Telomerase activity and differential expression of telomerase genes and c-myc in chicken cells in vitro
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 1, pages 14–21, September 2004
How to Cite
Swanberg, S. E., Payne, W. S., Hunt, H. D., Dodgson, J. B. and Delany, M. E. (2004), Telomerase activity and differential expression of telomerase genes and c-myc in chicken cells in vitro. Dev. Dyn., 231: 14–21. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20149
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 31 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Received: 22 APR 2004
- USDA-NRI-CGP. Grant Number: 02-35205-11568
- Fredrick Cancer Research Facility (FCRF) of the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 23XS002
- 2000. Clonally derived human embryonic stem cell lines maintain pluripotency and proliferative potential for prolonged periods of culture. Dev Biol 227: 271–278. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Human telomerase RNA and telomerase activity in immortal cell lines and tumor tissues. Cancer Res 56: 645–650. , , , , , .
- 1985. Cell lines derived from avian lymphomas exhibit two distinct phenotypes. Virology 144: 139–151. , , .
- 2000. Quantitation of hTERT gene expression in sporadic breast tumors with a real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction assay. Clin Cancer Res 6: 452–459. , , , , , , .
- 1978. A tandemly repeated sequence at the termini of the extrachromosomal ribosomal RNA genes in Tetrahymena. J Mol Biol 120: 33–53. , .
- 2003. Characterization and differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Cloning Stem Cells 5: 79–88. , , .
- 2004. Karyotype stability of the DT40 chicken B cell line: macrochromosome variation and cytogenetic mosaicism. Chromosome Res 12: 299–307. , .
- 2003. The chicken telomerase RNA gene: conservation of sequence, regulatory elements and synteny among viral, avian and mammalian genomes. Cytogenet Genome Res 102: 309–317. , .
- The chicken telomerase reverse transcriptase (chTERT): molecular and cytogenetic characterization with a comparative analysis. Gene (in press). , .
- 2003. Telomeres in the chicken: genome stability and chromosome ends. Poult Sci 82: 917–926. , , , .
- 1998. Embryonic stem cells as a model for studying regulation of cellular differentiation. Theriogenology 49: 145–151. , , , , .
- 1981. Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos. Nature. 292: 154–156. , .
- 1976. From cleavage to primitive streak formation: a complementary normal table and a new look at the first stages of development of the chick I. General morphology. Dev Biol 49: 321–337. , .
- 1999. Induction of telomerase activity in v-myc-transformed avian cells. Oncogene 18: 1515–1519. , , , , , .
- 2002. Telomerase and differentiation in multicellular organisms: turn it off, turn it on, and turn it off again. Differentiation 69: 188–197. , , .
- 1987. The distribution of two cell surface determinants of mouse embryonal carcinoma and early embryonic cells. J Reprod Immunol 10: 89–110. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1981. Reactivity of monoclonal antibodies against intermediate filament proteins during embryonic development. J Embryol Exp Morphol 64: 45–60. , , , , .
- 1994. Specific association of human telomerase activity with immortal cells and cancer. Science 266: 2011–2015. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Gene transcription through Myc family members in eukaryotic cells. Jpn J Pharmacol 80: 103–109. , , .
- 2003. Development of transgenic chickens expressing bacterial β-galactosidase. Dev Dyn 226: 439–445. , , , .
- 2001. Telomerase activity and expression of telomerase RNA component and catalytic subunits in precancerous and cancerous colorectal lesions. Tumour Biol 22: 374–382. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of gene expression during myc oncogene-induced lymphomagenesis in the bursa of Fabricius. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 6378–6383. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Establishment of germ-line-competent embryonic stem (ES) cells using differentiation inhibiting activity. Development 110: 1341–1348. , , .
- 1996. Long-term in vitro culture and characterisation of avian embryonic stem cells with multiple morphogenetic potentialities. Development 122: 2339–2348. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Chicken embryonic stem cells and transgenic strategies. Cells Tissues Organs 165: 212–219. , , .
- 2003. Establishment and maintenance of human embryonic stem cells on STO, a permanently growing cell line. Biol Reprod 69: 2007–2014. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Identification of a nonprocessive telomerase activity from mouse cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 1493–1497. , , .
- 2004. Embryonic stem cells. Cell Prolif 37: 23–34. , .
- 1995. Differentiation of immortal cells inhibits telomerase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 12343–12346. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Amplification, increased dosage and in situ expression of the telomerase RNA gene in human cancer. Oncogene 14: 1013–1021. , , , , , .
- 1998. Tumor specific regulation of telomerase RNA gene expression visualized by in situ hybridization. Oncogene 16: 979–983. , , , .
- 1980. Hormonal induction of differentiation in teratocarcinoma stem cells: generation of parietal endoderm by retinoic acid and dibutyryl cCAMP. Cell 21: 347–355. , , .
- 2003. Dynamics of telomere erosion in transformed and non-transformed avian cells in vitro. Cytogenet Genome Res 102: 318–325. , .
- 2000. Ontogeny of telomerase in chicken: impact of downregulation on pre-and postnatal telomere length in vivo. Dev Growth Differ 42: 613–621. , .
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 282: 1145–1147. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Avian blastodermal cell lines. US Patent number 6,140,118. See US Patent Office website. Available at: http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html. , , , , .
- 1988. Analysis of germ line development in the chick embryo using an anti-mouse EC cell antibody. Development 103: 299–304. , , , .
- 2002. Stem cells: hype and reality. Hematology 2002: 369–391. , , .
- 1999. Direct activation of TERT transcription by c-MYC. Nat Genet 21: 220–224. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Feeder-free growth of undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 19: 971–974. , , , , , , .