Drs. Cantemir and Cai contributed equally to this work.
Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) expression during cardiac neural crest cell migration and its role in proMMP-2 activation
Article first published online: 20 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 4, pages 709–719, December 2004
How to Cite
Cantemir, V., Cai, D.H., Reedy, M.V. and Brauer, P.R. (2004), Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) expression during cardiac neural crest cell migration and its role in proMMP-2 activation. Dev. Dyn., 231: 709–719. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20171
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 20 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 27 JAN 2004
- American Heart Association-Heartland Affiliate. Grant Numbers: 00516382, 0355397Z
- 1999. Tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases in cancer. Ann N Y Acad Sci 878: 108–119. , , , .
- 2001. TGF-beta3-induced palatogenesis requires matrix metalloproteinases. Mol Biol Cell 12: 1457–1466. , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (TIMPs) during early cardiac development. Mech Dev 113: 175–179. , .
- 1983. Migration of neural crest along preferred extracellular matrical pathways. Anat Rec 205: 23A. , , .
- 2000. Tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases: evolution, structure and function. Biochim Biophys Acta 1477: 267–283. , , .
- 1996. Localization of matrix metalloproteinase MMP-2 to the surface of invasive cells by interaction with integrin alpha v beta 3. Cell 85: 683–693. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The TIMP-2 membrane type 1 metalloproteinase “receptor” regulates the concentration and efficient activation of progelatinase A. A kinetic study. J Biol Chem 273: 871–880. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Human tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 3 interacts with both the N- and C-terminal domains of gelatinases A and B. Regulation by polyanions. J Biol Chem 274: 10846–10851. , , , .
- 2002. A synthetic matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor decreases early cardiac neural crest migration in chicken embryos. Dev Dyn 224: 441–449. , .
- 2000. MMP-2 expression during early avian cardiac and neural crest morphogenesis. Anat Rec 259: 168–179. , , , , .
- 2000. Inactivating mutation of the mouse tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 (TIMP-2) gene alters proMMP-2 activation. J Biol Chem 275: 26416–26422. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Specialized surface protrusions of invasive cells, invadopodia and lamellipodia, have differential MT1-MMP, MMP-2, and TIMP-2 localization. Ann N Y Acad Sci 878: 361–371. , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinases regulate morphogenesis, migration and remodeling of epithelium, tongue skeletal muscle and cartilage in the mandibular arch. Development 124: 1519–1530. , .
- 2000. Decreased neural crest stem cell expansion is responsible for the conotruncal heart defects within the splotch (Sp(2H))/Pax3 mouse mutant. Cardiovasc Res 47: 314–328. , , , , , .
- 1998. Phagocytosis of cross-linked gelatin matrix by human breast carcinoma cells correlates with their invasive capacity. Clin Cancer Res 4: 507–515. , , , .
- 1994. Specific roles of the alpha V beta 1, alpha V beta 3 and alpha V beta 5 integrins in avian neural crest cell adhesion and migration on vitronectin. Development 120: 2687–2702. , , , , , .
- 1997. Matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation modulates glioma cell migration. J Cell Sci 110: 2473–2482. , , , , .
- 2001. MT1-MMP initiates activation of pro-MMP-2 and integrin alpha v beta 3 promotes maturation of MMP-2 in breast carcinoma cells. Exp Cell Res 263: 209–223. , , , , , , .
- 2004. MMP-2 plays an essential role in producing epithelial-mesenchymal transformations in the avian embryo. Dev Dyn 229: 42–53. , .
- 1999. Key roles of retinoic acid receptors alpha and beta in the patterning of the caudal hindbrain, pharyngeal arches and otocyst in the mouse. Development 126: 5051–5059. , , , , .
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinase-2 is required for the switch to the angiogenic phenotype in a tumor model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 3884–3889. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Structural and functional uncoupling of the enzymatic and angiogenic inhibitory activities of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2): loop 6 is a novel angiogenesis inhibitor. J Biol Chem 278: 40989–40995. , , , .
- 1998. Defined concentrations of a posteriorizing signal are critical for MafB/Kreisler segmental expression in the hindbrain. Development 125: 1173–1181. , , , .
- 2000. Binding of active (57 kDa) membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) to tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase (TIMP)-2 regulates MT1-MMP processing and pro-MMP-2 activation. J Biol Chem 275: 12080–12089. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) regulate fibrin-invasive activity via MT1-MMP-dependent and -independent processes. J Exp Med 195: 295–308. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Membrane type I matrix metalloproteinase usurps tumor growth control imposed by the three-dimensional extracellular matrix. Cell 114: 33–45. , , , , , .
- 1995. Degradation of vitronectin by matrix metalloproteinases-1, -2, -3, -7 and -9. FEBS Lett 369: 249–251. , , .
- 1997. Degradation of decorin by matrix metalloproteinases: identification of the cleavage sites, kinetic analyses and transforming growth factor-beta1 release. Biochem J 322(Pt 3): 809–814. , , , , .
- 2000. Analysis of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 effect on pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation by membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase using baculovirus/insect-cell expression system. Biochem J 345: 511–519. , , , .
- 1987. Cardiac morphogenesis—recent research advances. Pediatr Res 21: 219–224. .
- 1989. Plasticity and predetermination of mesencephalic and trunk neural crest transplanted into the region of the cardiac neural crest. Dev Biol 134: 402–412. .
- 1983. Neural crest cells contribute to normal aorticopulmonary septation. Science 220: 1059–1061. , , .
- 1999. Tumor targeting with a selective gelatinase inhibitor. Nat Biotech 17: 768–774. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-3 (TIMP-3) is an extracellular matrix-associated protein with a distinctive pattern of expression in mouse cells and tissues. J Biol Chem 269: 9352–9360. , , , , .
- 2000. Hindbrain patterning: FGFs regulate Krox20 and mafB/kr expression in the otic/preotic region. Development 127: 4925–4935. , .
- 1999. Matrix metalloproteinase 2 (gelatinase A) is related to migration of keratinocytes. Exp Cell Res 251: 67–78. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Epidermal growth factor receptor function is necessary for normal craniofacial development and palate closure. Nat Genet 22: 69–73. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Biology and biochemistry of proteinases in tumor invasion. Physiol Rev 73: 161–195. , .
- 2001. Cellular activation of MMP-2 (gelatinase A) by MT2-MMP occurs via a TIMP-2-independent pathway. J Biol Chem 276: 47402–47410. , , , , , .
- 1997. Activation mechanisms of matrix metalloproteinases. Biol Chem 378: 151–160. .
- 1997. Transmembrane/cytoplasmic domain-mediated membrane type 1-matrix metalloprotease docking to invadopodia is required for cell invasion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 7959–7964. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Matrix metalloproteinase 2 from human rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts. Purification and activation of the precursor and enzymic properties. Eur J Biochem 194: 721–730. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. A new inhibitor of metalloproteinases from chicken: ChIMP-3, a third member of the TIMP family. J Biol Chem 267: 17321–17326. , , , .
- 1996. Inhibitory effects of PG-H/aggrecan and PG-M/versican on avian neural crest cell migration. FASEB J 10: 293–301. , , , , , .
- 1990. Absence of neural crest cells from the regions surrounding implanted notochords in situ. Dev Biol 142: 335–346. , , .
- 1996. Age-dependent inhibition of neural crest migration by the notochord correlates with alterations in the S103L chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan. Exp Cell Res 225: 195–206. , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of gelatinase A (MMP-2) by batimastat and captopril reduces tumor growth and lung metastases in mice bearing Lewis lung carcinoma. Int J Cancer 81: 761–766. , , , , .
- 1997. MT1-MMP correlates with MMP-2 activation potential seen after epithelial to mesenchymal transition in human breast carcinoma cells. Clin Exp Metastasis 15: 111–120. , , , , , , .
- 2003. TIMP-2 mediated inhibition of angiogenesis: an MMP-independent mechanism. Cell 114: 171–180. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Different susceptibility of small and large human tenascin-C isoforms to degradation by matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem 270: 8650–8654. , , , , , .
- 2000. Degradation of type IV collagen by matrix metalloproteinases is an important step in the epithelial-mesenchymal transformation of the endocardial cushions. Dev Biol 227: 606–617. , , .
- 1995. Mechanism of cell surface activation of 72-kDa type IV collagenase. Isolation of the activated form of the membrane metalloprotease. J Biol Chem 270: 5331–5338. , , , , , .
- 2000. TIMP-2 acts synergistically with synthetic MMP inhibitors but not with TIMP-4 to enhance the MT1-MMP-dependent activation of pro-MMP-2. J Biol Chem 275: 41415–41423. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Membrane proteases in focus. Nature 370: 14–15. , .
- 1998. Development of the great arteries. In: de la CruzMV, MarkwaldRR, editors. Living morphogenesis of the heart. Boston, MA: Birkhauser. p 187–217. , .
- 2000. TIMP-2 is required for efficient activation of proMMP-2 in vivo. J Biol Chem 275: 26411–26415. , , .
- 1998. Extracellular matrix remodeling during morphogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 857: 110–118. , .
- 1996. The soluble catalytic domain of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase cleaves the propeptide of progelatinase A and initiates autoproteolytic activation. Regulation by TIMP-2 and TIMP-3. J Biol Chem 271: 17119–17123. , , , , .
- 1995. Matrix metalloproteinases are expressed during ductal and alveolar mammary morphogenesis, and misregulation of stromelysin-1 in transgenic mice induces unscheduled alveolar development. Mol Biol Cell 6: 1287–1303. , , .
- 1991. Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in connective tissue remodeling. FASEB J 5: 2145–2154.
- 2003. Compensation mechanism in tumor cell migration: mesenchymal-amoeboid transition after blocking of pericellular proteolysis. J Cell Biol 160: 267–277. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. TIMP-3 binds to sulfated glycosaminoglycans of the extracellular matrix. J Biol Chem 275: 31226–31232. , , , ,
- 2003. The expression of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2 (TIMP-2) is required for normal development of zebrafish embryos. Dev Genes Evol 213: 382–389. , , , ,
- 1998. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 (TIMP-2) binds to the catalytic domain of the cell surface receptor, membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase 1 (MT1-MMP). J Biol Chem 273: 1216–1222. , , , , , , , , .