Pattern of Pax7 expression during myogenesis in the posthatch chicken establishes a model for satellite cell differentiation and renewal
Article first published online: 3 SEP 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 3, pages 489–502, November 2004
How to Cite
Halevy, O., Piestun, Y., Allouh, M. Z., Rosser, B. W.C., Rinkevich, Y., Reshef, R., Rozenboim, I., Wleklinski-Lee, M. and Yablonka-Reuveni, Z. (2004), Pattern of Pax7 expression during myogenesis in the posthatch chicken establishes a model for satellite cell differentiation and renewal. Dev. Dyn., 231: 489–502. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20151
- Issue published online: 29 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 3 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2004
- Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service-United States Department of Agriculture. Grant Number: 2003-35206-12843
- United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund. Grant Number: IS-3093-99
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- National Institute on Aging (National Institutes of Health). Grant Numbers: AG13798, AG21566
- 1979. Cellular aspects of muscle growth: myogenic cell differentiation. J Anim Sci 49: 115–127. , , .
- 1996. Myogenin expression, cell cycle withdrawal, and phenotypic differentiation are temporally separable events that precede cell fusion upon myogenesis. J Cell Biol 132: 657–666. , .
- 2000. Muscle satellite cells are multipotential stem cells that exhibit myogenic, osteogenic, and adipogenic differentiation. Differentiation 68: 245–253. , , .
- 2000. Expression of CD34 and Myf5 defines the majority of quiescent adult skeletal muscle satellite cells. J Cell Biol 151: 1221–1233. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The satellite cell and muscle regeneration. In: EngelAG, Franzini-ArmstrongC, editors. Myology. New York: McGraw-Hill. p 97–118. .
- 1999. In vivo satellite cell activation via Myf5 and MyoD in regenerating mouse skeletal muscle. J Cell Sci 112: 2895–2901. , , , , , .
- 2002. The regulation of notch signaling controls satellite cell activation and cell fate determination in postnatal myogenesis. Cell 3: 397–409. , .
- 1997. Single-cell analysis of regulatory gene expression in quiescent and activated mouse skeletal muscle satellite cells. Dev Biol 191: 270–283. , .
- 2002. Origin and differentiation of human and murine stroma. Stem Cells 20: 205–214. , .
- 1985. Muscle biopsy: a practical approach. Philadelphia: Balliere-Tindal. .
- 1991. Regulation of skeletal muscle fiber size, shape and function. J Biomech 24: 123–133. , .
- 1992. Temporal appearance of satellite cells during myogenesis. Dev Biol 153: 217–226. , .
- 1995. Colocalization of bFGF and the myogenic regulatory gene myogenin in dystrophic mdx muscle precursors and young myotubes in vivo. Dev Biol 169: 596–608. , .
- 1993. Molecular and cellular biology of muscle regeneration. In: PartridgeT, editor. Molecular and cell biology of muscular dystrophy. London: Chapman and Hall. p 210–256. , .
- 1996. The effect of growth hormone on avian skeletal muscle satellite cell proliferation and differentiation. Gen Comp Endocrinol 101: 43–52. , , .
- 2001. Early-age-heat exposure affects skeletal muscle satellite cell proliferation and differentiation in chicks. Am J Physiol 281: R302–R317. , , , , .
- 1991. Myoblasts from fetal and adult skeletal muscle regulate myosin expression differently. Dev Biol 148: 249–260. , , .
- 1992. Skeletal muscle satellite cells appear during late chicken embryogenesis. Dev Biol 153: 206–216. , , .
- 2001. Myogenic satellite cells: physiology to molecular biology. J Appl Physiol 91: 534–551. , .
- 2000. Gene expression patterns of the fibroblast growth factors and their receptors during myogenesis of rat satellite cells. J Histochem Cytochem 48: 1079–1096. , , , .
- 1997. Distributions of PAX6 and PAX7 proteins suggest their involvement in both early and late phases of chick brain development. Mech Dev 66: 119–130. , , , .
- 1995. Transcription factor families: muscling in on the myogenic program. FASEB J 9: 1595–1604. , .
- 1961. Satellite cells of skeletal muscle fibers. J Biophys Biochem Cytol 9: 493–495. .
- 1995. Retarded myogenic cell replication in regenerating skeletal muscles of old mice: an autographic study in young and old BALBc and SJL/J mice. Cell Tissue Res 280: 277–282. , .
- 1971. Satellite cells as the source of nuclei in muscles of growing rats. Anat Rec 170: 421–436. , .
- 1999. Mef2: a transcriptional target for signaling pathways controlling skeletal muscle growth and differentiation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 11: 683–688. , .
- 2003. Stochastic gene expression during cell differentiation: order from disorder? Cell Mol Life Sci 60: 1775–1778. .
- 1988. Myogenic stem cell commitment probability remains constant as a function of organismal and mitotic age. J Cell Physiol 134: 324–336. , , .
- 2000. Repression of myosin isoforms in developing and denervated skeletal muscle fibers originates near motor endplates. Dev Dyn 217: 50–61. , , , , .
- 1996. Satellite cell proliferative compartments in growing skeletal muscles. Dev Biol 175: 84–94. .
- 2000. Pax7 is required for the specification of myogenic satellite cells. Cell 102: 777–786. , , , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and culture of skeletal muscle myofibers as a means to analyze satellite cells. In: HelgasonC, MillerC, editors. Basic cell culture protocols. 3rd ed. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. pp 281–304. , .
- 1994. Temporal expression of myogenic regulatory genes during activation, proliferation, and differentiation of rat skeletal muscle satellite cells. J Cell Physiol 159: 379–385. , , .
- 1977. Myogenic cell formation in regenerating rat skeletal muscles injured by mincing. II. An autoradiographic study. Anat Rec 188: 201–217. .
- 1992. Myogenic cell lineages. Dev Biol 154: 284–298. .
- 1993. The MyoD family and myogenesis: redundancy, networks, and thresholds. Cell 75: 1241–1244. .
- 1994. Temporal expression of regulatory and structural muscle proteins during myogenesis of satellite cells on isolated adult rat fibers. Dev Biol 164: 588–603. , .
- 1995. Myogenesis in the chicken: the onset of differentiation of adult myoblasts is influenced by tissue factors. Basic Appl Myol (BAM) 5: 33–41. .
- 1998. Transitions in cell organization and in expression of contractile and extracellular matrix proteins during development of chicken aortic smooth muscle: evidence for a complex spatial and temporal differentiation program. Anat Embryol (Berl) 197: 421–437. , , .
- 1999a. The transition from proliferation to differentiation is delayed in satellite cells from mice lacking MyoD. Dev Biol 210: 440–455. , , , , , .
- 1999b. Fibroblast growth factor promotes recruitment of skeletal muscle satellite cells in young and old rats. J Histochem Cytochem 47: 23–42. , , .
- 2001. MyoD and myogenin expression patterns in cultures of fetal and adult chicken myoblasts. J Histochem Cytochem 49: 455–462. , .
- 2004. Isolation and characterization of stem cells from adult skeletal muscle. In: LanzaRP, BlauHM, GearhartJ, MeltonDA, MooreMAS, PedersenR, ThomasED, ThomsonJ, VerfaillieCM, WeissmanIL, WestMD, editors. Handbook of stem cells. San Diego: Elsevier-Academic Press. pp 571–580. .
- 2001. The skeletal muscle satellite cell: stem cell or son of stem cell? Differentiation 68: 193–204. , .
- 2002. Kinetics of myoblast proliferation show that resident satellite cells are competent to fully regenerate skeletal muscle fibers. Exp Cell Res 281: 39–49. , , , , , , , .