Commitment of embryonic stem cells to an epidermal cell fate and differentiation in vitro
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 232, Issue 2, pages 293–300, February 2005
How to Cite
Troy, T.-C. and Turksen, K. (2005), Commitment of embryonic stem cells to an epidermal cell fate and differentiation in vitro. Dev. Dyn., 232: 293–300. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20223
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 17 AUG 2004
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Grant Number: MOP 13656
- 1963. A modification of the Mallory connective tissue stain as a stain for keratin. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 16: 580–581. , .
- 1996. Differentiation of embryonal stem cells into keratinocytes: comparison of wild-type and beta 1 integrin-deficient cells. Dev Biol 179: 184–196. , , , .
- 2003. Bone nodule formation via in vitro differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells. Methods Enzymol 365: 241–251. .
- 1997. Regulation of gene expression in developing epidermal epithelia. Bioessays 19: 691–698. .
- 1994. Programming gene expression in developing epidermis. Development 120: 2369–2383. , , .
- 1989. Expression of keratin K14 in the epidermis and hair follicle: insights into complex programs of differentiation. J Cell Biol 109: 2295–2312. , , .
- 1985. The in vitro development of blastocyst-derived embryonic stem cell lines: formation of visceral yolk sac, blood islands and myocardium. J Embryol Exp Morphol 87: 27–45. , , , , .
- 1981. Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos. Nature 292: 154–156. , .
- 1993. Epidermal differentiation and keratin gene expression. J Cell Sci Suppl 17: 197–208. .
- 1994. The epidermis: rising to the surface. Curr Opin Genet Dev 4: 725–736. , .
- 1994. Modulation of the differentiated phenotype of keratinocytes of the hair follicle and from epidermis. J Dermatol Sci 7 (Suppl): S142–S151. , , , .
- 2004. Derivation of embryonic germ cells and male gametes from embryonic stem cells. Nature 427: 148–154. , , , , , .
- 2003. Generation of functional radial glial cells by embryonic and adult forebrain neural stem cells. J Neurosci 23: 11587–11601. , .
- 1989. Stem cells: the generation and maintenance of cellular diversity. Development 106: 619–633. , .
- 2003. In vitro differentiation of embryonic stem cells into hepatocytes. Methods Enzymol 365: 277–287. , .
- 2003. Ectopic expression of kruppel like factor 4 (Klf4) accelerates formation of the epidermal permeability barrier. Development 130: 2767–2777. , , .
- 2002. Epithelial barrier function: assembly and structural features of the cornified cell envelope. Bioessays 24: 789–800. , , .
- 1997. Primary mouse keratinocyte cultures contain hair follicle progenitor cells with multiple differentiation potential. J Invest Dermatol 109: 534–540. , , , , .
- 1993. Hematopoietic commitment during embryonic stem cell differentiation in culture. Mol Cell Biol 13: 473–486. , , , .
- 1989. A new look into an old problem: keratins as tools to investigate determination, morphogenesis, and differentiation in skin. Genes Dev 3: 1–15. , .
- 2002. Epidermal differentiation: transgenic/knockout mouse models reveal genes involved in stem cell fate decisions and commitment to differentiation. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 7: 41–45. , , .
- 2001. Characterisation of Wnt gene expression during the differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells in vitro: role of Wnt3 in enhancing haematopoietic differentiation. Mech Dev 103: 49–59. , , , , , .
- 2003. Generation of hair cells by stepwise differentiation of embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 13495–13500. , , , .
- 2004. Extensive tissue-regenerative capacity of neonatal human keratinocyte stem cells and their progeny. J Clin Invest 113: 390–400. , , , .
- 2003. The in vitro differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells into neutrophils. Methods Enzymol 365: 129–142. , , .
- 2001. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secreting structures similar to pancreatic islets. Science 292: 1389–1394. , , , , , .
- 1981. Isolation of a pluripotent cell line from early mouse embryos cultured in medium conditioned by teratocarcinoma stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 78: 7634–7638. .
- 1998. Onset of keratin 17 expression coincides with the definition of major epithelial lineages during skin development. J Cell Biol 143: 469–486. , .
- 1996. Keratin 19 as a biochemical marker of skin stem cells in vivo and in vitro: keratin 19 expressing cells are differentially localized in function of anatomic sites, and their number varies with donor age and culture stage. J Cell Sci 109(Pt 5): 1017–1028. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of epidermal differentiation by a Distal-less homeodomain gene. J Cell Biol 135: 1879–1887. , , .
- 1993. Derivation of completely cell culture-derived mice from early-passage embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 8424–8428. , , , , .
- 2003. Complex redundancy to build a simple epidermal permeability barrier. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 776–782. .
- 1999. Klf4 is a transcription factor required for establishing the barrier function of the skin. Nat Genet 22: 356–360. , , .
- 1999. Mouse Sprr2 genes: a clustered family of genes showing differential expression in epithelial tissues. Genomics 55: 28–42. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Limb bud progenitor cells induce differentiation of pluripotent embryonic stem cells into chondrogenic lineage. Differentiation 71: 578–585. , , .
- 1999. In vitro characteristics of early epidermal progenitors isolated from keratin 14 (K14)-deficient mice: insights into the role of keratin 17 in mouse keratinocytes. J Cell Physiol 180: 409–421. , .
- 1991. Positive and negative immunoselection for enrichment of two classes of osteoprogenitor cells. J Cell Biol 114: 373–384. , .
- 2001. Claudin-6: a novel tight junction molecule is developmentally regulated in mouse embryonic epithelium. Dev Dyn 222: 292–300. , .
- 2002. Permeability barrier dysfunction in transgenic mice overexpressing claudin 6. Development 129: 1775–1784. , .
- 2003. Overexpression of the calcium sensing receptor accelerates epidermal differentiation and permeability barrier formation in vivo. Mech Dev 120: 733–744. , .
- 2002. Role of integrins in regulating epidermal adhesion, growth and differentiation. Embo J 21: 3919–3926. .
- 2001. The status of Wnt signalling regulates neural and epidermal fates in the chick embryo. Nature 411: 325–330. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Principles of Development. London: Oxford University Press. , , , , , .