Patterns & Phenotypes
Histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC-1) required for the normal formation of craniofacial cartilage and pectoral fins of the zebrafish
Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 3, pages 647–654, November 2004
How to Cite
Pillai, R., Coverdale, L. E., Dubey, G. and Martin, C. C. (2004), Histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC-1) required for the normal formation of craniofacial cartilage and pectoral fins of the zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 231: 647–654. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20168
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 1 JAN 2004
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- University of Ottawa
- 1994. Combinatorial expression of three zebrafish gene related to distal-less: part of a homeobox gene code for the head. J Neurosci 14: 3475–3486. , , , , .
- 1994. Histone acetylation influences both gene expression and development of Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 165: 654–669. , , , .
- 2001. Essential role of Drosophila Hdac1 in homeotic gene silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 9730–9735. , , , , , .
- 2002. Hop is an unusual homeobox gene that modulates cardiac development. Cell 110: 713–723. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Histone deacetylase 1 is required to repress Notch target gene expression during zebrafish neurogenesis and to maintain the production of motoneurones in response to hedgehog signaling. Development 131: 2983–2995. .
- 2003. Histone deacetylases (HDACs): characterization of the classical HDAC family. Biochem J 370: 737–749. , , , , .
- 2002. Insertional mutagenesis in zebrafish rapidly identifies genes essential for early vertebrate development. Nat Genet 31: 135–140. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. HATs off to Hop: recruitment of a class I histone deacetylase incriminates a novel transcriptional pathway that opposes cardiac hypertrophy. J Clin Invest 112: 824–826. , .
- 1993. Accumulation of multiacetylated forms of histones by trichostatin A and its developmental consequences in early starfish embryos. Rouxs Arch Dev Biol 202: 144–151. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Methylated DNA and MeCP2 recruit histone deacetylase to repress transcription. Nat Genet 19: 187–191. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cardiac hypertrophy and histone deacetylase-dependent transcriptional repression mediated by the atypical homeodomain protein Hop. J Clin Invest 112: 863–871. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Roles of histone acetyltransferases and deacetylases in gene regulation. Bioessays 20: 615–626. , .
- 2002. Essential functions of histone deacetylase 1 in proliferation control and CDK inhibitor repression. EMBO J 21: 2672–2681. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting development of the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol 123: 263–273. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The Rpd3 histone deacetylase is required for segmentation of the Drosophila embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 6797–6801. , .
- 1999. A role for DNA methylation in gastrulation and somite patterning. Dev Biol 206: 189–205. , , , .
- 2003. Quantification of histone acetyltransferase and histone deacetylase transcripts during early bovine embryo development. Biol Reprod 68: 383–389. , , , .
- 2000. Mutational analysis of a histone deacetylase in Drosophila melanogaster: missense mutations suppress gene silencing associated with position effect variegation. Genetics 154: 657–668. , , .
- 1998. Transcriptional repression by the methyl-CpG-binding protein MeCP2 involves a histone deacetylase complex. Nature 293: 386–389. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Histone deacetylase mRNA temporally and spatially regulated in its expression in sea urchin embryos. Dev Growth Differ 40: 583–590. .
- 1997. What's up and down regulated with histone deacetylation and transcription? Cell 89: 325–328. , .
- 2001. The histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A influences the development of Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Mol Life Sci 58: 1715–1718. , , .
- 2001a. Involvement of histone deacetylase at two distinct steps in gene regulation during intestinal development in Xenopus laevis. Dev Dyn 222: 280–291. , , , .
- 2001b. An essential role of histone deacetylase in postembryonic organ transformations in Xenopus laevis. Int J Mol Med 8: 595–601. , , .
- 2001. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting the development of the embryonic zebrafish brain. Development 123: 165–178. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Histone deacetylases: unique players in shaping the epigenetic histone code. Ann N Y Acad Sci 983: 84–100. , , , , , .
- 1998. FGF -mediated mesoderm induction involves the Src-family kinase Laloo. Nature 394: 904–908. , , , .
- 1995. The zebrafish book. Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press. .
- 2003. Active repression by unliganded retinoid receptors in development: less is sometimes more. J Cell Biol 161: 223–228. , , .
- 2000. Histone acetylation is a checkpoint in FGF-stimulated mesoderm induction. Dev Dyn 218: 628–635. , , , , , , , , .