Wnt3 causes progressive loss of ameloblasts in postnatal mouse incisor teeth. Connect Tissue Res 44(Suppl 1): 124–129. , , , , , , .
- Mouse Genome Database (MGD), Mouse Genome Informatics Web Site, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine. Available at: http://www.informatics.jax.org [accessed March 2004.]
- 2003. Stimulation of ectodermal organ development by ectodysplasin-A1. Dev Biol 259: 123–136. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cusp patterning defect in Tabby mouse teeth and its partial rescue by FGF. Dev Biol 216: 521–534. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Ectodysplasin, Edar and TNFRSF19 are expressed in complementary and overlapping patterns during mouse embryogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 675–679. , , , .
- 1999. Targeted disruption of the LAMA3 gene in mice reveals abnormalities in survival and late stage differentiation of epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 145: 1309–1323. , , , .
- 2002. A gene network model accounting for development and evolution of mammalian teeth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 8116–8120. , .
- 1999. Dominant effects of RET receptor misexpression and ligand-independent RET signaling on ureteric bud development. Development 126: 1375–1386. , , , , .
- 1994. Oral histology. St Louis: Mosby-Year Book. .
- 2002. Death receptor signaling giving life to ectodermal organs. Science's STKE http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/OC_sigtrans;2002/131/pe22. , .
- 2002. BMP signaling patterns the dorsal and intermediate neural tube via regulation of homeobox and helix-loop-helix transcription factors. Development 129: 2459–2472. , , .
- 2000. Edar/Eda interactions regulate enamel knot formation in tooth morphogenesis. Development 127: 4691–4700. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Transgenic studies with a keratin promoter-driven growth hormone transgene: prospects for gene therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 219–226. , , , .
- 1990. In situ hybridization and the three-dimensional reconstruction of serial sections. In: CoppAJ, ColeDE, editors. Postimplantation mammalian embryos. London: Oxford University Press. p 155–171. , .
- 2000. Two-amino acid molecular switch in an epithelial morphogen that regulates binding to two distinct receptors. Science 290: 523–527. , , , , , , , , .