Patterns & Phenotypes
Identification of neural genes using Xenopus DNA microarrays
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 232, Issue 2, pages 432–444, February 2005
How to Cite
Shin, Y., Kitayama, A., Koide, T., Peiffer, D. A., Mochii, M., Liao, A., Ueno, N. and Cho, K. W.Y. (2005), Identification of neural genes using Xenopus DNA microarrays. Dev. Dyn., 232: 432–444. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20229
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 31 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HD38761, HD29507
- 1993. Antisense attenuation of Wnt-1 and Wnt-3a expression in whole embryo culture reveals roles for these genes in craniofacial, spinal cord, and cardiac morphogenesis. Dev Genet 14: 500–520. , , .
- 1995. Anterior neurectoderm is progressively induced during gastrulation: the role of the Xenopus homeobox gene orthodenticle. Development 121: 993–1004. , .
- 2003. Twisted gastrulation loss-of-function analyses support its role as a BMP inhibitor during early Xenopus embryogenesis. Development 130: 4975–4988. , , .
- 1997. An essential role for retinoid signaling in anteroposterior neural patterning. Development 124: 373–379. , , , , , .
- 1996. Cerberus is a head-inducing secreted factor expressed in the anterior endoderm of Spemann's organizer. Nature 382: 595–601. , , , , .
- 1991. DM-GRASP, a novel immunoglobulin superfamily axonal surface protein that supports neurite extension. Neuron 7: 209–220. , , , , , .
- 2003. Dkk1 and noggin cooperate in mammalian head induction. Genes Dev 17: 2239–2244. , , , , .
- 1996. Foreign gene expression in Hansenula polymorpha. A system for the synthesis of small functional peptides. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 45: 72–79. , , , , , .
- 1998. Characterization of cellular nucleic acid binding protein from Xenopus laevis: expression in all three germ layers during early development. Dev Dyn 211: 123–130. , , .
- 2002. Xenopus marginal coil (Xmc), a novel FGF inducible cytosolic coiled-coil protein regulating gastrulation movements. Mech Dev 113: 3–14. , , .
- 2002. Gene expression pattern analysis of the tight junction protein, Claudin, in the early morphogenesis of Xenopus embryos. Gene Expr Patterns 2: 23–26. , , , , .
- 1997. Head induction by simultaneous repression of Bmp and Wnt signalling in Xenopus. Nature 389: 517–519. , , , , .
- 1998. Dickkopf-1 is a member of a new family of secreted proteins and functions in head induction. Nature 391: 357–362. , , , , , .
- 1997. Direct neural induction and selective inhibition of mesoderm and epidermis inducers by Xnr3. Development 124: 483–492. , , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1995. Disruption of BMP signals in embryonic Xenopus ectoderm leads to direct neural induction. Genes Dev 9: 2923–2935. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A concise guide to cDNA microarray analysis. Biotechniques 29: 548–550, 552–544, 556 passim. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Vertebrate neural induction. Annu Rev Neurosci 20: 43–60. , .
- 1994. Follistatin, an antagonist of activin, is expressed in the Spemann organizer and displays direct neuralizing activity. Cell 77: 283–295. , , .
- 1998. Regionalized metabolic activity establishes boundaries of retinoic acid signalling. EMBO J 17: 7361–7372. , , , .
- 1996. Xotx genes in the developing brain of Xenopus laevis. Mech Dev 55: 145–158. , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Molecular characterization of a karyophilic, histone-binding protein: cDNA cloning, amino acid sequence and expression of nuclear protein N1/N2 of Xenopus laevis. EMBO J 5: 3547–3552. , , , .
- 1998. Geminin, a neuralizing molecule that demarcates the future neural plate at the onset of gastrulation. Development 125: 3247–3258. , , , .
- 1993. Neural induction by the secreted polypeptide noggin. Science 262: 713–718. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Improved statistical inference from DNA microarray data using analysis of variance and a Bayesian statistical framework. Analysis of global gene expression in Escherichia coli K12. J Biol Chem 276: 19937–19944. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cloning and expression of a novel zinc finger gene, Fez, transcribed in the forebrain of Xenopus and mouse embryos. Mech Dev 93: 201–204. , , , , .
- 1992. Analysis of Xwnt-4 in embryos of Xenopus laevis: a Wnt family member expressed in the brain and floor plate. Development 115: 463–473. , , .
- 1999. Direct regulation of the Xenopus engrailed-2 promoter by the Wnt signaling pathway, and a molecular screen for Wnt-responsive genes, confirm a role for Wnt signaling during neural patterning in Xenopus. Mech Dev 87: 21–32. , , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 1998. Xenopus Zic-related-1 and Sox-2, two factors induced by chordin, have distinct activities in the initiation of neural induction. Development 125: 579–587. , , , , .
- 1998. Differential expression of the HMG box transcription factors XTcf-3 and XLef-1 during early xenopus development. Mech Dev 75: 151–154. , , , , , .
- 2002. RGM is a repulsive guidance molecule for retinal axons. Nature 419: 392–395. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Dickkopf1 is required for embryonic head induction and limb morphogenesis in the mouse. Dev Cell 1: 423–434. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Gene profiling during neural induction in Xenopus laevis: regulation of BMP signaling by post-transcriptional mechanisms and TAB3, a novel TAK1-binding protein. Development 129: 5529–5540. , , , , .
- 2000. A novel member of the Xenopus Zic family, Zic5, mediates neural crest development. Mech Dev 99: 83–91. , , , .
- 2002. XSPR-1 and XSPR-2, novel Sp1 related zinc finger containing genes, are dynamically expressed during Xenopus embryogenesis. Mech Dev 115: 117–122. , , .
- 1997. Characterization and early embryonic expression of a neural specific transcription factor xSOX3 in Xenopus laevis. Int J Dev Biol 41: 667–677. , , , , .
- 2000. A direct screen for secreted proteins in Xenopus embryos identifies distinct activities for the Wnt antagonists Crescent and Frzb-1. Mech Dev 96: 183–195. , .
- 1995. Regulation of neural induction by the Chd and Bmp-4 antagonistic patterning signals in Xenopus. Nature 376: 333–336. , , , .
- 2001. Early patterning of the prospective midbrain-hindbrain boundary by the HES-related gene XHR1 in Xenopus embryos. Mech Dev 109: 225–239. , , , , .
- 2000. The putative wnt receptor Xenopus frizzled-7 functions upstream of beta-catenin in vertebrate dorsoventral mesoderm patterning. Development 127: 1981–1990. , , , .
- 1994. A truncated bone morphogenetic protein receptor affects dorsal-ventral patterning in the early Xenopus embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 10255–10259. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Participation of transcription elongation factor XSII-K1 in mesoderm-derived tissue development in Xenopus laevis. J Biol Chem 275: 32011–32015. , , .
- 2000. Distinct expression of two types of Xenopus Patched genes during early embryogenesis and hindlimb development. Mech Dev 98: 99–104. , , , , , .
- 2003. The prickle-related gene in vertebrates is essential for gastrulation cell movements. Curr Biol 13: 674–679. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Microarray optimizations: increasing spot accuracy and automated identification of true microarray signals. Nucleic Acids Res 30: e54. , , , , , .
- 2003. The developmental expression of cell cycle regulators in Xenopus laevis. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 179–192. , .
- 1995. Induction of epidermis and inhibition of neural fate by Bmp-4. Nature 376: 331–333. , .
- 1993. Overlapping expression of Xwnt-3A and Xwnt-1 in neural tissue of Xenopus laevis embryos. Dev Biol 155: 46–57. , , .
- 1997. Studies on the role of fibroblast growth factor signaling in neurogenesis using conjugated/aged animal caps and dorsal ectoderm-grafted embryos. J Neurosci 17: 6892–6898. , , , , .
- 1995. The homeobox-containing gene XANF-1 may control development of the Spemann organizer. Development 121: 3839–3847. , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of Xenopus L-arginine:glycine amidinotransferase (XAT) during early embryonic development. Dev Genes Evol 211: 358–360. , , .