Control of basement membrane remodeling and epithelial branching morphogenesis in embryonic lung by Rho and cytoskeletal tension
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 232, Issue 2, pages 268–281, February 2005
How to Cite
Moore, K. A., Polte, T., Huang, S., Shi, B., Alsberg, E., Sunday, M. E. and Ingber, D. E. (2005), Control of basement membrane remodeling and epithelial branching morphogenesis in embryonic lung by Rho and cytoskeletal tension. Dev. Dyn., 232: 268–281. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.20237
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2004
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HL67669, HL44984
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship for Physicians
- 2004. The mechanical and cytoskeletal basis of lung morphogenesis. In: MassaroDJ, MassaroGD, ChambonP, editors. Lung development and regeneration. New York: Marcel Dekker. p 247–274. , , , , .
- 1996. Phosphorylation and activation of myosin by Rho-associated kinase (Rho kinase). J Biol Chem 271: 20246–20249. , , , , , , , .
- 1973. Effects of papaverine and calcium-free medium on salivary gland morphogenesis. Dev Biol 33: 463–469. , , .
- 1997. Cell anchorage and the cytoskeleton as partners in growth factor dependent cell cycle progression. Curr Opin Cell Biol 9: 93–98. , .
- 1977. Basal lamina of embryonic salivary epithelia. Production by the epithelium and role in maintaining lobular morphology. J Cell Biol 73: 445–463. , , .
- 1999. Self-assembly of fibronectin into fibrillar networks underneath dipalmitoyl phosphatidylcholine monolayers: role of lipid matrix and tensile forces. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 12518–12523. , .
- 1980. Protein synthesis requires cell-surface contact while nuclear events respond to cell shape in anchorage-dependent fibroblasts. Cell 21: 365–372. , , .
- 1988. Cell–cell and cell–matrix interactions differentially regulate the expression of hepatic and cytoskeletal genes in primary cultures of rate hepatocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85: 2161–2165. , , , .
- 1972. Dependence of salivary epithelial morphology and branching morphogenesis upon acid mucopolysaccharide-protein proteoglycan at the epithelial surface. J Cell Biol 52: 674–689. , , .
- 1984. Remodeling of the basement membrane: morphogenesis maturation. Ciba Found Symp 108: 179–196. , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of microtubules in the control of adhesion-dependent signal transduction. Curr Biol 6: 1279–1289. , , , , .
- 2003. Cellular and subcellular localization of the small G protein RhoA in the human and rat embryonic and adult kidney. Acta Histochem 105: 89–97. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Modulation of physiological angiogenesis in skeletal muscle by mechanical forces: involvement of VEGF and metalloproteinases. Angiogenesis 6: 1–14. , .
- 1997. Tracheal ligation increases cell proliferation but decreases surfactant protein in fetal murine lungs. J Pediatr Surg 32: 207–211. , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of cytoskeletal mechanics and cell growth by myosin light chain phosphorylation. Am J Physiol 275: C1349–C1356. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Geometric control of cell life and death. Science 276: 1425–1428. , , , , .
- 1994. Tenascin-C expression by fibroblasts is elevated in stressed collagen gels. J Cell Biol 127: 2093–2101. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of extracellular matrix synthesis by mechanical stress. Biochem Cell Biol 74: 737–744. , , , , .
- 1996. Rho-stimulated contractility drives the formation of stress fibers and focal adhesions. J Cell Biol 133: 1403–1415. , .
- 1991. Effects of antibodies to myosin light chain kinase on contractility and myosin phosphorylation in chemically permeabilized smooth muscle. Circ Res 68: 457–465. , , , , .
- 1997. Alpha3beta1 integrin is required for normal development of the epidermal basement membrane. J Cell Biol 137: 729–742. , , , , .
- 2002. CNF1 exploits the ubiquitin-proteasome machinery to restrict Rho GTPase activation for bacterial host cell invasion. Cell 111: 553–564. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Microtubule involvement in regulating cell contractility and adhesion-dependent signalling: a possible mechanism for polarization of cell motility. Biochem Soc Symp 65: 147–172. , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanical induction of Twist in the Drosophila foregut/stomodeal primordium. Curr Biol 13: 1365–1377. .
- 1991. G1/S control of anchorage-independent growth in the fibroblast cell cycle. J Cell Biol 115: 1419–1425. , .
- 1995. Mechanical properties of the extracellular matrix influence fibronectin fibril assembly in vitro. Exp Cell Res 217: 109–117. , .
- 1999. Caldesmon inhibits nonmuscle cell contractility and interferes with the formation of focal adhesions. Mol Biol Cell 10: 3097–3112. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The structural and mechanical complexity of cell-growth control. Nat Cell Biol 1: E131–E138. , .
- 1998. Control of cyclin D1, p27kip1, and cell cycle progression in human capillary endothelial cells by cell shape and cytoskeletal tension. Mol Biol Cell 9: 3179–3193. , , .
- 1984. Changing patterns of fibronectin, laminin, type IV collagen, and a basement membrane proteoglycan during rat Mullerian duct regression. Dev Biol 102: 260–263. , , , , .
- 1990. Fibronectin controls capillary endothelial cell growth by modulating cell shape. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 8: 3579–3583. .
- 2003. Mechanosensation through integrins: cells act locally but think globally. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 1472–1474. .
- 1985. Cells as tensegrity structures: architectural regulation of histodifferentiation by physical forces transduced over basement membrane. In: AndersonLC, GahmbergCG, EkblomP, editors. Gene expression during normal and malignant differentiation. Orlando: Academic Press. p 13–32. , .
- 1986. A possible mechanism for inhibition of angiogenesis by angiostatic steroids; induction of capillary basement membrane dissolution. Endocrinology 119: 1768–1775. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of myosin phosphatase by Rho and Rho associated kinase (Rho kinase). Science 273: 245–248. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of the association of adducin with actin filaments by Rho-associated kinase (Rho-kinase) and myosin phosphatase. J Biol Chem 273: 5542–5548. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Epithelial synthesis of tenascin at tips of growing bronchi and graded accumulation in basement membrane and mesenchyme. Exp Cell Res 194: 297–300. , , , , , .
- 1996. Alpha 3 beta 1 integrin has a crucial role in kidney and lung organogenesis. Development 122: 3537–3547. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Functional role of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in mammary epithelial cell development. J Cell Physiol 188: 75–88. , , , .
- 1987. Influence of a reconstituted basement membrane and its components on casein gene expression and secretion in mouse mammary epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 84: 136–140. , , , , , .
- 1994. Growth of the fetal lung. J Dev Physiol 6: 237–248. .
- 1996. Two distinct phases of apoptosis in mammary gland involution: proteinase- independent and -dependent pathways. Development 122: 181–193. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Signaling from Rho to the actin cytoskeleton through protein kinases ROCK and LIM-kinase. Science 285: 895–898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Rho-kinase phosphorylates COOH-terminal threonines of ezrin/radixin/moesin (ERM) proteins and regulates their head-to-tail association. J Cell Biol 140: 647–657. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Loss of alpha3beta1 integrin function results in an altered differentiation program in the mouse submandibular gland. Dev Dyn 220: 337–349. , , , , .
- 1999. Genetic control of branching morphogenesis. Science 284: 1635–1639. , .
- 1998. A correlation between epithelial proliferation rates, basement membrane component localization patterns, and morphogenetic potential in the embryonic mouse lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 19: 71–82. , .
- 2002. Control of embryonic lung branching morphogenesis by the Rho activator, cytotoxic necrotizing factor 1. J Surg Res 194: 95–100. , , , , .
- 1996. The effect of mechanical forces on in utero lung growth in congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Clin Perinatol 23: 741–752. , .
- 1998. Bud formation precedes the appearance of differential cell proliferation during branching morphogenesis of mouse lung epithelium in vitro. Dev Dyn 13: 228–235. , , .
- 2003. Caldesmon- dependent switching between capillary endothelial cell growth and apoptosis through modulation of cell shape and contractility. Angiogenesis 6: 55–64. , , , , , .
- 2002. Directional control of lamellipodia extension by constraining cell shape and orienting cell tractional forces. FASEB J 16: 1195–1204. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cell locomotion and focal adhesions are regulated by substrate flexibility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 13661–13665. , .
- 1999. High resolution detection of mechanical forces exerted by locomoting fibroblasts on the substrate. Mol Biol Cell 10: 935–945. , .
- 1992. Interaction with basement membrane serves to rapidly distinguish growth and differentiation pattern of normal and malignant human breast epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 9064–9068. , , , .
- 2004. Extracellular matrix controls myosin light chain phosphorylation and cell contractility through modulation of cell shape and cytoskeletal prestress. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286: C518–C528. , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of the small GTP-binding protein Rho by cell adhesion and the cytoskeleton. EMBO J 18: 578–585. , , .
- 1999. Electrical restitution and spatiotemporal organization during ventricular fibrillation. Circ Res 84: 955–963. , ,
- 2001. Focal contacts as mechanosensors: externally applied local mechanical force induces growth of focal contacts by an mDia1-dependent and ROCK-independent mechanism. J Cell Biol 153: 1175–1186. , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Selective inhibition of catalytic activity of smooth muscle myosin light chain kinase. J Biol Chem 262: 7796–7801. , , , , .
- 1976. Mesenchyme-dependent morphogenesis and epithelium-specific cytodifferentiation in mouse mammary gland. Science 194: 1439–1441. , , .
- 1998. Effects of mechanical forces on lung-specific gene expression. Am J Med Sci 316: 200–204. , , , , , .
- 2003. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions are linked to neovascularization. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol [Epub]. , , , .
- 1994. Engineering cell shape and function. Science 264: 696–698. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Rho-kinase inhibitor retards migration and in vivo dissemination of human prostate cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 269: 652–659. , , , , , .
- 1988. Calcium control of smooth muscle contractility. Am J Med Sci 296: 241–245. , , .
- 1991. Proteinases of the mammary gland: developmental regulation in vivo and vectorial secretion in culture. Development 112: 439–449. , , , , .
- 2003. Cells lying on a bed of microneedles: an approach to isolate mechanical force. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 1484–1489. , , , , , .
- 1998. p160ROCK mediates RhoA activation of Na-H exchange. EMBO J 17: 4712–4722. , , , .
- 1998. Functional and structural mapping of human cerebral cortex: solutions are in the surfaces. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 788–795. , , , .
- 2003. Effects of mechanical tension on matrix degradation by human periodontal ligament cells cultured in collagen gels. J Periodontal Res 38: 449–457. .
- 2001. Rho kinases play an obligatory role in vertebrate embryonic organogenesis. Development 128: 2953–2962. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Timing of cyclin D1 expression within G1 phase is controlled by Rho. Nat Cell Biol 3: 950–957. , , , , , .
- 1980. Effects of inhibition of basement membrane collagen deposition on rat mammary gland development. Dev Biol 80: 253–256. , , , .
- 2000. The effects of mechanical forces on lung functions. Respir Physiol 119: 1–17. , .
- 1999. Involvement of the small GTPases XrhoA and XRnd1 in cell adhesion and head formation in early Xenopus development. Development 126: 5339–5351. , , , .
- 2002. Cyclic strain stimulates early growth response gene product 1-mediated expression of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase in endothelium. Lab Invest 82: 949–956. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Adhesion-dependent control of matrix metalloproteinase-2 activation in human capillary endothelial cells. J Cell Sci 113: 3979–3987. , , , .