J.A. Germiller and E.C. Smiley contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Molecular characterization of conditionally immortalized cell lines derived from mouse early embryonic inner ear
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 231, Issue 4, pages 815–827, December 2004
How to Cite
Germiller, J. A., Smiley, E. C., Ellis, A. D., Hoff, J. S., Deshmukh, I., Allen, S. J. and Barald, K. F. (2004), Molecular characterization of conditionally immortalized cell lines derived from mouse early embryonic inner ear. Dev. Dyn., 231: 815–827. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20186
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2004
- NIH. Grant Numbers: RO1DC04184, R01 DC05939
- NSF. Grant Number: IBN9906424
- Deafness Research Foundation
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-HNS
- 1998. Cell fate choices and the expression of Notch, Delta and Serrate homologues in the chick inner ear: parallels with Drosophila sense-organ development. Development 125: 4645–4654. , , , , , , .
- 2004. From placode to polarization: new tunes in inner ear development. Development 131: 4119–4130. , .
- 1997. Immortalized cell lines from embryonic avian and murine otocysts: tools for molecular studies of the developing inner ear. Int J Dev Neurosci 15: 523–540. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Math1: an essential gene for the generation of inner ear hair cells. Science 284: 1837–1841. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000a. Molecular genetics of pattern formation in the inner ear: do compartment boundaries play a role? Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 11700–11706. , , , , .
- 2000b. A fate map of chick otic cup closure reveals lineage boundaries in the dorsal otocyst. Dev Biol 227: 256–270. , , .
- 1999. Ectopic noggin blocks sensory and nonsensory organ morphogenesis in the chicken inner ear. Dev Biol 216: 369–381. , , , , .
- 1998. The differential sensitivities of inner ear structures to retinoic acid during development. Dev Biol 204: 136–150. , , .
- 2000. Sensory organ generation in the chicken inner ear: contributions of bone morphogenetic protein 4, serrate1, and lunatic fringe. J Comp Neurol 424: 509–520. , , , , , .
- 1994. Structure of the mammalian cochlea. In: FayRR, PopperAN, editors. Comparative hearing: mammals. Springer handbook of auditory research. Vol. 4. New York: Springer. p 134–171. , , .
- 1994. Alpha9: an acetylcholine receptor with novel pharmacological properties expressed in rat cochlear hair cells. Cell 79: 705–715. , , , , .
- 2001. Alpha 10: a determinant of nicotinic cholinergic receptor function in mammalian vestibular and cochlear mechanosensory hair cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 3501–3506. , , , , , .
- 2003. Zic2 is required for neural crest formation and hindbrain patterning during mouse development. Dev Biol 264: 391–406. , , , , .
- 1996. Role of transcription factors Brn-3 1 and Brn-3 2 in auditory and visual system development. Nature 381: 603–606. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cell fate specification in the inner ear. Curr Opin Neurobiol 6: 533–541. .
- 2000a. Making sense of making hair cells. Trends Neurosci 23: 386. .
- 2000b. Ear rings: FGF3 involvement comes full circle. Trends Neurosci 23: 332. .
- 2002. Revisiting cell fate specification in the inner ear. Curr Opin Neurobiol 12: 35–42. , .
- 1998. Hair cells and supporting cells share a common progenitor in the chicken inner ear. J Neurosci 18: 7811–7821. , , .
- 2001. Evolution and development of the vertebrate ear. Brain Res Bull 55: 711–721. , .
- 1997. The role of neurotrophic factors in regulating the development of inner ear innervation. Trends Neurosci 20: 159–164. , , , .
- 1991. The cellular environment controls the expression of engrailed-like protein in the cranial neuroepithelium of quail/chick-chimeric embryos. Development 113: 1037–1048. , .
- 2000. Addition of the BMP4 antagonist, noggin, disrupts avian inner ear development. Development 127: 45–54. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cloning and expression analysis of the chick DAN gene, an antagonist of the BMP family of growth factors. Dev Dyn 224: 109–115. , , , .
- 1995. Cell-specific expression of the alpha9-n-Ach receptor subunit in auditory hair cells revealed by single-cell RT-PCR. Proc R Soc Lond B 262: 141–147. , , , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1997. Unconventional myosins in inner ear sensory epithelia. J Cell Biol 137: 1287–1307. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Parvalbumin 3 is an abundant Ca2+ buffer in hair cells. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 3: 488–498. , , , , .
- 1995. Ventral mesodermal patterning in Xenopus embryos: expression patterns and activities of BMP2 and BMP4. Dev Genet 17: 78–89. , .
- 1991. Ganglion formation from the otic placode and the otic crest in the chick embryo: mitosis, migration, and the basal lamina. Anat Embryol (Berl) 184: 113. , .
- 1994. Growth factors in development: the role of TGF-beta related polypeptide signaling molecules in embryogenesis. Dev Suppl: 53–60. , , , , .
- 1997. Conditional immortalization of hair cells from the inner ear. Int J Dev Neurosci 15: 541–552. , , .
- 1991. Direct derivation of conditionally immortal cell lines from an H2KbtsA58 transgenic mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 88: 5096–5100. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Establishment and characterization of conditionally immortalized organ of Corti cell lines. Cell Biol Int 23: 175–184. , , , .
- 2003. Math1 gene transfer generates new cochlear hair cells in mature guinea pigs in vivo. J Neurosci 23: 4395–4400. , , , , .
- 1997. The LIN12/Notch signaling pathway and its regulation. Ann Rev Cell Dev Biol 13: 333–361. , .
- 1997. Notch on the cutting edge. Trends Genet 13: 465–467. , .
- 1999. Notch signaling pathway mediates hair cell development in mammalian cochlea. Nat Genet 21: 289–292. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Lineage analysis in the chicken inner ear shows differences in clonal dispersion for epithelial, neuronal, and mesenchymal cells. Dev Biol 234: 120–137. , .
- 1999. Differentiation of mammalian vestibular hair cells from conditionally immortal, postnatal supporting cells. J Neurosci 19: 9445–9458. , , , , .
- 1997. The mouse tectorins. Modular matrix proteins of the inner ear homologous to components of the sperm-egg adhesion system. J Biol Chem 272: 8791–8801. , , , .
- 1996. Neurogenic genes and vertebrate neurogenesis. Curr Opin Neurobiol 6: 3–10. .
- 2003a. Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4): a regulator of capsule chondrogenesis in the developing mouse inner ear. Dev Dyn 226: 427–438. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development 130: 2213–2224. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci 18: 3327–3335. , , , , .
- 1999. Production and growth of conditionally immortal cell lines from the H-2KbtsA58 transgenic mouse. Methods Mol Biol 97: 139–158. .
- 1996. Differential expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in the developing vestibular and auditory sensory organs. J Neurosci 16: 6463–6475. , , .
- 2002a. Cell lines in inner ear research. J Neurobiol 53: 306–318. , .
- 2002b. Asymmetric segregation of mitochondria and mortalin correlates with the multi-lineage potential of inner ear sensory cell progenitors in vitro. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 133: 49–56. , .
- 1998. Auditory hair cell precursors immortalized from the mammalian inner ear. Proc R Sco Lond B Biol Sci 265: 1595–1603. , , , , , .
- 2002. Transcript profiling of functionally related groups of genes during conditional differentiation of a mammalian cochlear hair cell line. Genome Res 12: 1091–1099. , , , , .
- 1997. Transcription factors and the control of inner ear development. Semin Cell Dev Biol 8: 249–256. .
- 2003. Real-time quantitative RT-PCR for low-abundance transcripts in the inner ear: analysis of neurotrophic factor expression. Hearing Res 185: 97–108. , .
- 2000a. Cellular studies of audatory hair cell regeneration in birds. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 97: 11714–11721. , .
- 2000b. Temporal, spatial, and morphologic features of hair cell regeneratoin in the avian basilar papilla. J Comp Neurol 417: 1–16. , .
- 1997. Antagonism within and around the organizer: BMP inhibitors in vertebrate body patterning. Trends Genet 13: 209–211. .
- 2003. Retinoic acid repression of BMP4 in inner ear development. Mol Cell Biol 23: 2277–2286. , , , .
- 1998. Mutation in transcription factor POU4F3 associated with inherited progressive hearing loss in humans. Science 279: 1950–1954. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. TGF-beta related genes in development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 4: 517–522. , .
- 2003. Expression of ZIC genes in the development of the chick inner ear and nervous system. Dev Dyn 226: 702–712. , , , , , .
- 2000. Notch signaling and the emergence of auditory hair cells. Arch Otol Head Neck Surg 126: 1244–1248. , , .
- 1997. Essential role of POU-domain factor Brn-3c in auditory and vestibular hair cell development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 9445–9450. , , , , , , , .